Dogomania

Poor Jack

cheechweech

I have a friend who I don't see very often (maybe once a month or so), and when I got together with him on Friday, I asked how his Chi was. His doggie was a little black long-haired Chihuahua named Jack.

He just looked at me, and then said"Well, you don't know about this. I didn't know how to tell you. Jack died."

He then told me the story. Apparently, Jack was being kept outside during the day, despite the fact that Chis are NOT EVER outside dogs. How can a 3 pound dog be expected to be ok outside? He left Jack outside on a daily basis, and one day when he got home from work, Jack wasn't barking at the back door to meet him. My friend went out in the back yard and Jack was lying there dead, buried in several inches of hail from a storm.

Jack had a little doghouse in the yard, and my friend couldn't understand why he hadn't stayed in the house. I suggested that Jack probably got scared when the hail was beating on the roof of his doghouse, ran outside, and was probably too scared to make his way back into his house.

So little Jack was *BEATEN* to death by hail. It just makes me sick to think of how scared he must have been.

Then to top this story off, he said, "We took his body to the to the vet to dispose of it. They gave us his pawprint on a piece of paper. We really treasure that." Honestly, this is what he said - dispose.

If I had had any idea that Jack was being left outside during the day, I think I would have done a intervention dognapping on him, and never let my friend come to my house ever again.

I am having a lot of trouble with what happened here, and it is making me look at him differently as a friend. He has been a good friend to me, but he is not a good dog owner.

[img]http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0UACnAuMYQwHgZ*nVjx4Bh1KzgI7h1qho0X9TYsAv0Uwyff5m5KtFjhCBWW4e*9xbXNdw7wxPQcw5iDUQvdX!76azR!FdKx9Ea4EoURrJSvgrSSsxatRT43SC!xYAcPsW/jack.jpg?dc=4675538880143096661[/img]

[img]http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0UQDvAhQZuxF9XthjRQDCVOxTNYOysF9skPM7gKOrZnKUH705m3qQ5YQU!tnlrGXpWzVYZnjjkTfLt2Q69rRUYldV4Kv2Pj9t7O6FJMSXscXpdo2JZRWd32vu1t9WXoy7/jack1.jpg?dc=4675538880354965807[/img]

Thanks everyone for your advice. The hardest thing for me to handle, is how differently is has made me feel towards him as a friend. It's pretty hard to find out your buddy has done something that you consider to be horrible.

He sees it very differently though -- more like an unavoidable incident. "Well, how can you avoid a hailstorm happening?". I don't know if he is honest enough with himself to admit that if the dog had been inside that this would not have happened. :(

I know when Jack was a puppy that he was crate trained and stayed there during the day. I don't know at what point he began to be left outside, I know I wasn't aware of it. :x

On a (somewhat) better note, he does not plan to get another dog. I asked him and he said no, because he doesn't have the time to care for it properly and give it the attention it needs. So that is good.