Dogomania

Do you teach your dog tricks?

yellowlabsrule

Do you teach your dog tricks? I've taught mine to roll over, get tail, put paw on nose, get biscuit off nose (flip it off and catch it), retrieve (everything! Things I drop and things I throw for her!), crawl, shake, low five (she can't do a high five), and others also. Like wagging her tail! (not hard to teach a lab! :lol: )

Guest Anonymous

Yes, I taught both of my babies to do tricks, they can shake, one paw then the other, roll over, play dead, high five, retrive a number of thier toys when I ask, like Get your ball, or get your rope. They know what that means, and it is fun to show how intellegent they are, like a proud parient would be. Also it builds trust and a better relationship between you and your dog.

Guest Anonymous

Lol, I've taught Toby basic obedience(sit, stay, come, down, heel), and I've taught him a few tricks... This is a Schutzhund thing. It's called a voraus, which is like "go out". I point in a direction and tell him to go out, and he runs in that direction until I tell him to down, then he turns to face me and downs. It looks really cool!! :) He also is training for search and rescue... He says his prayers every night(he looks so sweet) by putting his paws up on the bed and putting his head between his paws. And he backs up(dunno if this would be classified as a trick or not) whenever I say "scoot". :) That wasn't really taught on purpose. I just said that whenever I wanted him to back up or move out of the way, and he just kind of caught on. He can also catch treats, shake, and give high fives. I never could get him to retrieve anything, though...

Guest Anonymous

Lol, I've taught Toby basic obedience(sit, stay, come, down, heel), and I've taught him a few tricks... This is a Schutzhund thing. It's called a voraus, which is like "go out". I point in a direction and tell him to go out, and he runs in that direction until I tell him to down, then he turns to face me and downs. It looks really cool!! :) He also is training for search and rescue... He says his prayers every night(he looks so sweet) by putting his paws up on the bed and putting his head between his paws. He'll take-a-bow, which looks like a play bow. And he backs up(dunno if this would be classified as a trick or not) whenever I say "scoot". :) That wasn't really taught on purpose. I just said that whenever I wanted him to back up or move out of the way, and he just kind of caught on. He can also catch treats, shake, and give high fives. I never could get him to retrieve anything, though...

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

Scout knows how to dance, he knows the basics (Sit, Stay, Heel, Come, No! Good Boy, Ect.) He knows loads of agility. Including the weave poles. He also is good friends with my 3 guinea pigs :P

Bailey knows the basics too, plus some agility. He can hit a basketball off his nose ((Yes, I taught him that after Air Bud. Lol)) He can balance a treat on his nose & catch it. He can high five & shake (Same thing) He also can play hide & seek

• 2 months later...
Guest Anonymous

Just out of interest...
How do you teach a dog to put a paw on the nose?
I have tried different things but she doesn't understand at all what I want.

Annette

• 1 month later...
Guest Anonymous

[color=blue][/color][size=6][/size][b] :roll:

Hi everyone, I am new to this site and am excited about it. I have a four month old goldendoodle who learns tricks quickly and I love spending time with him training him. He knows the basics (sit, sit stay, lie down, lie down and stay, speak) he also knows how to high five, play dead (just learned that today) whisper, roll over, lay on his side, play hide and seek, guess which hand his treat is in (kind of a stupid trick for a dog that can smell his treats a mile away). I think it would be great if those writing about the tricks could elaborate on how they taught thier dog the trick. I find all tricks need some basic knowledge first. For example to teach charlie to whisper I first taught him to speak at his normal loud volume,and then I whispered speak with my finger to my lips and then said shhhhh when he spoke until it was a whisper. Play dead he first had to learn to sit, then lay down then lay on his side, once all those were good I was able to teach play dead. High five started out as a Shake and I just wouldn't let him put his hand in my paw, it got better and better with time.
I look forward to hearing about tricks and how to's...this is my favorite time with my dog.
[/b]

I taught Luka the sit, down, paw, wait (for food and toys), wave hi, catch, beg (sit upright), pease (but both hands on person's lap), hug, and lie on back to show belly. I really want to teach him to crawl, flip and catch the food of his nose, heel, and retrieve, but I just can't do it right :( . By the way, he's bilingual, English and Japanese!

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='yellowlabsrule']Do you teach your dog tricks? I've taught mine to roll over, get tail, put paw on nose, get biscuit off nose (flip it off and catch it), retrieve (everything! Things I drop and things I throw for her!), crawl, shake, low five (she can't do a high five), and others also. Like wagging her tail! (not hard to teach a lab! :lol: )[/quote]

How did you teach your dog to put his paw on his now and get the biscuit off his nose. Mine loves food too much, I haven't had any luck.

Guest Anonymous

Hazel knows over 70 commands, and about 50% of them are tricks. (The other 50% are for sports)
Her most famous trick is to go open the fridge, grab a pop, bring it to me, then go back and close the fridge door. She always gets an audiance around her when doing "body tricks" She'll weave between my legs, do back vaults (where she launches off my back into the air) she'll vault off my leg, jump through my arms, "dance" with me, put her paws on any part of my body when I say so (ex. "Hazel, Paws here" then tap my leg and she'll put her paws there) the one thing that gets people watching the most is cuz I will joke with her. I will talk to her in whole sentances, and "comidy acts" with her, and she wil have great responds. My cusions always ask to watch her do tricks whenever they come over here. It's all great fun, the only thing is, she will almost ALWAYS only do this if I have a food reward :roll:

Guest Anonymous

LOL :lol:
Nope, only "training classes" Hazel's been to was for Agility, and that only taught her how to do agility... it's taken 4 years, and a LOT of time and effort, but that's just to teach her ALL that... she's really smart, and a relitvly easy dog to train. I usually teach her the most in the summer, I train her more then because it's nice out, and it's easier to do outside, she seems to respond better.

Sophie had a goldendoodle or goldenoodle - a Golden Retriever/Poodle. Generally a standerd size poodle is used in this mix as opposed to a Labrdoodle wich is a Labradour crossed with usually the next size down of poodle, whatever that size is called. They are trying to create an even smarter, even more obedient and "hypoallergenic" Golden Retriever or Labrador. Most of these dogs are first gens. but there are a few breeding programs that have up to 4rth gen last I heard.
I don't agree with breeding even more dogs, we have too many already but sometimes these crosses are rescues from shelters. They are nice dogs but the name is a bit cutesy for my tastes.

Goldendoodle= standard poodle/golden retriever X I think.

My auntie just got a Spoodle (english cocker spaniel X standard poodle)... I haven't seen her yet but apparently she's very cute and lively. My aunt is one of those people that has to have a trendy "designer" dog. :roll:

Guest Anonymous

[color=darkblue][/color][b][quote][/quote][list][/list][size=6][/size]

Just responding to the Goldendoodle question.

First of all these dogs are called Doods, Goldendoodles, or Goldenpoo.

They are a mix of poodle and golden retriver.
For the non shed hair my understanding is the father has to be the poodle.

My dog (Charlie) is the results of a 60 lb golden retriever (blonde) and a 54lb standard poodle (apricot). He will likely be larger than both parents. Rignt now at 4 months he weight 42lbs. If the calculation I've heard of is correct (2X's 4mos weight +10lbs for large breeds) he will likely weigh 90 lbs.

I am confused (do take this as a negative) as to why people always say there are enough dogs why breed a mixed breed. I looked for a poodle for several months but kept getting snobish remarks and then was told off by one breeder when I asked about multi-colored poodle (I saw one in a book and loved it) at that point I gave up on poodles (not the dog but dealing with the breeder) I saw a doodle 2 years earlier and kept looking at the pound for a poodle /retriever mix but there weren't any. In fact very seldom have I seen poodle mixes at the pounds in my area. If they are there they are seniors or in poor health. (Since I had an older/ sick dog at the time I knew I couldn't deal with a second). Anyways, I see this comment come up quit often and I don't get it. When I visit petfinders or anything else there are lots of pitbulls, rotties, staf. terriors, german sheppards, but I never hear anyone say that these breeders shouldn't breed that many and be more careful about who they sell their dogs to.

My opinion, perhaps I'm wrong!

Sophie[/b]

I don't know about others but my feeling is this: There are so many dogs in shelters that the only reason to breed at all is to improve the existing breed itself in a significant way - like breeding out genetic defaults or to breed for a paticular purpose - people who need herding dogs for instance require very specific dogs. It's not that I have anything against you or your dog its just I think that if no one bred that dog that eventually you would have found a dog that would have worked for you in a shelter. We are too used to getting everything we can pay for - "Oh I love that dog, his cute and well-behaved and has a temperment that fits with my family but couldn't we get it in white instead of black." Or larger or smaller or with longer or shorter hair etc etc. Just my opinion though. :niewiem:
But enough about that, tell us about your dog more, do you have pics?

Guest Anonymous

I re - read my last post and it said in brackets (do take this as a negative) I meant to write don't take this as a negative. Anyways I do agree with some things you have said, but like I said , after two years of searching the pounds I didn't have any luck finding the dog I wanted .

Guest Anonymous

I thought more about the reason not to breed mixed breeds. That purebreed, breeders breed dogs better for specific reasons. Tell me what does a person in the city need with a hearding dog? They are looking for a companion dog. Secondly, I did have a purebreed poodle, which at 7 years of ago showed signs of kidney failure and through lots and lots of vet visits and money she was able to live 3 more years, and died this February...great breeding wasn't it. These mixed breeds have hybrid vigour, which means they can be healthier. The breeder we had for our poodle didn't want to talk to us about his condition...probably knew this was a problem in her dogs. I think there is a lot of "high and mighty" attitudes out there about purebreed dogs...how about the dogs that maul kids and kill them...why should they even be breed.....and if you blame it on the owners...I turn around and blame it on the breeder for selling it to someone they should not have sold it to. The breeders need to breed less of their dogs too! Finally, when I looked for a dog, it seems to be a greater problem in the US not here in Canada...yes there are alot of dogs in Canada, but certainly not as many as in the US. Education is the key, not the breed or mixed breed of the dog.

Sophie I am sorry for your loss, 7 years is too short a time to spend with a loved member of your family.

Sophie you and I do agree at least a bit - I said the only people who should breed should be people doing so deliberately for the betterment of the breed not that anyone with a "purebreed" dog should be ok to breed their dog. If your poor poodle's breeder had done this then you guy might have had less chance of illness (if it was related to genetics and breeding.) If only people interested in breeding for the betterment of the breed (as opposed to those making a buck or just trying to improve their reps by tossing out a few litters or those who breed because their dog is purebread) were breeding there would be WAY less purebread dogs produced. Not every purebread is wellbread just as not every mix benefits from mixed breed vigour (if the parent material is not strong they mix will suffer from any genetic flaws.) I like mixes, I have two mixed breed rescues and they are beutiful wonderful dogs.
As for purebreeds that maul - a well bred dog (one bred by someone interested in betterment only) should have a good chance of being well tempered as temperment is one of the most important things to breed for. If a dog is aggresive or unstable it should not be bred no matter what its pedigree or other positve traits are.
And I didn't say city people needed a herding animal - people like Hobbit need working animals. If you are refering to my dog (Kavik a BC) he is not bred from working lines, the last proven working dog in his pedigree was at least 5 generations ago (I think) he's pedigree does not even include sport only herding, its all agility/show/flyball. Hobbit could never make a good working dog out of Kavik.
I also agree with you about education - education and desexing are the single most important thing in control of overpop of cats and dogs. If every shelter dog, pet only dog, or dog with poor genes or bad temperment was spayed or nuetered then in 5-10 years there would be no problem at all. If that were the case I would happily encourage very well educated, very controlled, very concerned research into new breeds if it would help dog health and make for dogs that fit the needs of society (wich is predominantly now a submissive to intermediate dog with good intelligence, high obedience with mostly low to moderate excercise and space requirements and that has a predisposition not to bark much, city dog, pet only dog)
I repeat from prev. post - I have nothing against you or your dog. And also from prev. post - tell us about your dog, and do you have any pictures.