Dogomania

Spaying Clea

nadooshkinz

Okay, since I've convinced my mom that spaying is a GOOD thing, not a bad one that breaks the natural cycle or whatever :roll: Were going to have her spayed, but I just need some info on the surgery.
1)what is the ideal age? Clea's 4 months and a Half now, and I want to get it done as soon as possible so..?
2)side effects? I know this is a stupid question, but do dogs EVER die from neutering/spaying? :oops:
3) any addtional info u might care to add :wink:
thanks!

the only complication that I know of is a possible allergy to the anesthesia, and the vet can test for that beforehand.

I got Free spayed at 4 months, the worst side affect was that she acted drunk from the anesthesia for about 5 hours. she was up and about in 2 days. with girl dogs its a bigger surgery, so for the first couple of days they should be kept relatively quiet, but other than that its a no brainer.

now dont get upset, but make sure they are doing the whole thing. its basically a hysterectomy, if done right. some vets only tie tubes, and that does NOT always prevent pregnancy, and it also doesnt afford the protection from uterine and fallopian tube cancer.

there are vets here who do tubals, because they think a hysterectomy is "unnecessary surgery" I dont agree and have made an issue here about it.

it seems extreme on the front, but if the dog is never going to be mated, she doesnt need the uteris, or the fallopian tubes, and cancer is a real possibility....

[quote][quote name='courtnek']now dont get upset, but make sure they are doing the whole thing. its basically a hysterectomy, if done right. some vets only tie tubes, and that does NOT always prevent pregnancy, and it also doesnt afford the protection from uterine and fallopian tube cancer.[/quote]

[color=indigo]I've never heard of a vet only doing a tubal!! It would seem pointless to me. But I suppose there are some out there doing that. Make sure she's getting a complete Ovariohysterectomy.[/color] :D[/quote]

i've never heard about this either, since just tieing the tubes doesn't even prevent the bitch from coming into heat. so you'd have a dog that goes through heat cycles (and possibly false pregnancies after that, in the worst case every single time) like they normally do, but can't reproduce since the eggs can't travel to the uterus.

it doesn't make sense at all.

Oh! Oh! I know the answere!

It's pretty simple really. Alot of people believe that a dog's metabolic rate slows down slightly after it's been spayed or neutered. Whether this is true or not, I don't know. I'm not even sure what, if any research has been done on this subject, Either way I don't really have an opinion.

So some folks who want their dog spayed, but want to still have their show/ field trial/ agility dog in top notch form, will request a fallopian tie-off rather than a full OVH. I'm pretty sure that most evry vet think this is nonsense, but there are some who will just comply with the dog owner's wishes for the sake of avaiding some aggrevation, making some extra money, or to not risk losing a client.

I think there might be more to it than that, but it's been a long time since I'd been told this so I've likely forgotten a bit.

[quote]It's pretty simple really. Alot of people believe that a dog's metabolic rate slows down slightly after it's been spayed or neutered. Whether this is true or not, I don't know. I'm not even sure what, if any research has been done on this subject, Either way I don't really have an opinion.
[/quote]

in some cases that is true, which is where the whole "speuter makes them fat" line of thinking came from. speuter doesnt make them fat, but some dogs require less food intake afterwards. if they dont need as much food due to a metabolic change, and you keep feeding them the same amount, yes, they will get fat. Free had to have hre food cut back after speuter...Laurel did not.

oh, speaking of Laurel, I have never liked her name. I tried changing it to Lauren, but she wouldnt respond. she WILL respond to Lore, so thats her new name!!!

8)

Thankyou all so much! Dogo truly is a blessing :D
I've been reading up on OVH for a long time now, even since before I got Clea, and So I'll make sure with my vet. And I think I'll have him perform a full blood test, I'm extremely paranoid about that kind of thing :oops:
again thanks so much! I feel so much better now :wink: