Dogomania

heart torn...

courtnek

my son is 18. you all know he brought Ford home as a kitten. Ford has acclimated to the dogs, and the other cat. he is King Cat. he is healthy and happy here. Kyle and his girfriend want to move out, and take Ford.
Ford is his cat. I cant stop him. but Ford sleeps on my bed. loves me. seems perfectly happy here with the other animals. he lords it over them.

I feel he wont be happy in an apartment with no other animals to lord it over, since that is what he is used to. But I have no say in his fate...

what do I do, if anything? I am sad, but have no right to intervene..

am I just being selfish? I dont want him to be sad and alone in his new home...

Have you talked to you son and if gf and let them know how you feel?
Of course Ford may take to being the only pet in the household just fine or he might need an adjustment period. If they will be able to meet his 'affection' needs when they are home, might all be ok. Perhaps they will consider getting a second kitty to keep Ford company?
You could stress to them that at any time they feel Ford is not happy and would be better off coming home and staying with you, the door is open.
I know this is hard for you, you have grown to love Ford and don't want to see him go!

Here is my rational response:

I think Ford should choose. If he goes with them to an apartment and seems unhappy, he should be allowed to return to you and your home where he has become so happy.

And now my gut response:

Heck no! Ford should not have to be torn from the bosom of his furry family and the comfort he has found in his interactions with you!

[b]"Ford sleeps on my bed. loves me. seems perfectly happy here with the other animals. he lords it over them."[/b]

Wah! You are his mommy. He has picked you. He should definately stay!

Here's a question? Who takes care of Ford's needs? If it's you, then you definately should have a say in his living arrangements.

well, I told him how I feel about it, and he says Brandi (the girlfriend) loves Ford and really wants to take him with. as far as care, Kyle does feed and take care of him. he's been good about that. and he does play with Ford every day. I told him I felt that Ford would not be happy alone,since he is used to being around other animals. Kyle is thinking about that right now. I think if he decides to take Ford, then I will take him and Brandi to the shelter, and pick out another kitty to give them as a housewarming present, and I'll pay for the adoption and neutering fees if not already done....

that makes me feel better. I dont think he'll be happy alone all day while they're at work, since he is used to being around other critters all the time.

I also told him Ford could come back here anytime, if it doesnt work out.
and they could bring the other kitty here too.

I'm such a sucker for an animal....

Glad it's all sorted! :D

:lol: :lol: :lol: @ Courtnek because of these words:

[b] I also told him Ford could come back here anytime, if it doesnt work out.
and they could bring the other kitty here too.

I'm such a sucker for an animal....[/b]

So true! :angel:

we all thought he was a she when we got him. no sexual organs yet, and the guy Kyle got him from said it was a female. I just kinda accepted that, until he "matured".....Kyle never even noticed, I did while he was sleeping on his back (talk about full of himself, he was sleeping on his back on the couch in between two very large dogs...not the least bit intimidated by them) and I pointed it out to him and said "They gotta go...." he argued with me about it, but on that vote I stood firm and said "GOING!" and they did. He likes to tell me I de-manned him...(he's only kidding, he understood my reasons) and I usually tell him "same can be done for you if you dont watch out...." its an ongoing joke here....

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

actually, an even worse smell convinced Kyle I was right. One of his friends was petting Ford on the belly, and got sprayed....

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Kyle was like "God, thats awful!! will he always do that?"

"yep. no way around it without getting him 'done'"

"when can we take him in?"

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: