Dogomania

Driving while exercising dog

anne3149

I was horrified to read on another forum that a person was driving the car and holding the dogs' lead while it was running alongside the car. This person wants her dog to be fit to enter a specialty breed show. I can't believe that someone would take this risk. Her dog may well end up dead or badly injured rather than fit. I would like to know the opinion of others on this situation. Would you exercise your dog this way??? (The dog is a GSD)

Guest Anonymous

I'd NEVER do that! That's crazy!!! When I excersise Toby(Doberman), I jog right along with him(I'm in track, so I need to do it anyway!). Of course, I can't run as long as he can, but... :) And I understand that a lot of people couldn't jog their dogs, but I definitly don't think there is any excuse for driving around with the dog running alongside! :mad:
They could ride a bicycle or something. Or put them on a treadmill. Grr... The poor dog is probably overworked... You'd have to be going fairly slow, but what if the dog tripped or got to close to the tires??? :cry:

Exercising a dog while driving a car is asking for trouble. As Nikki said what if the dog trips? What if he gets caught under the tyres, what if he wants to sniff something or pee on something or another dog goes by... not to mention he would most likely be on the ROAD which is not teaching the dog any street sense at all, or heeling or manners or anything.

Why are there so many idiot pet owners in the world? :roll:

Never. I do sometimes borrow a bike and have Annie or Goo run alongside (Goo only up and down our driveway), but I can pick Annie up when she's tired, and Goo doesn't go far, so if she gets tired, we just stop. I also check their pads often to make sure they haven't ripped them or worn them down. There are to many things that could go wrong having a dog run beside a car... you can't see them clearly, so there's more chance of running them over; they can run under the tires; you can be so busy watching them that you crash; they can be attacked by another dog and you won't be able to help them in time; they could get wrapped around a tree; or they could step on something you can't see. If she wants the dog to be fit, she should do something with him, not just make him run alongside the car. If she's too lazy to work with him, she can play fetch with him for an hour a day, or even get him a treadmill.

The worst thing about this is that she is trying to get the dog fit for the chance of winning the title in a specialty breed show. I don't see any problem in biking with dog, the worst that can happen is that you will fall off the bike if the dog does something unexpected. How far will people go and how much danger will they expose their dog to just to win in a show.
I see it as a dangerous activity for the dog and very uncaring when the top priority is winning a show title. I would never put my dogs in this dangerous position. I love my dogs.

I'd like to see her face when her expensive show dog can no longer walk due to a broken back and some fractured limbs :evil:

If she's really keen to see her dog win she should take him for swims, get into agility, flyball and frisbee chasing. That way he'll build up all his muscles in a safe way and will have fun while doing it. A mistreated dog is unlikely to win a show anyway as they loose their confidence.

GSD?!?!?! can you say "Hip Dysplasia?" if this lady is serious about getting her dog in shape......ever heard of a treadmill? i think i would love to look this lady in the eyes....just to prove to myself that INDEED there were dollar signs in them $$$. only charlie brown could make the appropriate response to this.....AARRRGGGHHHH!! :evil:

My sentiments exactly, Mcobbin!!!

Also, if you are DRIVING, you cannot observe your pet and if there [b]is[/b] any sign of hips or paws hurting, you'll miss it....until it becomes worse. :cry:

I'm gonna buy a bike just so I can exercise Koda.....if I can teach him to run with it and not herd it, that is. :wink: