Dogomania

floors

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

We are lab owners looking to put in new wood laminate flooring. This stuff seems pretty immune to scratching from crazy paws. Anyone out there have it? Thanks!

How to test a wood floor to see if it will stand up to your dogs.. :) Don't make the same mistake I did and listen to the sales man...sheesh.

Get a peice of sample flooring, lay it on a hard flat surface, take a key or butter knife (key is better) and tap the florring with the end with about 30 pounds of weight from your hand. Scrape the key across of the surface going from the center to the edge, as if your hand was a back foot "launching" off. Put the key at the bottom of the piece and scrape forward. Put the key dead center and apply 60 pounds of pressure.

This will give you an idea of the effect of toenails on a surface.
My experience has been tile flooring (heavy duty) or pergo is the best investment.

I have two lab mixes (90 and 75 lbs) and wood laminate flooring.

Poofy is correct about testing it first. Pergo is the strongest, but the more expensive. I installed Armstrong wood laminate, and it's held up great against the dogs. I cant say the same for my son....

You have to be careful about dropping anything sharp on it, like a screwdriver or a hammer. Tools will punch small holes in it, but the dogs
have not yet done any damage to it. It's also very easy to clean (much more so than carpeting) if they have an accident and to get rid of the dog hair.

:D

I installed wood laminate flooring. I did not go for the highly polished variety but rather the rough hewn look. It does stand up to almost anything, Rottweilers and GSD's don't mark it at all BUT it is very slippery, so now I have had to cover the heaviest dog traffic areas with carpet rugs. It is easy to clean and definitely low maintenance. With the more sedate dogs I imagine there would be no problem with the slipping but my young Rottweiler, who has BTW had ACL surgery would slip if I didn't have the rugs. This is worth looking at before you purchase the flooring.

Guest Anonymous

Theres actually two different types of flooring, the actual wood laminate like a "Bruce Flooring", or a photograph of wood laminated onto a composite material such as the Pergo. The first will only be as strong as the polyurathane that covers it, which like a solid wood floor is susceptable to scratching, the other may hold up better but if it is ever damaged is not able to be refinished like the real wood. Good luck :wink:

yeah, we have regular wood flooring too. it's borderline, not the most immune thing to scratches i'd say. but i have to admit dresden (ten month old crazy mutt) runs too fast all the time and yesterday i was in the kitchen and she came flying around the corner so fast all her legs went out from underneath her.........i tried really hard not to laugh........unsucessfully.

The majority of my house has wood laminate flooring. No problems with it getting scratched up by my dog...but as alicat said, you shouldn't have a problem if you keep your dogs' nails trimmed. I always make sure to keep my dog's nails short, so no problems. Only problems the wood flooring has encountered is my brothers... :roll:

Of course for durabilty, nothing beats good strong tiles. My kitchen and a couple of rooms downstairs have tile...the stuff is like solid rock. Only downside is that it's so expensive!

I forgot to mention the runners....yea, the dogs have trouble moving on the wood because it's slippery, so in the living room I have an area rug with "no slide" grippers underneath it, and in the hallway I have a runner.

They still slide a little on the runner when frantic, but not as bad as the floor.

We had laminated flooring in our hall........after a few months it started to peel...it was layed properly which I cannot understand.....so now we have wood in there has well as the lounge (what a mistake that was) there is not a place in the lounge that doesnt have scratch marks or has not peeled......we used the best hardener to no avail.....sticking to carpet next.

Guest Anonymous

Our whole house is real wood flooring. Frodo gets around on it pretty well. We do have carpet runners and area rugs in the living room and dining room. But all his running has never scratched the floors up. They have about 5 coats of polyurethane on them though. At my MIL, her Pergo has never been scratched by Frodo (who has pretty clipped nails) or my SIL Boston Terrier (who never gets his nails clipped - mean unsocialized dog but that's another matter :) ).

When I had my laminated flooring done they told me not to get too much water on it. To clean use a nearly dry mop. I think a good soaking with water a few times would make it peel. The top coating my floor is actual rough hewn timber with a sealer on it so it may not be so prone to peeling. It certainly has no scratches on it and I have 2 Rotts and a GSD running on it. Definitely a low maintenane floor but slippery. Rugs everywhere and hall runners.

This is probably a bit unusual but I have one girl who just wont go on a slippery floor. I have both carpet and wood floors and have to have rugs on the smooth floors for her. If a rug gets moved and she cant reach the next one she will stand at the edge and bark. When I take the rugs up to clean she is marooned in on the carpet. So perhaps you should check first that yours will even walk on the smooth stuff. She is the only one I have had like this, don't know why she does it, she has been like it from the first day I got her. If I put her down on the smooth area, she will panic and legs go in all directions. Just another quirky thing these dogs can come up with :lol:

[quote name='Bensam']This is probably a bit unusual but I have one girl who just wont go on a slippery floor. I have both carpet and wood floors and have to have rugs on the smooth floors for her. If a rug gets moved and she cant reach the next one she will stand at the edge and bark. When I take the rugs up to clean she is marooned in on the carpet. So perhaps you should check first that yours will even walk on the smooth stuff. She is the only one I have had like this, don't know why she does it, she has been like it from the first day I got her. If I put her down on the smooth area, she will panic and legs go in all directions. Just another quirky thing these dogs can come up with :lol:[/quote]

LOL :lol:

At our old house we had wood floors sealed with polyurethane and BK would come charging in from wherever and would skid all over the place, especially if he landed on his blanket, he and the blanket would go sliding for a few metres. It was priceless seeing the look on his face when he realised he wasn't really in control of what was going on... then would regain his composure and act like nothing had ever happened... :roll:

Your Laminated and Wooden floors must be stronger than mine :lol:
I only ever use a damp mop to clean my floors....never spillled any water on it. We have rugs down too but most of the floor is peeling up.....even in areas the dogs dont go. Well there has been one problem after another, not just with the floor but tiles falling off now etc after the decorators put them up.....thats new houses for you :roll: