Dogomania

Guess it's that time 8-(

Daisysmom

Well, Chelsea is going under the knife soon......
Since she was a rescue, I tried to get a low cost spay for her from the humane society where we got her in Maryland, but they don't offer that. So, I called my local shelter and got a couple of phone numbers. I am going through Friends of Animals. :D It will only cost $75.00 compared to $177.00 at our vet.

If anyone is looking for low cost spay or neuter, go to [url]www.friendsofanimals.org[/url] I am saving over $100 and believe me, we have spent our share of $$$$$$$$$ at the vet :o

$177 to spay? That is ludicrous! This is an expected normal spay? I am amazed the local humane society does not offer more help, not everyone would search for a lower cost alternative. Some would simply give up and not spay when faced with such a high cost.
Good for you and good for Chelsea.

Amazing how costs vary. It cost me $40 to have Candy spayed AND adopt her. Granted, I was fostering her and had already taken her to the vet on my own to have her treated for kennel cough. My vet was a champion himself, he cut me a HUGE break for her exam, a rabies shot and meds for the kennel cough. She is also a smaller dog, the Richmond SPCA charged me what they paid for her spay.
I just wonder, all the donations that do go to humane societies and rescue orgs, is too much of it going to admin cost in some cases? Please don't think I am trying to slam these groups, I bow to those who put their heart and soul into rescue, I am also involved in rescue too. But when spay/neuter is so heavily promoted and advertised, there HAS to be reasonable cost involved. WE ARE DOG PEOPLE! We understand and embrace the responsibility and know the ramifications of having intact dogs about. Not everyone, say your 'average' pet owner, can afford or is willing to shell out that kind of money to spay/neuter dogs! The economy is tight and many simply don't have that kind of money, lets see, pay the rent, feed the kids or spay the dog. Oh the dog will stay in the backyard, then if she gets pregnant, off to the shelter she goes with her litter.

Guest Anonymous

I find the cost of spaying/neutering outrageous. They want everyone to do this to their animals yet the price is high (I think 40 is too much!) If they want more people to do this they need to make it available at a low cost.

A lot of it depends on where you live and the cost of living in that area. It was $150 to spay Freebee, but ony $60 to neuter Alex, because that's not extensive surgery. I think the fees are determined by area, and roughly how much money exists in the town in general.

[quote name='shorty']It cost $160.00 to neuter Shorty. :([/quote]

Wendy, was this a normal, no complications neuter? Were both testicles descended? If so, $160 is outrageous.
Jesse was monorchid and his neuter cost $110 almost 11 years ago. I can understand that as they had to go into his abdomen for the retained testicle.
Maybe here is Richmond VA we are really lucky to have such a strong petfix coalition that puts their money where their mouths are.

hope it all goes well. she'll be fine, just keep her from running too much and licking it and whatnot.

when i adopted dresden last august i paid $62, it included two vet exams and her first two sets of puppy shots at the shelter, and it included her spay fee........i felt like that was extremely reasonable......i do agree that vets charge WAY too much though.

Well, she's just okay :roll: Poor baby cried when she got out of the car and is really still out of it. Sigh...... sleeping again, which I know is good for her. I don't remember Daisy being so tender and slow.... I'm sure she will be fine in a couple of days :-?