Dogomania

Multiple dog household

ObedienceGrrl

Okay.....so how do you guys do it?

How do you go from 2 to 3
Then 3 to 4
Then 4 to 5
And so on??

And.....how do you get everyone to agree (read, spouses)?

What does your family say? Friends say? Do you get strange looks?

Just wondering......

Oh....you want to know why?

It's her.....[url]http://www.petfinder.org/pet.cgi?action=2&pet=2615559&adTarget=468petsgeneral&SessionID=420a9182285d9a9b-app1&display=&preview=1&row=0&tmpl=&stat=[/url]

I haven't even mentioned her to Jeremy yet. I don't even want him to know that I'm remotely considering getting another dog. I don't have the foggiest clue what his reaction would be.....but I know what my parents reaction would be!!!!

The kids hate it but oh well they are older teenagers and will be gone soon. Hubby backs me all the way, he's such a sweet man.

Anyway,
dog #1 Niki, adopted from the humane society.

dog #2 Bozy, adopted from ARPH 3 months later. He and Niki met before the adoption took place.

dog #3 Cody, brought home when she was a puppy. No problems the dogs love puppies.

dog #4 Cannon, don't have him yet and have never met him. This one I'm nervous about but my other three love other dogs so wish me luck.

Friends-Family they all think I'm nuts but it has been my dream to have a bunch of furkids and hey, we can afford it.

Good luck to you on getting that sweel doggie.

we went from one(maggie) to 2..shadow..cause i was at the science fair and in the petting zoo my ag teacher was giving away half great pyrenees half black labs..my dad said yes :o cause maggie needed a play mate.

dog #3..keesha..i think there were like 6 puppies all together..they were found in a ditch and brought to the vet by a very nice lady..nobody wanted keesha cause she was a small female..so my dad said I could have her..

dog #4..sheeba...her owners left her behind and she was wandering the streets..so i grabbed her...and my mom said ok...my dad wasnt home :evilbat:

dog # 5 & #6..eli and ozzy..my sister and her boyfriend dumped them on us..my parents werent happy at all and didnt agree..sure I could have given eli back to his owner..but then eli would have been given drugs, abused, and bred.

dog #7...barkley....they were neglecting him so I convinced my mom to let me go get him so we could foster him..yea right..lol....i found a person interested in him and my mom said NO he wasnt going anywhere :lol:

but now my dad is trying to make me rehome three of them :evil:

i dont have any trouble taking care of them..but he lives in some stupid a$$ dream world where all dogs should live on farms with lots of room ro run :roll: he also thinks dogs belong outside :evil:

all of my relatives think I am nuts..but I really dont care..god knows none of them properly take care of their pets :evil:

funny..my uncle patrick never makes a comment about how many dogs i have..we always talk about dogs and share pics..cause he has 3 dogs and they are all inside dogs that he loves dearly..all mixes..and all rescues :D

and my uncle denis has 2 inside dogs that he loves dearly..and he never comments about how many dogs I have.. :D

just goes to show ya that only true dog lovers understand

I adopted Maya 6 months after I adopted Jackie. Jackie was such a momma's girl that everyone thought I was nuts to get another dog because they thought it would be hard on Jackie. But it was just the opposite! They fell asleep on the sofa together their first night and they've been best friends ever since. And they both still get their individual mommy-time.

I was thinking of adopting a third dog, but that fell through. Being a single working woman with a horse boarded elsewhere, two dogs is just right for me. Since Jackie and Maya are so tight, and the fact that Maya has to be cabled when she's outside, it would be hard to introduce another dog into my little family.

But if it works for you, go for it!

I wouldn't give one thought to what family and friends who don't live with you or take care of the animals think. But I would make sure the people in your household are alright with it. Other then that as long as your able then do what you want.

My Aunt and Uncle think were nuts for having 3 dogs. But who cares they don't live here or take care of them. It's none of their business they don't have one dog because my Aunt thinks dogs are too smelly and hairy. Whatever.

We started off with Sam, whom we bought from a small petstore in our "naive" days :oops: He was our first dog.

About 8 months later, we decided we wanted to get Sam a buddy and we had realized that we loved being dog owners. A little wiser, we went to the Humane Society and adopted Travis, our GSD.

Things stayed static for a couple years until we moved out to the country onto 6 acres. We started talking about a third now that we had the room and started looking. After a month or so we adopted Zeke from a local shelter in November of 2002.

We thought that would be it, but after two years I started getting that "I want a puppy" feeling again, plus rescuing Travis and Zeke had given me a hard to describe feeling that I wanted to recapture. Hard to put into words.

Its like, of all the things I've ever done, rescuing these dogs and giving them homes is the one true, pure, untainted thing I've ever done.

Started looking on and off on Petfinder. Came across Riley on Petfinder at a shelter near our cottage. Went and saw him with the gang and that was that. Took Riley home at the end of September 2004.

People always freak when they find out we have 4, but its really not that big of a deal. I think going from 1 to 2 is probably the hardest part. After that its pretty easy.

If I won the lottery tomorrow and could retire, I'd probably end up with another 3 or 4.

I agree with the family thing. My wife's side was somewhat disapproving, but like I said to my wife; this is what makes us happy, this is what brings joy into our life. If they can't accept that, screw them.

It all started with,,,, "When I buy a home, Xavier you can finally have your doggy that you've been asking for." That was years ago. I bought my home in 01' I just met Ro and him, I and X agreed to look at different breeds. We feel in love with Rotties. So here came Free. After Free I was just looking online searching for a good forum to call "Home" I came across some site that had ads on it. I read an add that said " Rottweiler for Adoption" Free to a good home, if not adopted will be PTS, I felt bad because I love the breed so then came Patti. I got Patti with out even telling Ro. He wasn't thrilled when I pulled up with this over-weight, dirty, smelly, scared of every thing, unwanted from her owners, no mannered dog. He always stated that his next dog after Free would have been a male not a female because bitches do not get along well blah blah . So to make up for pi$$ing him off came Asim. :evilbat: And If it wasn't for my city having a limit on 3 dogs per household I would have more with or with out Ro say!!! I own the house not him. I would save every dog from being PTS if I could!!!!!! ( That's why I try so hard with my girls because I love them all so much!)

my heart ruled my head, my husband is worse than me - he was the one who took us from one dog to two.
We are now on three for the second time :lol:
[img]http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0WgD9AhEdP0eo*Q5ALVOQJ0ZNYKZij5djxTP1orqVjHNmv0twe0RQq!fDkA3MlnaW8jm0lp2nLPXPFYSH0IZVD1igamxE07Y8sQqxWw0h0uBjgjPDDQH1vKPq6k5oOn7nW68QDhmx2EI/Pictureaa%20273.jpg?dc=4675509574841552013[/img]