Dogomania

scared

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Oh! By the way .... I am African American! So, lets not make this a race issue! This is a dog issue!
Why is a person ignorant because they do not agree with your views on a subject?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote]Let's not forget about the people that left their newborn in a room alone with their pitbull.[/quote]

Alright, then lets not forget about the people that left their 4 lbs pomeranian with their baby.....and the dog attacked and killed the baby...so why not ban pomeranians too!? I've been bit by two dog myself, broke the skin, needed stitches. guess what? they were a miniture poodle and a yorkie. I did nothing too those dogs. I only needed stitches for the yorkie. NO breed "turns" on you. It just dosen't work that way. And yes, I do love Pit Bulls. One of my dogs is half pit bull. But guess what? my border collie would be 10 times more likely to bite someone. He is a herding breed and when he gets excited he'll nip. Its in his blood. It is however NOT in a pit bull's blood to bite a person.

Guest Anonymous

I will never believe that pitbulls are a wonderful breed to own! I was attacked two times in my life by dogs! They were both pitbulls! Not a mix breed, and not a lab! Pitbulls! So, yes I am bias. As far as the race issue comment you should direct that question to the reply by hillside.
Everyone keeps saying that I am basing my view on pitbulls because of what I've read or saw on TV. That is not the case. ATTACKED! ME! TWICE! PITBULLS! What part of that don't you understand?

And guess what! Read this ATTACKED! YORKIE! MINITURE POODLE! But a friend of mine has a yorkie and I love this dog. And actually you weren't attacked twice. It says: [quote]I opened my door one day to take out the trash, and a Pitbull ran into my house and chased my Shar-pei under my bed! Not to mention knocking me over, and I was 8 months pregnant.[/quote]

I'm sorry this dog knocked you over, and I'm glad your dog is alright too, but did this dog bite you? The owner is at fault here for not having control of his dog, but in my eyes this is not an attack. [/quote]

Guest Anonymous

How can you say,"It's not in a pitbulls blood to fight?" They used to breed them FOR fighting. They are fighting dogs!
Pomeranians are cute, but they are really bad too. Not as bad as pitbulls. You have to look at the statistics! There is a reason some countries do not allow you to breed them. Guess what people? I'm not the only one that feels this way about pitbulls.

Did I say fight ANYWHERE in my post?! No! I said biting a person.s, which is the absolute truth. Animal aggression and human aggression are completely different. If they weren't, I couldn't have my border collies, because what stops them from herding me? they were bred to herd sheep, just like pit bulls were bred to fight OTHER DOGS AND BULLS not people. I agree there are some bad pit bulls out there, just like any breed. And they are so overbred, that yes, you will get a few that are people aggressive. But that is not the normal. I seriously urge you to do research on the real breed. I used to be afraid of pit bulls myself, but when I got my pit mix, I did research and found the truth. Even if your opinion doesn't change, just try to find the truth.

Both the above posts are very true. Do some research lady, statistics say whatever people want them to say. It's obvious to me that u're ears have gone deaf to what we are saying. U HAVE to keep an open mind with this subject! So I'm not even going to waste my breath.............

Guest Anonymous

You do not call a pitbull knocking me over pregnant an attack? Excuse me, I think it is. His aggression was not aimed at me personally, but I got hurt in the process. He ran into MY house! It was an attacked on my house. Yes, he was after my dog. He hurt my dog as well. My dog could not fit under my bed with ease. He hurt his back trying to escape this beast.

[quote name='Morgen']How can you say,"It's not in a pitbulls blood to fight?" They used to breed them FOR fighting. They are fighting dogs!
Pomeranians are cute, but they are really bad too. Not as bad as pitbulls. You have to look at the statistics! There is a reason some countries do not allow you to breed them. Guess what people? I'm not the only one that feels this way about pitbulls.[/quote]

Graaargh!!! :evil: I'm getting sick of theese comments. I don't own a pit, but I'm starting to wish I did so I could prove you wrong! :evil:
Yes they were bred to fight BEFORE. But by SICK, TWISTED and HORRIBLE people! I hate them for it!! I hate all people that fight their dogs, because it's because of this that pits are seen as a dangerous breed.
And why are pomerians not as dangerous? BECAUSE THEY ARE SMALL!

Let's take my mom for an instance. I've told her I'm going to get a big peruvian hairless sometime when I've moved away, and she replied by: "Well in that case I'm not coming to your house in case it bites.". Why doesn't she say this of my two current dogs? Because they are SMALL.
That's the diffirence.
Have you ever heard of a vicious killer machine called a Chihuahua? Probabely not because they are so cute and cuddly. The truth is I know atleast one "yo quiero taco bell" who's vicious and bites anyone in sight. I don't say that ALL Chihuahuas are bad because of this either now am I?
I allso haven't met a single good German Shephard. Two that I have known have killed another dog. One has NEARLY done that. Two have attacked a dog with his owner. My list goes on. I've lost faith in them personally, but don't say they don't make good pets for someone who can HANDLE and SCHOOL them!

Ok, now I'm really gettin PO'd. I'd better go, because I'm on the verge of exploding! :evil:

Guest Anonymous

I agree with you about pitbulls. I was attacked by one when I was six. I love dogs too! Not pitbulls. I own Jack Russ. I have to tell you though, you stumbled on to nasty topic. I just thought I would tell you that there are people out there that agree with you. Not alot on this site.

Morgan,

All of us here love dogs of all breeds, shapes & sizes. What we don't really like is breed hatred and stereotyping.

[quote]Finally, you need to "come-on!" There is a reason people fear them! They can not be trusted! They will turn on you! Do you know what both owners said to me? " I'm sorry, I don't understand? He has never done anything like this before." Let's not forget about the people that left their newborn in a room alone with their pitbull. If that attack is not good enough for you then I DON'T KNOW WHAT ELSE TO TELL YOU[/quote]

I also just want to comment on some of the things you said above.

[quote]They will turn on you! [/quote] - I don't believe any dog [b]ever[/b] just turns (unless for a medical reason). The reason that bites most often occur in instances like this is because of behavior that the owner has instilled in the dog. Most of the time this is done unwittingly even if their intentions are good. Too many people own dogs and have no idea how to correctly train them nor do they have any understanding about pack order.

And in regards to the people that left their newborn baby alone in the room with their dog - that is just blatant stupidity and totally irresponsible. I can guarantee you that most of people on this board regardless of what breed of dog they have will NEVER EVER leave a young child alone with their dog. It's basic common sense!

The Pit Bull as a breed is not to blame for all the instances that occur it's stupid people that shouldn't ever have a dog of any breed.

[quote name='Morgen']I will never believe that pitbulls are a wonderful breed to own! I was attacked two times in my life by dogs! They were both pitbulls! Not a mix breed, and not a lab! Pitbulls! So, yes I am bias. As far as the race issue comment you should direct that question to the reply by hillside.
Everyone keeps saying that I am basing my view on pitbulls because of what I've read or saw on TV. That is not the case. ATTACKED! ME! TWICE! PITBULLS! What part of that don't you understand?[/quote]

Yup, I used African-Americans as an example of bias and stereotypes that are, oh let's see here, not always the truth. And nope, it wasn't a racist comment as much as anyone would like it to be. ( For the record, I go on tour and work for a fairly well known reggae band from Jamaica and am personally Native American.) Generalizing that every single member of a certain breed ( or race for that matter) is no good and apt to turn on you is still a very broad statement and patently untrue. What is it that they say about when you assume?

Sorry you were bit as a kid Morgen, I truly am. I was bit by a cocker mix when I was a youngin. But honey you were not attacked in the second instance. The dog didn't look at you and say to itself, " Hey I think I'll visciously knock that woman down and BONUS she is pregnant too!"

And yet another thing for the record, you said something about us loving our pitbulls more than we like people?
Guess what? I don't own and never have owned a pit bull.
I have a big old fluffy Samoyed.

Guest Anonymous

I will step up on that one--loving our pit bulls more than people.

Iam getting weary with the constant dramatics from people who dont know jack about the breed. Just because you see some half-breed mutt walking down the street and it has a short coat doesnt make it a pit bull. If someone tells you its a pit bull that doesnt make it a pit bull. you were attacked very troubling I am sure. But to think that you blame not those individual dogs but thier entire breed for that.... comeon, its silly.
i got beat up by a bully when i was a kid-- i didnt turn my back on the entire human race nor do i hate a chunky little white kids. That INDIVIDUAL was a jerk. you have to come off it... I am the last one to tell you that all pit bulls are angels. In fact i dont think any of us have said that. But all pit bulls are not killers. There are some dogs of all breeds that have bed temperments. You met one and the other just sounds like a dog with bad manners(not an attack) Please dont feel like I am belittleing your incident.. I know grown men who are terrified of water deeper than a foot, because of almost drowning as kids. But that doesnt make that fear any more valid.

i guarentee you if you met a APBT not a pitbull (HUGE DIFFERENCE) trained, socialized, and under control you would change your mind about the breed.

My pit bull has been attacked by a lab, and the Sharpei that belongs to those same people who own the lab has cornered people in their own yards, growling and snarling. I could draw conclusions on breeds based on those two dogs, but I realize that ownership plays a big part, and that these dogs aren't enough to base my opinion on an entire breed on.

[quote name='Morgen']You do not call a pitbull knocking me over pregnant an attack? [/quote]
No... I call that a dog knocking a person over. The other details are trivial in this case, because a dog can't tell while it is rushing past someone that the person is pregnant, and ANY dog over 30 lbs can knock over a person if they want to.

[quote]He ran into MY house! It was an attacked on my house.[/quote]
No... an attack on your house is what termites do. This was a loose dog that decided to wander into your house. Big difference.

[quote]Yes, he was after my dog. He hurt my dog as well. My dog could not fit under my bed with ease. He hurt his back trying to escape this beast.[/quote]
Again, you seem to be assuming. Unless the loose dog actually was aggressing at your dog, how do you know he was "after" your dog. And it's not the loose dog's fault that your dog was unable to fit under your bed (though dogs really shouldn't be going into other peoples' houses). Your dog was not hurt by the loose dog, he was hurt because he apparently didn't realize that big dogs don't fit in small spaces. That's like someone complaining because their kid ran from one of those clowns that hands out balloons at malls and tripped on their shoelace on the way.

[quote]Let's not forget about the people that left their newborn in a room alone with their pitbull. If that attack is not good enough for you then I DON'T KNOW WHAT ELSE TO TELL YOU[/quote]
My cousin died at age 3 months when his parents left him sleeping in his swing while they went into another room to watch tv, their two old dogs out there with him. Somehow his swing got tipped over, and he had bites likely caused by the smaller of the two dogs (neither pit bulls, one was a Dachshund, one was a Chow). Given what you have said above, I suppose all dachshunds should be abolished from the face of the Earth?

While what happened was a tragedy, it was also one that could have been prevented, but was not (though it was a hard learned lesson for them, they realized that accidents can happen even with the most trustworthy of dogs). You can ban all the breeds you want, but that won't make people take responsibility for their dogs, and until that happens, there will always be dog bites and dog attacks.

First, I admit I am a bit torn on the pit and LIMITED BSL or LIMITED all breed legislation or enforcement of exisiting laws issues. So maybe you wont be interested in opinion but here it is for what its worth. If someone comes here upset about pit bulls and you tell them or imply to them that they are ignorant, that they aren't educated in this issue, that they can't possibly understand pits as well as you or in other ways dismiss them quickly - you will not change their minds. Don't give them the standerd arguments right away, hear them, address their concerns - Goo, I was always reassurred that there was at least some good pit owners out there when I heard about how you cared for your dog and how you understood the specifics of your breed and their potentials both good and bad, how you ensured that your dog would never be running loose both for others good and for its. Starting with stuff like that would be much more effective in my opinion, then follow up with a reference to stats and pits being sometimes dog aggressive (not that dog aggression is permisable) but usually not human aggresive.
I know people who post negative things about pits are sometimes trolls but sometimes they aren't they are people who have legitimate concern or a bad experience with the breed. If they have had a bad experience it is possible for you to begin to change their minds.

Oh, I do understand that having the breed you care for attacked all the time, and having to fight a PR battle is hard paticularly when many other owners of your breed are not working with you. Don't loose heart, those of you doing true good need to keep on going if your going, you might say you will need to show unparralled determination :wink: , to win for your doggies.

Guest Anonymous

I just thought I'd clarify this:Technically, pitbull is not a breed, but a type of dog that includes American Pit Bull Terriers, American Staffordshire Terriers, Staffordshire Bull Terriers, and Bull Terriers, among others.

So,Morgan,when you say you hate 'pitbulls' which breed are you refering to?

Do you mean all these breeds? :roll: