Dogomania

Information on the Ori pei

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I am interested in the new breed called ori-pei. This is a mix of shar-pei and pug. I had a shar-pei that we had to put to sleep because of advanced liver disease and I am looking for a dog. Can anyone give me any information about breeders or about the dog. I live in Southern New Jersey, but would definitley travel to get a dog. Thanks to anyone who could help me.

Danielle

To Regulars:
This oripei thing keeps cropping up, either this is the next doodle craze or the same someone keeps bringing it up.

To Cleo:
I understand your interest in a dog similar to your beloved pet but you may find that people here are against "designer breeds." There are thousands of dogs euthanized in shelters every day. There are plenty of purebreds with tons of diversity. If you really are interested in a paticular cross, keep an eye on your shelters and Petfinder and try getting one there. If you really liked the Shar-pei breed than go with that again, get one from a reputable breeder, visit their residence, ensure its not a puppymill and that all health checks have been done. "Designer breeds" have a slightly greater tendency to be milled breeds, also breeders of these dogs rarely do health checks, further they ensure that more mutts die in shelters. While I understand why people breed purebreds (to preserve and improve the breed and compete in events restricted to) purebreds I think that there are probably to many people breeding them as well, but I don't even get why people breed mutts when there are plenty in shelters.

Guest Anonymous

I am sorry I got everyone in a tizzy. I had no idea about "designer dogs" I was just searching for an animal I thought would be healthier. OF course I check petfinder everyday and will adopt above all. No wonder why PETA gets a bad rap for being so angry.

Guest Anonymous

I wasn't asking for opinions at all just information. I still haven't got that. I just want to know if anyone knows their life expectancy, are they healthier, and if anyone knows of breeders. I tried to email a breeder and all her answers where short and she was about zero help. I really don't care if people don't like "designer dogs". That is just stupid. If a mix can help sick dogs become healthier dogs then why is that a problem?

This is just my opinion, but putting togther 2 breeds that do have medical problems, is a bit odd to me. I don't like the way the dogs in the pics differ from dog to dog. If this is supposed to be a "new breed" shouldn't they all look alike? I really don't have any info on them, other then their a pug/shar-pei cross.

Try asking for information from a breeder that you might be inclined to go to. If they are not helpful than don't buy a dog from them. I won't be surprised if most of the breeders you ask are not helpful though. Most people breeding designer dogs are not responsible breeders.

Here's a site with some info: [url]http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/oripei.htm[/url]

It says health problems are not known but I wouldn't think they would be any healtheir than the average shar-pei or pug. Maybe try looking for info on Aaron Silver as he is the person who "developed" the breed.

Guest Anonymous

First of all, I didn't think that was even POSSIBLE :o :o

Second, (I don't know much about either so someone correct me if I'm wrong) are both breeds really prone to health problems, because from what I know of, they have become really bred into for looks. I would be thinking hip dysplasia and lots of breathing problems :-?
But if you are really interested, keep searching I don't know much about them... but deffently don't get one from a "breeder" rather a shelter. Breeders of these "breeds" usually don't do health tests so your more likely to get a messed up dog then if you got a pure of either, at least from a shelther your not encouraging this "breeder" to keep producing them :wink:

cleo,
While there are quite a few people who believe that dog breeds could use a bit of outbreeding to improve the frequency of genetic disease in some breeds (ANYONE here will tell you I am one of those people btw), there is no reason to believe that a single cross between 2 unhealthy dog lines will lead to healthy offspring. The types of disease that are prevalent as genetic disease were "bred" (please regulars no offense intended here I am not talking about ALL pure bred dogs, just poorly bred lines) into certain breeds of dogs over generations and genereations of careful breeding will be required to undo the dammage. PLEASE listen to everyone here and find a reputable breeder. Unfortunately the types of people who are likely to be making "designer" dogs are likely to be the types of people trying to breed for money's sake. These types of people don't care about the dogs they breed or the dogs they sell. I know that when you came here you never imagined these types of responses, but these people care more about dogs than you can imagine. Really check it out, you will be SHOCKED to know how many dogs are euthanized every year, I know that I sure was!

Guest Anonymous

Thank you all for your replies. They do make sense because I got my sharpei from a breeder and when I found out she had shar pei fever at the age of 2, I called the breeder and he had no clue what the heck I was talking about. I should learn my lesson. I will just go on petfinder everyday. I guess I just miss my dog so much and loved her breed, that I wanted a dog like that. I cannot get another pure shar-pei again because of everything we went through. She was very sick in the end and we took excellent care of her. My dad still cries almost everyday and I hate to see him like that. I will just keep a close eye to petfinder and maybe go visit some shelters. That is hard too, because I want them all. Thanks for your help.

Cleo,
Sorry to hear about your loss btw. I understand how hard it is to loose a beloved pet. My sister just lost a cat she had for 16 years, terrible to go through. I'm sure your family will give a wonderful forever home to another dog who needs a home.

I know what your saying about shelters, I plan on having about 4 more dogs once I get a house (about 4 more cats too, LOL).

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

[quote name='cleo']I wasn't asking for opinions at all just information. I still haven't got that. I just want to know if anyone knows their life expectancy, are they healthier, and if anyone knows of breeders. I tried to email a breeder and all her answers where short and she was about zero help. I really don't care if people don't like "designer dogs". That is just stupid. If a mix can help sick dogs become healthier dogs then why is that a problem?[/quote]

Ok, I've got an Ori Pei that I dearly love AND I have an Australian terrier that I rescued. They are both great dogs. Moses, the Ori Pei is a wonderful guy, but he does have severe allergies. He's only a little over a year old, so I don't know if he has any other problems. I've been told he has a pug disposition (very sweet). Once a dog is born, does it really matter where it is gotten?

[quote]Once a dog is born, does it really matter where it is gotten?[/quote]

Very true, which is why if you are after a certain mix then you should try and source one through the various rescue networks.

However I would never recommend that someone go through a designer dog breeder. All it does is makes the circle continue and encourages them to keep breeding.

The dogs themselves are the innocent parties it's the unscrupulous people breeding them that really p*## me off.

Cleo, here's a wonderful shar-pei rescue site, and I know that sometime they get shar-pei mixes too (or they hear of mixes being in shelters in need of rescue)--why don't you contact them and let them know you'd be interested in a shar-pei mix?
[url]http://www.californiasharpeirescue.com/[/url]
Word of caution: I know of one person who has a shar-pei mix and her dog is still fevering. So you can never be 100% sure. But I resolved that the risk comes with this wonderful breed, and I could never have any other dog.

Guest Anonymous

Thank you everyone for your information. Mouseatthebusstop, where are you from or at least the breeders w/ the excellent line. I love shar pei's but I honestly don't know if I can get the breed again because of the devistating death my dog cleo went through. I love this breed and want to make sure I am doing the right thing. I live in the Southern NJ area. All you guys are great w/ your responding. I am learning alot.!

Guest Anonymous

Hey Cleo:

Don't let pedigree snobs discourage you from pursuing an "ori-pei".

Remember, people like them created so-called pure breeds which are [u][b]all[/b][/u] designer dogs bred to have certain characteristics. The unintended, but real, consequences are diseases and ailments ranging from bad hips to cancer. It's a shame what breeders do to get the look they want.

We have a pug-shar pei mix which we adopted from a rescue organization.
It's a beautiful dog. We chose it for our lifestyle, home size, and because of its unique personality. We wouldn't have sought one from a breeder.

Most breeders are just profiteers. Even the Amish have over produced breeds just to make a buck. They could care less about what happens to the dogs once they're sold. Cha-ching.

I would encourage you to check the rescue groups and shelters first. There are some great dogs out there that need a home. Please help them before you help a breeder.

God made mutts #1