Dogomania

Do you teach your dog tricks?

yellowlabsrule

Guest Anonymous

:D We do agree! Thanks for your input. You explained yourself well and now I understand the statement. I didn't take it as an opposition to my dog, I've just heard this alot and didn't understand, and wanted my opinion heard. Anyways, I don't know how to post a photo. I have some on my computer, but I don't know how to put it on this site. Let me know and I will do my best to add it.

Thanks
Sophie

[quote]For the non shed hair my understanding is the father has to be the poodle.[/quote]

I learned that in Bio! Your amount of hair loss depends on your father's side. So if your dad has thin hair, I'm sorry to say, that you most likely will experience loss of hair, guys and gals alike...

Guest Anonymous

Back to tricks :wink:

I've taught my rottweiler, Odin, basic obed. And to pull a wagon.

Tricks I've taught him , are "Catch it" I tell him to back up, then say "ready?" at which point he gets in position to jump, then I toss a soft toy high in the air to him which he leaps to catch.

Also, figure eights between my legs. And, of course, fetch. To take a treat out of my mouth; He is to sit and wait in front of me, I can have a piece of liver treat in my lips 1/2 an inch in front of his nose and he will wait for my command.

My daughter's favorite is hide and seek. She hides and Odin will search for her, nose to the ground, upon the command "find her"

But MY all time favorite is "give me a kiss". When I give the command from a standing position, Odin leaps up and gives me a "kiss" right on the mouth without touching me in any other way.

Aren't they great!? :D

• 3 months later...

My Rottie has just learned "shut the Door" which is handy when you have a armload full of groceries! This works well where I live now as the door is metal and can't be damaged.it might not be so good for a nicely painted door though! I want to teach her more as she loves to learn. She also plays fetch and will find the kids if they are hiding and then lick lick lick them as if they are her own pups and have been playing in the dirt all day! Very cute. She knows all the basic commands and even understands that a "dirty look" means get away from whatever it is she is sniffing. If only my kids were so obedient!!!

• 2 weeks later...

To teach paw on the nose, but a pice of tape on the dog's nose. When he goes to wipe it of with his paw, say whatever u are going to call the trick, and reward him (if u use clicker training u click at that piont) usually a dog catches on fast. :D

I taught Blondie "Gun Shoot" trick.. it sounds horrible, but actually very cute :wink: I pointed my index finger at her and say "Bang Bang" and she would lie down and roll over to belly-top position. And... OF COZ! Treat for a trick! My fiends they all love to "shoot" her :drinking:

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest Anonymous

Brooklyn knows how to....shake a paw, speak, roll over, balance a book on his head, bow (which is really funny because, he goes on his side but is butt in the air..crazy dog!), high five, speak like this...I make a sound and he actually will copy it. Like if I bark twice, he will. Sit up, brings a pop from the fridge, puts the can in the recycling bin. And my favorite "go to your chair and be quiet!"

Jaeden can sit up pretty, speak, shake a paw, roll over and we are working on others. She's only nine months though..so she's still learning!

• 2 months later...

I have an 11yr old Labrador Retriever/English Pointer mix who knows sit, down, on your side, heal, come, high five, low five, scare (shows teeth on command), wave bye bye, shake, crawl, head down (where he puts his head on your lap), speak, both paws on me, jump up, one paw on me, lap dog(where he sits on my lap like a little dog might, but he weighs 70 pounds...ouch) um...oh, and sit up...

well by border collie knows basic obedience, all agility comands (well the ones I know but she is the current icelandic agility champion), she knows herdin comands, and of trix: weave trough my legs and figur eights, play dead (with a bang too), crawl, fetch anything, bark on comand, count my fingers (we are upp to tree fingers now, it goes like this, I show her one finger and she barks once,two fingers and she barks twice), jump trough my hands, jump over my hands, spin, beg, back up, give me a kiss, roll over, open and close doors, and we are working on tracking now.

I havent thougt of any more tricks to teach for now but this is a fine collection dont you think :)

Guest Anonymous

Yep! :wink:

Daisy, my golden can sit, stay, come, heel (perfectly! :D) speak, shake, lay down, gimme kisses, out, "Want a treat?" "Go get your..." jump, and I'm in the process of teaching her to balance objects on her nose, and sit pretty.

Molly, my Collie knows sit, stay, come, heel, speak, down, jump, up, out, lay down, and I'm in the process of teaching her twirl. :)