Dogomania

People Food and Dogs

cairnmom

Can dogs eat some people food?
I made a roast the other night and gave a bit to Frodo. No spices or anything just plain cooked roast beef. He also loves carrots, grapes and oranges. Is this stuff bad for him?

I was chatting with a girl at work who told me dogs can have seizures if they eat "people food." Is their food that dogs CANNOT have (other than chocolate) that can really hurt them? Like I know my birds cannot have chocolate or avacado but can eat fruits and veggies.

I know some of you feed BARF and that is essentially all "people food" and your dogs seem fine. Is their truth to this girls statement? Or is she just spitting out popular culture? She is all into animal rights but feeds her cats Science Diet (eww). Tried to explained whats in that but she shooed it away with "its vet recommended".

Any insights?
Thanks,
Jessica

PS-Frodo is switched over to Eukenuba and his coat is SO much better than on the food he was weaned on (Puppy Chow i think). I want Wellness but nobody has it around here.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Anonymous

Ah, the oh so popular, what and what not can they eat? :lol: You would not BELIEVE how many times I paniced when I first started Hazel on the BARF diet! :lol: I was constantly rushing to my books, and searching on the internet before giving Hazel certian foods.
Most veggies and fruits are okay, HOWEVER, a lot of seeds are bad for dogs... too many can actually kill them! (such as apple and grape seeds) I'm not sure yet exactlly ALL the seeds they can and cannot have, I usualy just stick to the safe side and cut out most that I can from Hazel's fruits.
As for the meat, raw meat is the best for dogs, since cooking actually depleats the "good stuff" in them, but Hazel does get cooked meat every now and then, as a treat (like left over steak etc.). Although (like you've probably heard) NEVER feed your dog COOKED chicken bones!!! They splinter easly when cooked, and can become lodged in the dogs throat, or puncture holes in their digestive system. Although, if ya wana feed your dog a RAW chicken bone every now and then, that's great! (as long as you keep an eye on them too of course) Hazel's RMB's (Raw Meaty Bones) consists of mainly Chicken wings, backs, and necks (although she's had ostrich before, and really liked it! :D ) I know this probably all sounds really gross, I'm not saying you should go out and start your dog on the BARF diet, I'm just telling you the knowledge that I know, which revolves around the BARF diet.
Your friend has her cat on the "Science Diet"? Wouldn't this mean it's much like the BARF diet? So whats so special that her cat can eat people food, but I dog can't? :lol:
Milk Raider? You mean like a lot of milk after the puppy age? Because milk isn't BAD for dogs if you give it to them once and a while... Hazel loves to get a little bowl of milk every now and then, it certianly isn't bad for her if it's just a little every now and then.
One food that dogs LOVE is garlic! :-? however, that does mean you have to put up with the garlic breath! :lol: I actually have a recipe somewhere for dog cookies and it has garlic in it, Hazel LOVED it... she can't have them now (unless we alter the recipe a little) because of the diet she's on, but if you would like me to, I can find it for you?
A GREAT doggy cook book is The Three Dog Bakery, it's got TONES of recipies with treats for your dog made out of ingredences you can find in your kitchen! (or so it says, we usually had to go out and buy at least one or two things! :lol: )

Grapes and raisins are toxic to dogs, the vet told me he had a case where this dog had eaten a pound and a half of grapes which had affected it's liver and he died. Some dogs can't tolerate cows milk but others can, apparently goats milk is better for them it hasn't got this particular enzyme in it which tends to upset dogs tummies. Onions and mushrooms are also bad for dogs. All these things were told to me by a vet so I should think they are true. :evil:

Yes dogs can eat human foods...however we tend to forget that the protien levels can affect their kidney and pancreas. When we feed dogs what we eat we oftn over load them with fats...which can cause pancreitis. If you want to feed your dog fresh foods, stick to a ***SMALL*** amount of boiled chicken and then veggies, as much as you like with them. Carrots, peas, squash, melons, green beans and such are great.

I have been told they sholdnt eat "tubers" in general, potato's, onions,
etc...but carrots seem ok. cooking tubers creates gas - maybe that's why?

brocolli isnt the best either.

I give mine leftovers now and again, but usually the meat and sometimes the macaroni or rice. They LOVE rice!! The leftovers are only enough to stir into their dry food though - not a complete meal at all.
I just use it to spice up their dinners a little.

However, mine are not purebred. My vet said that purebreds sometimes react differently to people food then mixed breeds do. It doesnt seem to have hurt mine any and the vet said they are very healthy, but i would check with your vet first.

Did the grapes that dog ate have seeds in them by any chance? I will throw a seedless grape to mine every now and then as a treat....Should I not do that then?

Our dogs get small portions of a lot of the things we eat... a piece of chicken after dinner, or a spoonful of macaroni, and if I make a salad, they all clamber around for the cucumber skins. Goo even gets tiny amounts of chocolate sometimes, like if I give her a bite of chocolate chip cookie... she's a fairly large dog though, so one chocolate chip isn't going to hurt her. I use dried out (in the oven) hotdog pieces as training treats, and give them frozen carrots to chew on sometimes. Most people food won't hurt a dog, as long as it's given in moderation.

Well, I didn't know grapes were bad :-?
It was only 2 and they were seedless. It was a while ago so no ill effects i guess...

By Science Diet, I meant the brand. The stuff with all the yummy rendered beef fat in it ... icky!

Glad other people's dogs love carrots! He loves getting one and rolling it around on the floor barking at it. Sort of like his pizzles sticks (thanks to this board I found these!). Then he plunks himself down and mows it down! And Frodo loves rice too....just how I make it, little salt and no butter!

I never knew he could have raw chicken bones. Not much of an issue since I never cook whole chickens. Just boneless breast meat and I don't share that :lol:

Thanks for the tips! And sorry I didn't search before posting.... :oops:
Jessica

I only feed 'people food'. Do you really want to feed your beloved pet something that is so far from fit for human consumption that it must be differently labeled? Cats and dogs are not that different from us and should not IMO be made to eat only old dried kibble. They need real food too. The belief that feeding any additional food is bad comes from the pet food industry.

I feed a Pitcairn style diet although cooked poultry. Neither I, my dog, or my cats think raw poultry is part of a good meal! :lol:

When giving your dogs table scraps, remember to uphold the strictest of nutritional guidelines. They are not used to eating the overprocessed, overflavored foods that we eat. So rather than giving your dog some flavored yogurt, buy plain and whip in some no sugar added frozen fruit or fresh fruit. Rather than making all of the meat or fish together, set some aside that will cook without added flavorings. I make rice with homemade chicken broth, rather than using butter or salt.

Definite NOs:
Onions (any sort - spring onions, green onion, leeks, etc)
Chocolate
Macadamia nuts
green parts or sprouts of potatos
stem or vine of tomato
cooked bones
raw salmon (in the US at least)

Be careful - feed in small amounts always, and introduce slowly:
potatoes
garlic
spinach
kale
avocados
raw eggs - raw whites destroy an important nutrient in the body. I cook the white and leave the yolk runny.

I feed all of the above 'careful' items in pretty large quanities (of course he's a large dog). These are all disputed good or bad foods, and the first two are members of the nightshade family which many dogs are allergic to.

Dogs can have milk and milk products, but just like humans they were not meant to do so. However I consider them scavengers and they have been getting into dairy goods for centuries. Introduce dairy slowly and see how the dog does. Some may handle some types, such as acidophilus or yogurt better. All dogs should get yogurt or another form of good bacteria to mimic the juices they would get from eating the digestive tracts of their prey.

Grapes and raisins are fine in a healthy dog as a rare snack with consideration given to their size. I have an 80 lb dog, and if I'm having grapes he will get maybe up to 5 grapes for himself, or I may put a teaspoon of raisins in his oatmeal. Dogs affected by small amounts of raisins are thought to have preexisting kidney problems.

Citrus is fine but most dogs won't eat it because it is so acidic and you may have to watch that. My dog adores tomatoes but if he eats them on an empty stomach late at night, he pukes bile in the morning *yuck* so I always give him something else with them.

Broccoli is fine as well. My dog can't get enough of the stuff and my old dog had it in every meal for 10 years just fine. Of course if your dog does not do well on it, then stop giving it to him, but overall broccoli is fine for dogs.

All foods should be introduced slowly to the dog, so that if it does not agree with him, you know what food it is.

Potatos, peanuts and carrots are all tubers. Tubers aren't a problem. My dog eats at least 2 potatoes a day. Potatoes, onion and garlic are members of the nightshade family which are often toxic to dogs. Onions should never be fed, and garlic only in small amounts. In fact garlic is a great health supplement, but in minute amounts. Some dogs handle potatoes great (like mine) others do not. I generally only feed new potatos (red, yukons, purples) as they are so much more nutritious.

Some good safe snack ideas:

Sweet potatoes as mentioned. Microwave, slice and tada, instant nutritious and delicious snack.
Yogurt or cottage cheese as unadulterated as possible if your dog likes dairy.
Fruits especially bananas, berries, cantaloupe, apples and peaches are very popular here.
Soft boiled egg (no shell)
Raw beef (well in the US at least) if you freeze it and thaw it, any bad bugs are killed and it is a great source of nutrients for your dog as well as digestible fats. I do not believe pets can digest cooked fats.
Peanut butter - Parker likes a bit spread on a banana or apple slices
frozen peas (Parker actually likes them better frozen!)
carrots
broccoli

Avocado is actually one of the undetermined. Some people say it is toxic, others say to feed it often. Many dogs can eat it and it is very healthy for them. There is even a big line of dog foods based on avocado - Avoderm. The whole line has avocado. I haven't tried feeding any to my dog because the avocado prices are so high! I will probably do some more research on it before I ever try it out on him, if at all. It's a little weird how many things are so disputed- some say toxic and some say good for them. Well how can that be??

