Dogomania

The Bodyguard

Carolk9s

Jesse actually has two bodyguards, me, and now Candy. Candy is MUCH faster than I am!
Saturday at the park, walking along, Jesse bringing up the rear as usual.
The girls and I passed a man with his dog, a large female looked to be an Irish Setter mix. I've seen him and his dog before, she is not the most sociable animal. I stopped and turned back to get Jesse, he had sped up upon seeing the other dog. He reached her before I reached him and starting sniffing her. After a few sniffs, she had had enough and snarked at him. Didn't touch him, just snarled. Completely within her rights to do so of course. Jesse had already said 'sorry ma'am' and was moving away when out of the corner of my eye, I see a blond blur go by, it was Candy. She SLAMMED into the other dog snarling with all the hair on her back standing up. Nobody messes with HER Jesse. Candy is a good 9 or so inches smaller and probably less than 1/2 the weight of the other dog, didn't stop her from rushing to his defense.
The girls faced off, both snarling. I yelled at them both to KNOCK IT OFF, thankfully both decided to do just that.
I've seen this before in Candy to a lesser degree. If any other dog even tries to play a little rough with Jesse, Candy will get right between them and either lure or drive the other dog off.
She also helps him locate me should he get so far behind that he cannot see me. Now I ONLY let him drop back that far when we have the field to ourselves, usually very early in the morning. The other morning, we started walking, Jesse turned back to sniff something enticing, and I got pretty far ahead of him. When I looked back for him, saw him across the field. I yelled his name and started waving my arms, his eyesight is not as sharp so he needs BIG signals. As soon as I had called his name, Candy raced across the field, circled him, and ran back my way. This drew his attention and he then saw me and headed our way.
I have to wonder, does she sense his extra needs due to his age? I haven't seen her do any of this for Brittany.
Jesse really did not like her at first and snarked at her quite a bit. He's relented over time and she's finally convinced him to let her wash his face.
I have heard of dogs watching out for other dogs, I am so glad Candy has taken this on.

That is so sweet. Candy is a dear little caretaker.
They certainly know who their family is - and take steps to care for them.

I walk Kavik and Zaphod seperately because of this. Kavik is fine, Zaphod is making progress but might get snarky with another dog even in passing (safely leashed of course.) I'm worried if the other dog snarked back Kavik would rush into take charge of the confrontation and I am simply not able to control both boys if they choose to have a confrontation at the same time.

Once I was walking with Shilo, my friend, and her puppy, and this huge mix puppy from nearby came out and was trying to play with my friends little puppy and started getting all tangled up in the leash and was practcally squishing the small puppy. Shilo got very upset and rushed in, distracted the big puppy, and lured it away by pretending she wanted to play with it. It was pretty neat to watch a dog actually thinking like that.

~Seij

Thats really sweet that they have such a strong bond. Zoe was always like that with my Abby. If Abby was walking near us up the road and a car would come close, Zoe would stand by Abby blocking her from the car. Also when Abby was hit by a car and hurt, Zoe was incredibly protective over her knowing she was hurt and would have snapped at our other cat Bin Laden if he went near Abby. Dogs just have a great attitude.

Yeah, Sam and Travis used to do this at the local dog park (Travis protecting Sam).

Sam, being the social butterfly he is, would be off playing with everybody and tearing around. Usually, everything would be fine but once and a while one of the other dogs would get a little too rough; growling and nipping at Sam's neck while chasing him.

When this would happen, Travis would immediately come barreling in out of nowhere at a sharp angle and chest-butt the other dog going full blast; basically the equivalent of a football tackle. It was pretty bad sometimes, considering Travis usually outweighed the other dog by anywhere from 20 to 50 lbs and that the other dog would be so focused on Sam they wouldn't see him coming.

The worst was this fairly big Rottie male that suddenly got very aggressive with Sam while chasing him, enough that Sam yelped. I got concerned and was about to intervene when out of the corner of my eye I see Travis going all out, head low, bee-lining for this dog.

A fraction of a second later he t-bones the other dog with an audible "whump!" and the Rottie literally goes flying. He hits the ground and does 3 or 4 rolls, dust flying everywhere and Travis is staying right on top of him. They come to a stop, Rottie on his back, Travis standing over top of him and stayed like that for a few seconds. Finally, Travis lets him up and the rottie takes off towards his owner. Didn't bother Sam after that.

This is cool, because this is typical pack behavior. Your dogs all consider you and each other as part of the same pack. it is the responsiblity of all animals in the pack to look out for each other. It is close to the same reasons they protect us. it's their job. some dogs are better at it then others, some may never rise to another's defense, but I have seen and heard this often to know its true. I've seen little dogs go after big dogs when one of their pack was being disturbed. Free cracks me up cuz she considers ANYTHING being threatened, from me to Laurel to Kyle to his friends, as her responsiblitity. his friends are here so often I think she thinks they are all part of her pack too....and she doesnt play favorites. Kyle wrestles with his girlfriend (not hard, in play) but if she yelps Free is right there in between them, with that warning stance and bark, like "STOP IT! RIGHT NOW!" its really funny...