Dogomania

Would YOU chain your dog up?

Aroura

A few weeks ago, before we relised it was a 'no dog' house, I wanted to move in with my friend, whose house has a big yard but no fence.
I was trying to work out how the best way to put a fence up would be, seeing as it is a split unit with a joint back yard.
Everyone kept on telling me I should just chain her up. I refused, they all told me that I could get her one of those long runners and she could run around and stuff and she would be fine.
I don't know about anyone else here, but even if they have all the running space in the world I still don't beleive that dogs belong on chains and unless it was a life or death situation there is no way I would ever chain my dogs up, especially Lily who gets seperation anxiety as it is.
Would you chain your dog up?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Anonymous

I have my dog on a chain. :(
It is for his on safety though because he likes to chase cars. We live near a main road and he jumps the fence. So when I'm not with him he goes on a chain. I am trying to fix the fence. Hopefully I will get it fixed soon.

My sisters friend had her Boxer on a chain and he jumped over a tree limb while they wern't there and hung himself. After that they never chained their dogs again.

Guest Anonymous

we have a 100 plus pound dog on a chain. she has to be, she knocks down fences. shes very strong. for her own safety we have her chained also. we offten take her out in the country to my father on laws farm to run . she loves it. her chain is also very long. so shes got the run of about half of a big yard.

Guest Anonymous

oh sorry lol around here when you say electric fence i think of the shocking kind . with all the farm animals and such they are everywhere lol. ive been shocked on one of those things and boy did it give me a jolt lol right through my coat. sorry my bad ;o)

Let me clarify further (sorry, took for granted that everyone was familiar with this): it is specifically for pets. It 's not the livestock fence that will just about knock you down or so strong that you could restart someone's heart. Once the pet gets use to it, they WILL stay away from the fence and you can turn it off. Then when they figure it's off and start back to their old habits, turn it back on for a few days. It scares them, more than shocks.

NO No, I would never chain my dogs. I would make all necessary adjustments to fences etc., but chaining would not be an option for me. I would not take my dogs to live in a home that did not have adequate fencing. Luckily I don't have to, I own my home. See the above post about the boxer who hung himself on a chain. A dog on a chain is a pathetic sight.

Putting any of my dogs on a chain on a routine basis is not for me.
I have had to put Candy on a chain on occaision when visiting my mom. Mom has a large chain link fenced yard. Candy is determined to get to the other side. She has gone under the fence many times in many different places. We have walked the fence, blocked gaps, filled in holes, rearranged objects in the yard, placed tree limbs at strategic areas etc etc. Put the dogs out for a few minutes, go to let them back in, where the heck is CANDY! Oh, she's next door visiting. She learned very quickly how to open the gate, it now has a lock on it when we visit. When she goes under the fence to visit, she can never seem to 'remember' the spot in order to come back but it comes back to her the next time she wants to sneak out. This means I have to reach over the fence and grab her by the throat er neck and haul her over. Hard on my back.
So if one of us cannot either be outside or stand by the window and watch her EVERY DANGED MINUTE she's out there, she might go on the chain for a short time. She's never on the chain for more than 15-30 minutes tops. Then she sits in one spot looking pitiful. She also crawled under the oil tank once and again scared the crap outta me as I went to let her in, did not see her, called and called, no Candy. She was crouched under the oil tank ignoring me.
The other option would be to make her so fat she could not go under the fence, not gonna happen.

Guest Anonymous

I currently use radio fence for my dog and it works pretty well. Basically, it's a wire that you bury underground that gets hooked up to a transmitter. Your dog wears a receiver on its collar and when it approaches the fence, it get an initial beep; if if does not back away and keeps going, it gets an uncomfortable static shock which is more meant to startle the dog rather than hurt them. In order for radio fence to work, you have to follow a two week training period which only takes about 10-15 minutes or so per day. For the two weeks that the dog is being trained, you have to be EXTREMELY careful that the dog does not get loose even one time.

Unfortunately, my brothers and their friends (ya, i have brothers - im 15) accidentally let the dog loose a couple of times before she was fully trained. The dog saw the cat - ran straight through the fence. After that she found out that if she just runs as fast as she can through the fence, the shock stops when she gets to the other side. This was a huge problem and because she no longer cared about the shock, we had to buy a "stubborn dog" receiver and retrain her. The stubborn dog receiver transmits 3x the shock of the original receiver. I felt so horrible because the first time she tried to go through, she squealed out loud and ran back to the door, shaking. :cry: I was so upset i was thinking about disconnecting the system, but I figured that if she was that upset by it, maybe she wouldn't try to cross the system again. It worked, and since then it doesn't matter what she sees outside, she will NOT cross that wire under any circumstances!

Sorry I went off on such a long rambling rampage, but that was just to show you how important it is for the dog to be constantly supervised on the radio fence. Basically, the radio fence might work for you if you have the time to train your dog and train him/her right and you are able to always supervise your dog while he/she is outside. Go to [url]www.radiofence.com[/url] for more info.

In terms of chaining your dog up....I would definitely not recommend an actual chain or rope that drags along the ground. We tried this when we first got my dog, and besides the possiblility of the dog hanging itself, we were constantly untangling the chain from everything. It's also a pain when you want to play with the dog outside and have to really watch out for that chain coming around and sideswiping you off your feet. One step up from a chain is a kind of run that you connect off the ground between two trees or something similar, and the dog runs back and forth on it. It's kind of hard to describe, but its not that great because my dog got these horrible raw red marks on her neck from pulling on it.

I think your best bet is to try to figure out a way to put up a real fence. I don't know what else to tell you except review all your options and do what feels best to you.

~Liz V

A chained dog is potential victim for loose dogs and the suhumans who like to torment, poison and torture dogs.

Most of the time chains tangle and the dog has little mobility. In too many cases this can result in death or injury from strangalation or inability to get out of the elements.

Dogs are wonderful and I wish that all who love them could have one..but having one is a privilege...not a right.

If you do not have the facilities to properly house the dog, you should not get one.

You might wish to consider a small house dog or a cat.

[quote name='anne3149']Cheetah, how do you keep other animals out of your property with this invisible fence?????? Obviously they don't wear the collar so would be free to wander onto the property and harass or attack your dog.[/quote]

Actually, I didn't explain my whole situation. I have a fenced in backyard (i used the tie-out at my old house) which is where I almost always put my dog out. However, I put the radio fence in the front yard after she got loose one day (chasing after the cat) and got hit by a car (broke 3 toes, bruised bladder, etc. :cry: but she's okay now :) ). Now that was terrifying and there was no way I was going to let it happen again. So now I just use the radio fence in the front yard as a pre-caution and sometimes to go out there to play with her.

However, that is one of the biggest downsides to the radiofence - it's not a real fence, and anyone and anything can come in and harm your dog.

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='Hobbit']Let me clarify further (sorry, took for granted that everyone was familiar with this): it is specifically for pets. It 's not the livestock fence that will just about knock you down or so strong that you could restart someone's heart......[/quote]

I remember those as a kid...grabbing on it one, not thinking it was on and next thing ya know you can't let go and you are getting shocked to bits!

The only time my dogs are tied out is when we visit my parents overnight (out of town). Mom and Dad don't have a fenced in yard and each dog has a 40' lead we use and they HATE!! :( They'll have to be tied out again on Wednesday and Thursday for Thanksgiving....poor things.

[quote name='sixjollydogs']A chained dog is potential victim for loose dogs and the suhumans who like to torment, poison and torture dogs.

Most of the time chains tangle and the dog has little mobility. In too many cases this can result in death or injury from strangalation or inability to get out of the elements.

Dogs are wonderful and I wish that all who love them could have one..but having one is a privilege...not a right.

If you do not have the facilities to properly house the dog, you should not get one.

You might wish to consider a small house dog or a cat.[/quote]

Six youve said it all there, i agree 100%[size=6][/size]

I'd never chain BK up just because I'm too scared he'd strangle himself. He has mild separation anxiety as it is and I would think tying him up outside in the (now indestructibly fenced) yard would make him worse. :(
As SJD said you really shouldn't have a dog if you can't contain it safely in your own backyard...

As posted here before about chaining dogs up, i would not do it to my dogs even if we didn't have a fence. I would simply have a run built so that they would have free exercise just like they would if they were lose in the garden. I do not believe in it, its unbelievably cruel......many dogs end up having injuries, usually because the collar or choker, (which many use) has rubbed the skin on the dogs neck red-raw due to all the pulling of the dog. they also (like someone mentioned here) get there legs caught up in the rope or chain which can also cause serious injury.

Either a 6ft paneled fence or a run is best!

Guest Anonymous

BEST SUGGESTION YET!
Cant believe some people in here claim to love their animals and at the same time they are chaining them up like wild beasts. Wish I could chain some of you up and see how you feel after even a couple hours. Better yet, here's what should be done to you...
:snipersmile: :onfire:

To the poster of this message: A Dog Run is the best solution to an unfenced yard without a doubt - reasonably priced (compared to building a fence), can even be bought second hand out of the paper and most of them nowadays come with a roof of some sort (some even with sunscreen) so the dog cannot jump the walls.

To those of you who are chaining up your family members; Any more EXCUSES to chain up your so called 'loved' animals? You people aren't as wonderful as pet owners as you would have everyone believe. :roll:

Guest Anonymous

So glad you asked Mei-Mei.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
My [b][i]problem [/i][/b]is with people that treat their dogs like crap and then come into a forum and act like everyone ELSE is an irresponsible pet owner but THEY know what they're doing. After my 'thought out' post I had the oppotunity to read some of the other topics. Mainly the ones wth the highest number of responses. And now you critisize [b]ME [/b]for being blatently honest with my views??? Do you know what I read? Honey, go back and read some of the other topics in here. People are accused of lying...of being irresponsible (by the very people that are no better themselves). And believe you me, they are a lot harder on some of the posters in here than I was on those chaining up their animals.
And as far as how you all treat your animals, why not think of them as an extention of yourselves...in other words, would you chain your children up in the backyard? Do you even leave your children unattended in your yard as long as you do your animals? People complain about having their purebreds stolen...did any of you think that could be you after chaining up your animal and leaving them there alone without the people in their lives that they love the most? God willing that any animal chained up when it got stolen was stolen out of the goodness of someones heart - THAT I would call rescuing.
IF YOU ARE CHAINING UP AN ANIMAL THAT IS TAME AND LOVES YOU...YOU DONT DESERVE TO HAVE THE PRIVLEDGE OF HAVING THAT ANIMAL IN YOUR LIFE - AND [b]YES[/b], IT IS A PRIVLEDGE - NOT YOUR RIGHT.

Dogwhisper,

I wish I knew each and every person on this forum personally just like you do. :wink:

Then, by knowing them, their everyday duties, their life style, their ins and outs, their schedules, their morals, their beliefs, etc ..... then I could sit back and judge them, also. How did you come to know every single person on this forum so well?