Dogomania

breeding bulldogs

Guest Anonymous

If I understand it right :-?

She want to know, "when is the right time for her bitch to go into heat?" :hmmmm:

Which if that is the question, then 6 monthes is usually the first heat but some may go into a later heat at about 1 year.

But then if you are asking when is the right time to breed her............... you first need to get all the proper test done to make sure that she healthy and able to breed.

2 to 2 1/2 years would be a good age to breed, that way she is muture and has gone though her fist 2 seasons.

I totally agree, Mei-Mei. MANY bulldog pups have to be born by C-section because their heads are just too large for a vaginal delivery to be possible. Please, for the health of your dogs and her pups, only consider this is if you are a very experienced breeder (which I'm guessing you're not) or are being mentored by one.

Oh, I'm sorry! I misunderstood. I had a big giant post on what a responsible breeder would do or how long to wait and then as I was looking over everyones reply's I didn't see and thing about him wanting to breed. :changes:

I would wait till the dog in question is WAY out of her puppy stages breeding her in her first heat cycle is not only dangerous it can result in health problems for her such as growth stunt, ect. Before our Rotty was ours she had a batch of pups at too early of an age and is now stunted and small. :cry:

Where do people get the idea that just because they own a pure bred they should breed it? Or that the best way to go about breeding a dog is to find a pure bred, find a mate (possibly *shudder* of a different breed, eg labradoodle) and let them go at it!!!! Its not that easy, and there are countless "good" breeders out there who spend decades trying to perfect the breed, countless hours doing research etc and for what? So people can buy their pups from inexperienced breeders and go on to breed pups of their own, probably full of all sorts of genetic defects!!!
Ok, my advice to you, if you have looked in to the breed and have yourself a top quality dog get involved in showing and see if you can accomplish a tittle. After 2 or more years your bitch should be old enough to breed - NOT BEFORE!!!! If your dog comes into season do EVERY THING THAT YOU CAN to ensure no other dog gets near her. You have ALOT of reasearching to do before you can even consider breeding her, and especially bulldogs are NOT a good breed for first timers!!! So contact her breeder, she can help you select a stud dog and go through the ropes with you. She will know her dogs better than any one else, so she should be able to tell you what sort of possible birth problems may exist in her lines, and what dog is best to breed yours with, as if she is a good breeder she will have already done a great deal of research into blood lines and what goes best with what.
If this isn't the case, and you just picked up your pup from an ad in the newspaper, or, heaven forbid, the pet shop DO NOT BREED, GET YOUR BITCH SPAYED BEFORE SHE GOES IN TO HEAT!!!! It will be the best for everyone.

[quote name='Aroura']Where do people get the idea that just because they own a pure bred they should breed it? Or that the best way to go about breeding a dog is to find a pure bred, find a mate (possibly *shudder* of a different breed, eg labradoodle) and let them go at it!!!! Its not that easy, and there are countless "good" breeders out there who spend decades trying to perfect the breed, countless hours doing research etc and for what? So people can buy their pups from inexperienced breeders and go on to breed pups of their own, probably full of all sorts of genetic defects!!!
Ok, my advice to you, if you have looked in to the breed and have yourself a top quality dog get involved in showing and see if you can accomplish a tittle. After 2 or more years your bitch should be old enough to breed - NOT BEFORE!!!! If your dog comes into season do EVERY THING THAT YOU CAN to ensure no other dog gets near her. You have ALOT of reasearching to do before you can even consider breeding her, and especially bulldogs are NOT a good breed for first timers!!! So contact her breeder, she can help you select a stud dog and go through the ropes with you. She will know her dogs better than any one else, so she should be able to tell you what sort of possible birth problems may exist in her lines, and what dog is best to breed yours with, as if she is a good breeder she will have already done a great deal of research into blood lines and what goes best with what.
If this isn't the case, and you just picked up your pup from an ad in the newspaper, or, heaven forbid, the pet shop DO NOT BREED, GET YOUR BITCH SPAYED BEFORE SHE GOES IN TO HEAT!!!! It will be the best for everyone.[/quote]

everything I wanted to say was said here! :wink: You go gurl! :wink:

As much as I hate to go against the grain....I've never been one to bite my tounge...

But how are new breeders soppose to get started? Without asking questions, hopefully chris has headed our advice and not got scared of us for calling him bad right away. Maybe I misunderstood again. I have been working for years under a very responisble breeder and as soon as I become of age I will manage the kennals, and even know I am considered in some places..by some people "bad" because at one pointed I wanted to perfect the Rottwieler breed, now I have found a different proffesion because I could never let anyone take the pups because I would be too attached and then I would never have time to train dogs for SAR. But even if I still wanted to I would always be considered or questioned of being a back-yard breeder, just because I haven't been raising dogs for years before. :changes:

"The way to get started" is NOT simply to buy a dog and suddenly breed it at the first chance you get, without even knowing a thing about breeding! You have to at least know the breeds history, possible birth defects etc etc etc before you even get the dog!!! It takes a lot of research to successfully breed good dogs!
Coming on a forum and asking when a bitch will come in to heat to me, says this person has never even owned a dog before, let alone is ready to breed one!!! Especially such a complicated breed!!!
Hope that answers your question icey, would elaborate but am missing my favourite show as I type!!! :o