Dogomania

Now he's pushing it.

ESSlover

I've been noticing something about my grandpa. See, he sits in the rocking chair by the couches, right behind where Carson frequently runs to get on the couch. Now whenever Grandpa's sitting there, and Carse runs by, Grandpa puts his foot out to get his legs caught up and tripping him. :-? Then when my uncle and aunt were over, he was talking to Jim (uncle) while my dad was playing with Carson, and said "I really dont like that dog.." and thennnn today during dinner he kept shoving his feet at Carse who took his place laying under the table, the only place where he wont beg. GRRRR. I'm afraid that Carse will think that he's playing, and start play barking/growling and Gmpa will hit him, and then Carse will nip back at him. (What my dad and he are constantly doing.) Any suggestions?

[quote name='Canis erectus']Well, if it were my grandpa, I'd just sell him to some overseas electronics sweatshop... :roll:[/quote]

Dont give me ideas.. :evilbat:

[quote name='AllAmericanPUP']wow what a jerk :evil:

have you tried talkin to your parents about it?

how much longer is your grandpa there for?[/quote]

I'm going to talk to him tonight after he leaves. He's living at a retirement senior housing thing about 3 miles from our house, so he'll be over here alot. And there really is no point in talking to him about it because his short term memory is completely shot, he wont remember things we told him 5 minutes ago.. :( [/quote]

as if life in your house is not confusing enuff for carse! here is what i would do -- load up your pockets with snacks (dog snacks :D ) and when your granpa does something like try to trip carse or push carse or whatever pop a treat in his mouth, carson that is. this way maybe you can teach him when granpa pushes or "plays" with him he should come get a snack from you. you may be able to avoid a potentially bad situation here. i would also treat the situation as a child and dog -- never let them be alone together. if you see your granpa do something inappropriate it is ok to tell him no we don't do it that way. you might have to teach carse to go somewhere else for dinner esp if granpa will eat with you frequently. you could crate him near the table so he still feels like he is with the family. just my suggestions.

ps i think granpa may need NILIF hahah!

Just direct Carson away from him. If need be, tether him to you.

It is NOT her Grandfather's fault. So for everyone saying nasty things about him, take the time to think that it sounds like he is either in the begining stages of Alzheimer's or Dementia.

If you do not know what that does to a person, then actucally, I'm glad that you don't have to witness it. But it will take the most intellegent person you know and turn him into a three year old before your eyes.

Go ahead folks.....get pissed at me if you want to....but until you've had to deal personally with a disease like this and what it does to someone, you'll never understand.

I agree with OG that you can't change your Grandpa, so how about trying to teach Carson? Can he sit by your chair when you eat instead of under the table to keep him out of the way of feet? Is there another place Carson could rest in place of the couch to keep out of the way of the deliberate tripping?

Your Grandfather is not going to remember not to do certain things and that it's not something he has control over at this stage of his life. So maybe you can help Carson keep out of his way. :D

[quote name='rotten_two']as if life in your house is not confusing enuff for carse! here is what i would do -- load up your pockets with snacks (dog snacks :D ) and when your granpa does something like try to trip carse or push carse or whatever pop a treat in his mouth, carson that is. this way maybe you can teach him when granpa pushes or "plays" with him he should come get a snack from you. you may be able to avoid a potentially bad situation here. i would also treat the situation as a child and dog -- never let them be alone together. if you see your granpa do something inappropriate it is ok to tell him no we don't do it that way. you might have to teach carse to go somewhere else for dinner esp if granpa will eat with you frequently. you could crate him near the table so he still feels like he is with the family. just my suggestions.

ps i think granpa may need NILIF hahah![/quote]

We're trying to get Carson to lay down on the other side of the table by my Dad so he's not in the way of feet. As for never letting Carse be alone with my gmpa, thats easy! Carse always follows my Dad around, CONSTANTLY. So I'll make sure he keeps doing that. :lol: I'll start carrying around snacks whenever my Grandpa's here.

[quote name='ObedienceGrrl']Just direct Carson away from him. If need be, tether him to you.

It is NOT her Grandfather's fault. So for everyone saying nasty things about him, take the time to think that it sounds like he is either in the begining stages of Alzheimer's or Dementia.

If you do not know what that does to a person, then actucally, I'm glad that you don't have to witness it. But it will take the most intellegent person you know and turn him into a three year old before your eyes.

Go ahead folks.....get p*** at me if you want to....but until you've had to deal personally with a disease like this and what it does to someone, you'll never understand.[/quote]

I also know that it isn't his fault. When my dad was growing up, he LOVED dogs. They always had them, and mostly mutts, lol. So seeing him being so.. mean? to Carson, its really weird. My mom was shocked when I told her what I was seeing. It really is the best way to explain it, seeing a grown man turn into a toddler before your eyes. Its the most stressfull, depressing thing to see.

[quote name='behle']Your Grandfather is not going to remember not to do certain things and that it's not something he has control over at this stage of his life. So maybe you can help Carson keep out of his way. [/quote]

Exactly.. He's going to the Docter on thursday to get an overall check up, and we'll see what he thinks about the memory loss. He wont remember us talking to him about it, but Carse will remember to stay out of the way. Thats probably the way to go..

Thanks for all your help guys. :wink: