Dogomania

People Food and Dogs

cairnmom

Oh, well you learn something new every day don't you? I think I'll be staying away from the grape juice from now on!

I actually read that stuff about tomatos in a cat site where it actually mentioned cats who had died from tomatos... it did say the same applied to dogs but I don't know, maybe its one of those "ok in small doses" things.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good point. Of course everyone should take into consideration their dogs' sizes and individuality. I only introduce new things one at a time, to see how he handles it.

I have a Great Dane, so when I say he has a tomato a day, that is far different than feeding a cat or a Yorkie a whole tomato.

Cooked vegetables like carrots, cabbage, brocolli, potato etc are good for dogs....including cooked meat like chicken, lamb and beef......pork tends to give them upset tummy's though. Fruit like apples and pears are also good but grapes cant digest properly. Rice is nice too and a little pasta occasionally.

Guest Anonymous

At this point, I am still trying to decide between Wysong and Wellness. They are both such good food and I can't make up my mind. Wysong recommends supplements and cycling thru their food. But Wellness looks good too. And I am feeding stew or fresh food when I can. I am so indecisive..... :roll:

Cairn mom, can you tell us more about your dog, and what kibbles (like which kind of each line, whether it was a chicken and rice etc) you've tried, and with what results. Why are you switching and what results are you hoping for?

K, I think it has to do a lot with the dogs. Small dogs have a larger ratio of digestive system to body, while big dogs are reverse. Also different breeds have evolved eating different things. Many people feed Danes pork just fine (although I agree that and salmon should always be cooked), and since they were bred for boar hunting I'm sure historically they ate a lot of pork. I'm a strong believer in breed specific nutrition.

K I have no idea about pork causing that disease but I do know that it is the worst meat you can feed your dog as it causes upset stomachs. My friend used to feed her dog pork until that happened and the dog had to be rushed to the vets....also the dog was bringing it all back up.

[url]http://www.ask.co.uk/metasearch.asp?aj_product=IndexSearch&MetaEngine=Teoma&EngineOrdinal=1&ItemOrdinal=1&m=9&AdServerCode=&MetaURL=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Eknowbetterdogfood%2Ecom%2Fproducts%2Fpreparation%2Ephp__score_0.45__&MetaTopic=How+to+Prepare+Know+Better+Dog+Food+%2D+an+all+natural+home+prepaired&ask=pork%2Bsuited%2Bto%2Bdogs&LogId=B64F6689DF64F648A2C2F23620FF7BE8&origin=0&qsource=1&qcategory=EDU_&aj_is=no&rf=false&x=false&uk=false[/url]

Guest Anonymous

GRAPES are poisonous ????? dresden stole a huge purple grape and loved it, almost finished it before i saw her, she found it on the floor. oh, i feel like an idiot. is it certain kinds or just the seeds or what, that's poisonous that is ???? oh good grief, she could have died..........:( i do remember hearing something about that a long time ago........completely forgot

Guest Anonymous

Oh my gosh...I'm sorry but we have discussed the freaking grapes at this board like 20 times since I've been a member and that has not been long!!

Grapes CAN be bad. Some believe that those dogs affected already had liver or kidney problems. Generally a grape or two is fine, in a healthy dog and keeping in mind the size of a dog. I have a 6 month old Great Dane who weighs about 90 lbs. I give him grapes. He's had about 7 grapes in his entire life. And he's fine.

Hope this helps.

You were discussing starch vs. anti-starch, and saying it made your dog
spacy and hyper....

This is a not-so-good response to carbohydrates. I'm diabetic, and dogs can become diabetics too. It has to do with what carbs do to your blood sugar levels. When you (or your dogs!) eat sweets, or carbs, the blood sugar levels rise VERY quickly. If the pancreas is not reacting quite normally, they can go too high, which will cause the spacy and/or hyper activity. After the carbs have been broken down, the blood sugar suddenly drops like a rock and the person/dog may become sleepy or lethargic. Some people the carbs have no bad affects on (except weight gain) and in others just a little too much can push them over the edge.

If your pup is responding better to a no-carb diet than I would leave it that way. There could be a pancreatic/insulin issue going on. I'm not saying that a carb diet is good, or bad, it just depends on the dog.

My doctor's nurse had a diabetic dog in the office all the time.
They had to give her (the dog) three shots a day. I'm not saying your dog is diabetic, but the possibility of borderline is always there. The no-carb diet could prevent any issues from happening, if your pup responds better that way.

Just keep an eye out for the above symptoms.

:)

I feed carbs, but I use diabetes glycemic ratings to choose what carbs.
I don't feed any refined carbs like pasta, bread, refined rices.
I buy unrefined brown rice at natural shops and feed that rarely.
Otherwise he gets sweet potatoes and new potatoes (like reds, yellows), which both convert slowly to sugars. Refined grains and things like russett (baking) potatoes have little nutritional value and convert quickly into simple sugars.

Good Job!!

some dogs react fine to regular carbs (mine have cast-iron stomachs, nothing seems to bother them) but others dont. My post was just to educate people who may not be familiar with the symptoms of high or low blood sugars, that's all. A lot of people I know werent even aware that a
dog could become a diabetic. So I was just suggesting watching for the symptoms because of that.

Do you feed your dog all people food alicat? I have a friedn who raises bloodhounds and gives them his own special mixture of people food only, so I was curious.....

:)

People food? What is that?? :lol:
To understand my beliefs read this (it's short). I don't want to copy and paste for copyright reasons. [url]http://www.yourpurebredpuppy.com/health/common/feeding.html[/url]

I do a raw meat and veggies and fruits diet with cooked grains, almost 99% locally grown new potatoes or sweet potatoes. I would say I pretty much use a Pitcairn style diet, although custom. I don't follow his recipes or do healthy powder. I am lucky to have a vet who is a holistic practitioner and nutritionist who studied under Pitcairn to help us. Breakfast is generally just fruits and yoghurt, occassionally a cold cooked new potato with a sunny side up egg (cooked in homemade chicken stock). Lunch and dinner are each about 3/4 lb raw meat with about 1 -2 cups veggies, supplements (including bone meal - essential), and a cooked sweet potato or new potatoes.

My dog has no real problems with grains either, but I do not believe refined foods are good for anyone. At one time he was getting more rice and other grains, but I find that he has less eye and ear discharges with just the more natural grains/carbs.

This is NOT a diet style you just hear about and do. One can incorporate the ideas into a kibble diet, but before changing to ANY style of a natural diet one must understand the dietary needs of the canine and really research and plan the diet. It is not hard or expensive in any way and offers great emotional, physical and mental benefits to your pets.

Frodo is eating Eukenuba small breed puppy right now. I switched him once from what he was fed (puppy chow). I am debating between Wysong and Wellness still. And want to supplement with Spot's Stew. I don't think I would do BARF but Wysong has a new food that you add water to and it is reconstituted Barf (that sounds gross :lol: ). And Wysong recommends you add supplements and rotate between their different foods. They really push for variety and recommend feeding BARF if possible. Kind of odd for a dog food company :)

Wysong sounds like probably the only honest brand of dog food on the market! Yes, dogs do need variety... no other brand would have you beleive it but how could dogs honestly have a balanced diet if they were eating the same things day in day out? Not only is variety the spice of life, but its the best way to stay healthy too, so long as you keep it balanced too.
Personally I'd go with wysong if I were you, I've seen something about it on the net but havn't actually heard of it over here... still, it sounds like your best bet.

[quote name='alicat613 not logged in']Oh my gosh...I'm sorry but we have discussed the freaking grapes at this board like 20 times since I've been a member and that has not been long!!

Grapes CAN be bad. Some believe that those dogs affected already had liver or kidney problems. Generally a grape or two is fine, in a healthy dog and keeping in mind the size of a dog. I have a 6 month old Great Dane who weighs about 90 lbs. I give him grapes. He's had about 7 grapes in his entire life. And he's fine.[/quote]

sorry, i had not recalled seeing anything about grapes
anywhere. did not mean to be a problem.

[quote name='alicat613 not logged in']Oh my gosh...I'm sorry but we have discussed the freaking grapes at this board like 20 times since I've been a member and that has not been long!!

Grapes CAN be bad. Some believe that those dogs affected already had liver or kidney problems. Generally a grape or two is fine, in a healthy dog and keeping in mind the size of a dog. I have a 6 month old Great Dane who weighs about 90 lbs. I give him grapes. He's had about 7 grapes in his entire life. And he's fine.[/quote]

"We" have also discussed the freaking RAW and BARF thing to death and the proponents never tire of discussing that, either. While I adamantly refuse to ever feed it to any of MY dogs again and KNOW that it [u]can[/u] be dangerous, I don't find it necessary to ridicule those who wish to continue discussing it.

That was just plain ol' mean.

I'm just like many others here who say it's not worth the chance. A gazillion dogs may not ever have a problem with grapes, but I don't want to be the one to figure out how much is TOO much of anything that could be potentially dangerous. "Probably be ok" makes me kind of nervous, ya know? I can only imagine it might make others nervous, too.

Side note... when I was a kid, our family Chihuahua lived on a diet that consisted of a significant portion of Hershey's Kisses. We didn't know any better and she was always fine and lived to be 16 years old. It sure doesn't mean my dogs now get chocolate.

Anyhoo... just kinda rubbed me raw that someone would get kind of impatient (sounding) with someone else because of the number of times they posted to a topic the other deemed unworthy of further discussion.

You still a'ight n' stuff, though, Alicat. I mean, how bad can a St. Poo lover be? :lol:

Sorry guys, my post wasn't meant to be that rude. I'm really a cheery bouncy person so in person I can say things that are taken differently in just text.

But it IS weird. I have never had the grape question come up so much in such a short time. Everyone seems to want to know about grapes all of a sudden!

And yes you are right "we" (not sure why in quotes?) have discussed BARF a lot too, although not so much me since I'm not a BARFer. And RAW which is just raw :) yes, I like to talk about it. I'm still hoping to find someplace on the web that has some worthwhile pet nutrition discussions for raw feeders not just BARFers and if you know of one please tell me. I apologize if I bore you with my passion for natural feeding, but that is why I come to dog sites, to discuss with other natural feeders. I don't mean to be however you're apparently interpreting me. I don't have a lot of time to spend just chatting about every day life or all dog problems, so I tend to zero in on things I am interested in when I come here or other places.

Well raw could really be anything not cooked. BARF is a specific diet that is raw, but there are quite a few out there. I do a diet following mostly Dr. Pitcairn who uses bone meal in proportion to the meat, rather than have them eat bones at every meal (bones for chewing is a part of Pitcairn though) I don't think any one of the diets is best necessarily, just this is what is right for us for now. Who knows, maybe in a few years I'll be a BARFer. I'm always trying to learn more.

There are a ton of raw diets and books on it, you just have to kind of read and decide for yourself. Kinda like the grape thing LOL. The books don't all agree on things, including grapes but you just have to figure out what you are comfortable with and able to do and what works for your dog.

Alicat, I just meant "we" in the collective sense... not picking anyone in particular out.

I wasn't being confrontational, I swear. Sometimes if it comes up in my mind, it just comes out and I really don't pay attention to how it sounds. The good thing with that is that I'm honest and no one ever has to guess where I'm coming from or talking about. The bad thing is that I sometimes come off like a real doo doo head. I am still struggling with my "people skills." :roll: