Dogomania

playmate - now or later...... etc

Baileysmom

Ok - I apologize in advance if this is long and rambling...... I jsut feel like I need to get some of my ideas and thoughts out and maybe see what others think or what experience others have had.......
More and more I am realizing Bailey needs a playmate, She wants so badly to play with another dog and for obvious reasons Bongo will have none of it. My first question is should I be looking now or waiting til Bongo is gone? either way I feel horrible - either I feel like I am pushing him out if I do now, or trying to replace him if I wait :o neither one of which is my intention. also, I worry if we brought home a dog now how would Bongo feel? like hes being replaced? :cry: or am I putting way too human emotions on him? and on the other hand - would doing something like that help him or us in letting go? or jsut take away time that we should be with him?

on a whole other side to those questions - any ideas on a good breed to look for ? I do not want a young puppy, but a yong enough "adult" that they are still playful (maybe a yr or two?) I am thinking small to medium size - we are fairly active, but not extremely, so dont want an "overwhelmingly active" doggie....... I will pretty much be looking at our humane society and on petfinder when I do.
so- any thoughts for me??

That's a tough decision....I don't honestly know what to tell ya. I don't even know what I would do, but I don't think that Bongo would feel replaced as you long as you didn't stop giving attention. Also if Bailey is lonely maybe he needs a friend. Dogs can get depressed, or atleast I've heard they can. That's rough, well with whatever you decide I wish you all the best!!!

Well idk what to tell ya BM but how is the poor guy? When u say small to medium guessing about 60 pounds or below? Labs can run small if it's mixed. Cincos got about 3 breeds in him (springer/hound/possible lab) he's around 45 and Dahlila is a Shihtzu/jackrussel running between 10-15 pounds. I'll check around petfinder if u like just to get some breeds.

Guest Anonymous

I agree. I would definately wait. The extra stress involved with a new member in the house should be put off. It would stress out Bongo and you. Can you imagine dealing with showing a new pup the ropes and the inevitable mishaps of a new pup/dog in the house right now?

Give yourself a break too. This is stressful for you too and you should wait for some of the stress to lift.

just my two cents

Joseph

Guest Anonymous

you can have Stryker at any time lol ;) remeber how tired they both were after a full day of play? i think only you and your family can make that choice.. I was looking for dogs while i was down in AZ with boonie beeing sick. I think it kind of helped me realize that i was going to loose him and i came to . hmmmm... brain fart.. totally forgot what i was goign to say....... are there any dogs at the THS? remeber offer is there lol you can have stryker any day... lol

Thanks everyone - you guys are right....... I need to wait, becasue it would be alot of added stress for everyone to train a new one while we are trying to give Bongo the best we can for his last month or so. Its jsut hard to see Bailey so bored sometimes, she seems to be jsut dying to paly with someone and Bongo jsut gets annoyed - we take them both to the dog park as often as we can, but thats a half hour drive away :(
Im thinking maybe the answer is having Stryker come over some days (if thats really ok Nay?) that way they can play and wear eachother out and Bongo didnt seem to mind him around at all - but its still on not a permanant change to stress him and all of us with :wink:

Guest Anonymous

yes it's really ok.. lol just let me know and i can come over and they can play or i can drop him off for a few hours so him and bailey can play! anytime. just text me or call and you can gladly have him !LOL he's got lots of energy.. he has been goign out back and running laps around the yard. i dont think i've ever seen a little dog run so fast!LOL

I also think that it would be better if you waited. And since Stryker can come over for playtimes with Bailey, that would help with his boredome.

Jackie and Maya were 1-1/2 years old when I adopted them, and I think that's the perfect age. They were all housebroken and out of the destructive puppy stage, yet they were young enough to still have a lot of goofy puppy left in them (and they still do at 4 years old). If you don't have the time to devote to bringing up a puppy (which I didn't) it's a great age to adopt.

I would say i would let leo come over and play but i can't get him to take 2 steps without wanting a lap to lay in....he is my lazy dog...Star is always up for going to the dog park but i know how worried you guys are about her grumpiness since she got into that scuffle with cody and zoey that one day....

well anyways if you want to see if leo wants to play with bailey i dont mind that either