Dogomania

"Mystery dog" -- looks like a tiger

Seijun

Does anyone know what kind of dog this could be??
[url]http://www.cryptozoology.com/gallery/display_picture.php?id=2489[/url]
[url]http://www.cryptozoology.com/gallery/display_picture.php?id=2493[/url]

Supposedly, the thing is a dog from China (at least, that's what the guy was told when he bought it). It has claws like a dog so no, it is not a tiger. It is not a hyena or aardwolf either (markings too dissimilar). The fur is not dyed, the guy had it tested and the fur color is genuine. Most of us think this is probably a dog--but what kind? I have never seen markings quite like this before on any dog. Suggestions anyone?

EDIT: Forgot to mention, the tail-piece is missing from the pelt.

~Seij

Thats really odd! But interesting to say the least. It sort of reminds me of the Tazmanian Wolf (extinct). The ears look the same from what you can see, but the tazmanian wolf only had stripes on the back part of its body.

[img]http://www.arkive.org/media/2B684324-31CF-4A28-B2DB-FD367DD70F6D/Presentation.Medium/picture.jpg[/img]

You won't find it on Snopes, Pumpkin. Snopes usually only does stuff that is mass circulated on the net. This skin picture is not mass circulated, Cryptozoology.com is the only place it has been posted (so far), and we have been speaking with the owner of the pelt. It could be a fake, but only if the person who owns the skin deliberately dyed it and is lying about it not being dyed. He seems just as curious about the pelt

You know what I think it might be? A Chow Chow :-? . Chows have been around for a little over 2000 years, and the breed was a lot different looking as little as 60 years ago, with longer snouts and narrower faces. And it's always a possibility that a variegated or brindled coat like the one in the pic could show up in a Chow.
Hmm, a little DNA testing is in order maybe :P ?

pelts look bigger than the animal that wore it. think about it a minute...the pelt covered the whole animal, nose to tail. now its spread out across a flat surface. Bear skin rugs always look bigger then the original bear....

it may be some weird breed or breed mix, but I myself cant identify it.

Guest Mutts4Me

[quote name='Lucky Chaos']Thats really odd! But interesting to say the least. It sort of reminds me of the Tazmanian Wolf (extinct). The ears look the same from what you can see, but the tazmanian wolf only had stripes on the back part of its body.

[img]http://www.arkive.org/media/2B684324-31CF-4A28-B2DB-FD367DD70F6D/Presentation.Medium/picture.jpg[/img][/quote]

My first thought, before looking at the pictures, was of the thylacine (Tasmanian Tiger/Wolf), too. I'm fascinated by those creatures and always watch the documentaries on them, hoping for new info - they were trying to clone them from a preserved fetus last I knew.

But looking at the headshot of the pelt, I think it looks rather chowish, as well... I tried to look for depictions of the older chows, but no luck. I wonder if they can get an estimated age on the pelt?

Wow, I always find this sort of stuff exciting! I must say that I'm really up to par on zoology, and I've not ever seen or read about anything like this.

I'd have to agree with everyone else about this being a dog of some sort. It looks like it may be a little smaller than a wolf, and although not impossible, it's highly improbable that a large canine (typically daylight predators) would be running around East Asia still undiscovered.

The fur definately seems dog-like, longer around the cape, loins, and back of thighs; and it is stated to have dog-like feet. Two things seem kind of out of place though. Maybe I'm percieving the images wrong, the neck looks sort of long for a canine and the ears also seem to be rather rounded.

Except for the size difference I'd guess that it could be some unknown color variation of the dhole ( [url]http://www.lioncrusher.com/animal.asp?animal=14[/url] ). In all reality it's probably a domestic dog, maybe even a Chow or some relation thereof. All the same it must have been a handsome animal while it was still wearing it's skin.

Aside from the fact that it has stripes it doen't look like a Tazzie Tiger to me. My question is - if it is authentic why is he posting pics on the internet instead of taking it to a museum or zoologist? Seems a little strange to me. Is there a possibility of it being a hybrid with something?

I think the guy did plan on taking it to a zoologist (he allready did try a museum, they didn't know). We have suggested he get DNA testing done on it, not sure what his plans are at this point though as far as that goes.

~Seij