Dogomania

The "Terrible Ten" dog list

gooeydog

[url]http://www.virtualimpax.com/klhh/3003.htm[/url]

Problems I see with it? Not differentiating between dog and human aggression, which makes it appear that human aggression is embraced by responsible pit bull fanciers. Also, that this person gives reasons for the other breeds' presence on the list (extreme popularity, poor owners), but makes no mention of the same for pit bulls, despite their being at least as affected by the same. They're also spreading the jaw pressure myth, as there has NEVER been any accurate way of measure a dog's bite strength.

As a side note, it aggravates me to no end that on their small dog page, they say that small dogs don't need obedience training :o

I also notice that they include the Staffordshire Bull Terrier in the generic term of pit bull.

I’ve always thought of Staffy’s as separate breed. Am I wrong in this line of thinking? Here in NSW, Pit Bulls are a restricted breed, however the Staffy is not.

They are a seperate breed from APBTs and AmStaffs, BUT because they look similar and all stemmed from the same foundation stock hundreds of years ago, they're all lumped into the one "pit bull" group in many places here. Sometimes Bull Terriers and American Bulldogs as well. Kind of like lumping all nordic breeds as "huskies"... it's not correct, but it's what people tend to do.

ok I'll play devils advocate (dont yell K, it needs to be done 8) )

for US, this list may seem wrong, or misleading or even biased. but its not meant for us. its meant for the average dog owner/buyer/adopter.
we research our dogs, and learn their traints, good points and fallacies. we all know too well JPQ doesnt, so for them, this list couldbe very helpful

this especially interested me, because I had a malamute mix, and before learning about pack rules and NILIF, I MADE these mistakes, and almost got badly injured because of it.

"According to Sapir Weiss's website Digital Dog "Forcing this breed into submission will only result in incredible aggressive reaction." He follows this statement with the comment "Good luck." Forewarned is forearmed."

this is exactly what I did. when he almost removed my arm in his ferocity
( someone had told me to make a breaking stick. I might be armless if I hadnt) I realized I was doing something terribly wrong. I learned. but I wouldnt want a child to learn the way I almost did. He ended up being the best dog ever, once I had figured him, and me out....

8)

[quote]Dobermans bred for show are often more slender, elegant and less aggressive than working lines. This dog responds to gentle correction. Hit, slap or otherwise abuse this breed and you're asking for trouble. (Keep in mind, small children often dole out "abuse" unintentionally.)[/quote]

Riiiiight... my chunk of a show boy is so slender and elegant, and he doesn't have a protective/aggressive bone in his body... yeah right! And please, I welcome the author to tell me that Ilsa responds to a gentle correction... AFTER, of course, she drags him for 100 yards, flat on his @$$, becuase a squirrel crossed her path... :wink:

Actually I agreed with quite a bit the author had to say. It wasn't really a statement of 'facts' so much as it is painting a more realistic picture about most of these breeds vs. the promotional descriptions that AKC and most breed clubs give you.

Not a perfect list by my standards though, I'd swap the places of Pit Bulls and German Shepherds. An ideally tempered Pit Bull wouldn't even rate the list IMO but the fact remains that Pits are just as much a victim of BYB's as any other breed and there are some 'naturally bad' one's out there. I'd also probably wipe Dobies from the list and replace them with Chessies.

Should've clarified that I really didn't see the list itself as the problem, and did agree with a lot of what was there, but what struck me was the way that for pit bulls, they emphasized that a non-aggressive one is "not the norm", while other breeds got the reasoning behind their presence on the list explained (maybe not completely accurately, as some here have pointed out, but at least it's something). I also was surprised to find that they advocated Border Collies (among other breeds, but this was the one that stood out for me) as "family dogs"... this is something that I've heard many rescuers go on about, how people get them thinking they're great pets, then can't handle them. I think they could've done better to just skip these parts, and put emphasis on individual dog/breed research, with maybe some general "group" descriptions (ie: herding breeds are often high energy and will need a job... terriers are often high energy and some are aggressive to other dogs/small animals, etc).