ahh Alicat I didn't know that. I am going on what my dad has told me about dogs and avocados, reason being we have an avocado tree at mum's and that's how Dad and I got onto the subject (we swap avocados for lemons and limes LOL). I guess the avocado stuff is maybe a bit like garlic? A little bit of garlic is good for dogs but too much can kill them... ? anyway, not taking a chance with the avocados, besides even if they were ok to feed the dogs they are WAY too good to give to them! (I can airmail you some avocados if you want, they're pretty good! :D ) :wink:

Guest Anonymous

Well Alicat, I see you and I won't get along food wise! LOL A lot of what you feed your pets I COMPLETELY disagree with, however I'm sure you disagree a lot with what I feed my pooch too!

Oh Bk Blue, don't be a tease!! I love avocados but green ones are $2 each and up here!!

Hazel, I'm curious about what I feed that has you so opposed? Are you anti-grain/starch? Just wondering! I don't get defensive or upset when discussing food. I love to read about all the different theories and ideas, and take from all of them. I think everyone has to find what works for them and their pets.

Although one thing that really confuses me is the dissent over whether or not some things are toxic, like avocados! I mean, either it is or it isn't. But I've even written to some very knowledgable dog diet people and cannot get a definitive answer. While some people say it is ok to feed them, even great to feed avocados, and there is an avocado based dog food, others say its toxic. I find that a little perplexing!!

Guest Anonymous

yeah, I'm EXTREEMLY Anti grain/starch actually... mother taught me so :roll: LOL but it all makes sense... my mom's bipolar and is on the Science Diet (that's also why I was confused before, I've also heard the BARF diet be called the "science diet") which consists of no unatural sugers, or grains and starch. It has done WONDERS for her! She hasn't had an episode in MONTHS!! :D
The BARF diet has improved Hazel so much! (well, her behavior hasn't changed 100% that's for sure, but that needs TRAINING) she is SO much healthier... I have also noticed though, if she gets snuck (or steals off plates, outa garbage ect.) something that contains grains or starch, she starts to act REALLY weird! :-? :o She gets really spacey, and hyper, jumping all over the place, she'll run up and hit me, then run around real lots... just plays little pranks like that, when normally she knows not to unless we've already started playing a game! Usually when she wants to START to play, she'll bring me a toy, NOT HIT ME! :lol:
Just little things in her behavior I notice change... but then once I give her some yogurt (plain, it's home made stuff actually) she usually calms down within an hour or so.

[quote name='alicat613']Oh Bk Blue, don't be a tease!! I love avocados but green ones are $2 each and up here!![/quote]

sorry to stray off topic... but... that is SO ridiculously priced. That would be about $3.50 in Australian currency. :o They retail here for about $2-2.50. We have so many avocados atm, if we ate all the ripe ones on the tree we would die of cholesterol poisoning! So we end up giving heaps away- anyone who comes over gets a paper bag with avocados shoved in their face!

Oh I want some!!!

Hazel my mom eats like that too! At first I thought you meant your mom eats Science Diet kibble LOL! I think different things work for different people. I do feed very much like BARF but without bones, bonemeal instead, although I feed grains and starches. I have been reducing those lately and feeding only sweet potatoes or new potatoes, never Russets which are way too sugary. I don't think rice agrees with him!

BK, send some of them avacados up this way!!! :fadein:

From what I've hear its the seed and skin of avacados that are toxic. Tomatos are also toxic, they contain selenim which is poisonous to dogs and if they eat enough they can die from it. Onions give dogs anemia and can also kill them. Potatos are fine (although I'm another anti grainer), its the green bits on the unripe ones that are poisonous and are also poisonous to humans. Hazel, I know what you mean about dogs going crazy on grains, I noticed the difference when I fed my dogs solely on BARF, they still have the same amount of healthy energy but just aren't hyperactive.
Anything with preservatives can give many dogs allergys.

Raw egg white contains something that inhibbits a dogs ability to digest biotin, in return egg yolk contains large amounts of biotin to even it out, so as long as you feed the white and the yolk together its ok.

I never heard about the grape thing before, what exactly do they do? Does this mean I shouldn't feed them to my rat either? I'd hate for him to get sick!!! :o

Guest Anonymous

There are a few things we eat that dogs cannot. I would think it safe to say they also eat things we cant :) . However, most table scraps are better for dogs than the usually fed dry dogfood. This is finally a fact that is getting around to people. Something the makers of dogfood have tried to hide, and lie about, for years. Imagine the business they would loose if everyone fed their dogs what they ate.

Actually only the stem and vine of a tomato are bad. Parker eats a tomato a day, he loves them.

Grapes and raisins have something with the kidneys/liver function, but I can't recall why exactly. If anyone here has a real juicer (like a Juiceman etc) and has ever drank a big glass of real grape juice will recall that it makes you pee like crazy. Something they have in them, just don't know, sorry!