Dogomania

Do dogs ever forget

tx2478

Hey as you know my husband is coming home after 8 months of being gone and i am so scared that my dog will forget him...Star is a 3 year old GSD and her and him had such a bond when he left and i have showed him to her on the web cam but i am so scared about her first meet with him...i keep picturing her just jumping on him and recognizing him or growling.....she is very protective since he left about people coming into the house...any tips on how to introduce them without my husbands feelings getting hurt cuz his baby girl might not remember him

i go two months rarely without coming home and my dog always remembers me! I'm sure she'll probably remember him. People say they go without seeing there past dogs for years, and they still remember them.

Years ago, I went back home to visit my parents for a week. Our old dog had passed away and they had a new one. When I went back for the next visit 4 years later, Toby greeted me like his long lost family member.

So yes, the dogs will remember your DH. They may not remember the kid who came to the door selling girl scout cookies last year but if a person plays an important part in their pack even for a short time they will remember them.

Guest Anonymous

Star - protective.. HAHAHA just kidding.. she lets me in the house with otu growling.. what are you talking about??

I'm sure that she will remeber Billy, Alena... she might bark at first but as soon as she see's him i'm sure she'll remeber and start runnign laps around the house again

[quote name='tx2478']Hey as you know my husband is coming home after 8 months of being gone and i am so scared that my dog will forget him...Star is a 3 year old GSD and her and him had such a bond when he left and i have showed him to her on the web cam but i am so scared about her first meet with him...i keep picturing her just jumping on him and recognizing him or growling.....she is very protective since he left about people coming into the house...any tips on how to introduce them without my husbands feelings getting hurt cuz his baby girl might not remember him[/quote]

her reaction will depend on yours. if he walks in and you are suddenly afraid of a confrontation, a confrontation could take place. they remember smells, but they live day-to-day.....her role has been to protect you all this time, if you are afraid of her reaction to him that reaction may well happen. throw your arms around him, scream in pure joy he's back, and she'll be fine.

8)

and hubby...welcome home!

8)

Hey thanks for the advice i dont have anything with a scent on it unfortunatly but they do this howling thing together so i was thinking of him standing outside and howl and open the door and let her go find him....i do hope she doesnt growl at him it will just break his heart.

Guest Anonymous

Alena wanted me to ppost to you guys that Star did bark at billy, but she was waggin her tail, and a bit unsure at first, but now she wont leave his side.. :)

[quote name='DeafAussieLover']Alena wanted me to ppost to you guys that Star did bark at billy, but she was waggin her tail, and a bit unsure at first, but now she wont leave his side.. :)[/quote]

That's so good to hear! I figured that after a short re-introduction that everything would be fine!

well I'll be...you mean to tell us that after her husband has just come home from 8 months in the field, we gave her all the suggestions she needed about the re-meet, and she cant come here to tell us herself?
I feel insulted....

NOT!! welcome home Billy. thank you for looking after us....

8) 8) 8) 8) 8)