Dogomania

Baby, it's cooooooold outside.

boosiebutt

Small dogs, or dogs with a certain sensitivity to the cold... How do you handle potties when the weather gets super cold and windy? Pixie was ok with her "homemade fur coat", I think because she's so fuzzy the wind can't get in, but poor Peanut's more silky, and so the cold and wind gets right in. He was just shaking and shaking. I put a puppy coat on him, and that didn't do it (left his underbelly nekkid!) then I put a sweater and the coat on him, and the darn sweater came down too far and "belly banded" him. I'm also thinking booties are in order.

My friend at work thinks I'm going a little overboard over the puppies, saying "God forbid you should ever have a child." To which I respond, "But I'm ALLOWED to get my kids coats and boots!" :o

So, where do people get cold weather gear for their "kids"? Does anyone have customizable homemade solutions? I'd like to get Peanut (and Pixie when the winter gets strong enough to penatrate her defenses) wind and cold proofed, but leave the bits that we're going out to "use" available! :D :oops:

Today, I was thinking I would have to set up a "litter station" in the garage. Just fill a low box with dirt and sod (the puppies' preferred outdoor amenities) in the chilly, but at least windproof garage.

there are websites that sell all sorts of dog accesories for the cold. coats, boots, etc. most of them can also be found at petstores. Mine are both big, but Laurel's feet get cold easily so I have boots for her. Freecouldnt care less, she has the double thick lab coat, completely waterproof....

All mine do is quickly run outside pee or poop and run back in but it usually takes time when pups to get used to the rain and cold and then after that once a year they need a day to adjust it requires me to do a lot of "Go pee pee, NO don't come in, no go out and go pee pee. I said go." The neighbors probably think I am nuts. But I do have jammies for my cairn cause he gets cold in the middle of the night. Picture below.

I think your gonna have to give up covering the belly for trips to pee. :lol: Even Toto's jammies have the belly showing and I certainly don't send him out in those to go pee. Why do they do that with every clothing item?

I live in a fairly mild climate where it doesn't get too awfully cold. It doesn't snow here or anything. Of course, that doesn't stop me from putting a jacket or sweater on Peanut if we're going out somewhere just 'cuz she's kind of cold natured (oh my, it's below 60 degrees... better grab a sweater :roll: ).

I've always wondered how people handle their little dogs with the boots and the coats and such for the quick potty trips. My dogs are usually in such a hurry to get out the door that I don't think I would have a chance to get any of them suited up in time to make it. I was wondering if dogs that have to pee or poop will just stand there while you're dressing them. I'm not being a smart*ss; I'm genuinely curious about how that works.

HF, so far, since they haven't learned how to tell me they GOTTA GO!!!, I am getting Peanut all dressed up and out before we hit that stage. Plus, I think even if he is out there and having to go, but super cold, he's not hearing the call of nature in the rush to get back inside and curled up on my nice warm lap! Since I'm still working on the potty training thing, I think he's looking at me going, "Now [i]why[/i] are we standing out here again?" But I'm thinking things are looking up this week, because I have the whole week off, and am really focusing on looking for the signals of an impending potty time.

Gigi, whew! It was sooo windy! Peanut got away from me and ran around the side of the house, where it was reallyreallyreally windy, and I did think he was going to get flattened! But on the plus side, I did get to call him Toto, and make an extra lame tornado joke. Which Pixie found very amusing, I assure you! :lol: :lol: :lol: