Dogomania

dog love cat food?

mydogroxy

for some reason, roxy seems to go crazy for cat food. whether she's eating kibble or barf, she always sneaks some cat food in. i don't understand, though because it's not out of hunger. sometimes she will finish her food and walk over to the cat food immediately for dessert. and i can't imagine that it tastes very good (these are my mother's cats and she feeds them low quality food). has anyone ever heard of a dog crazy about cat food?

ME!

Felix and Kusac trade food dishes all the time. It's gotten to the point that I have to lock Kusac in the laundry room until they are BOTH finished eating. That way I know they both have gotten enough of their individual nutrional needs. As long as Roxy is getting all her nutrional needs there's no need to worry.

• 1 month later...

[quote name='MajiesMom']Cat food is bad for dogs. I would not allow my dog to eat cat food. Cat's require a lot more protein than dogs so it is not suitable or safe for dogs. They love it but they can't have it - cat's only. :)[/quote]

It can't be any higher in protein than the BARF diet. Besides the fact that is's higher in protein than kibble, why else is it bad?

I've never known a healthy dog that got sick from cat food. Just curious really.

the main problem with dogs eating cat food (mainly dry food though) is that cat food is much more nutrient dense than dog food, so if a dog eats too much of it, chances are he will get fat. also, if a dog eats cat food and is not drinking enough water or unable to process enough water, there is immense stress on the kidneys, since they have to process all the nitrogen from protein digestion. kidney disease is one of the leading causes of death in domestic dogs.

it's not really appropriate to compare feeding a dog (protein richer) cat food and a raw ("BARF" or whatever) diet, since fresh food [b]always[/b] brings in plenty of moisture for the body to process it. ever noticed how animals eating fresh food (or even canned food without dry food added) have a much lower daily water intake? also, look at the calorie content of for example 1 cup of dry cat food, 1 cup of dry dog food and 1 cup of fresh food. chances are that the kibble is at least twice as concentrated as the raw, and the cat kibble is a lot more nutrient dense than the dog kibble.

so basically you are pumping too much of a "good thing" into the dog's digestive system, and excess in any form is unhealthy.

other than that, vitamins, minerals and other nutrients are "fine tuned" to meet a cats dietary needs, which are quite different from those of a dog.

generally you could probably feed a dog on commercial cat food if you do not overfeed, but a cat will never be able to survive on dog food.