Dogomania

New Shih Tzu

Nae_Nae_Nookie

ok your saying that i'm not a responsible dog owner for a 15yr. old,and where my kids at my school,even kids from middle school think having a dog means money & fighting.hey thats the way it is over here,i'm not sure there a many 15yr. olds that take care of their dog like me.some of my friends that own dog still haven't taken their dog to a vet & i can't make up their mind to take their dog to the vet.not even dogs,but other animals too.cats inside?they are more concerned about their health about hairballs & shedding than the cat getting fiv.even the adults here think that way,thats just the way it is.i mean the world isn't full of spayed,vaccine,pearled-up dogs.i mean isn't beinging a dog owner learning in the process?

and thanks everyone for their advice :D

I think you're avoiding the point here. If you're living in the sort of situation where your mom refuses to take the dog to the vet or something along those lines, then you shouldn't even have a dog. Yes, having a dog is a learning experience, but that doesn't mean that at the first behavior problem you drop the dog at the nearest shelter. Somehow I think that's common sense... that mistake could've cost the dog it's LIFE. But, luckily it didn't and now you can learn from it. I do hope you'll read some of the threads on here if you have any questions and keep an open mind about it all.

thanks for the advice abker,i mean with me its just beinging a teen with having a dog,like i know it wasn't going to have the best lifestyle but i just had to have it.like other choices,for example sex,i could catch something,but i have to have sex,or i could get lung cancer,but i have to smoke.and i was narrow-minded too,i didn't believe if a dog wasn't sick,that it didn't have to go to the vet.like some kids are racists because their parents are racist & thats how they were brought up.actually my mom is a racist & i learned not to follow her footsteps in her decision.even though she hates the friends i chose to be with,its my decision.just like i broke the whole a dog is lesser than a human & should be raised that way.

i'm not talking about people on the boards,they probably have way more experience & take care of their dog much better,i'm talking about the kids where i live.

Guest Mutts4Me

Okay, I missed the original fiasco while I was in the boondocks and unable to read too many posts.

You know what, Nae Nae? I know how it goes. I got my first dog in 5th grade, 10 years old, and I had no control over what my parents chose to do with it. They, too, were "old school" in their concept of what having a dog meant. He was a housedog, but he was tied outside when we left because he chewed. He never got any formal training, just the tricks I taught him. I took him for walks until the number of loose dogs threatening him scarred me too badly. We never got him fixed.

So you're 15 and not in charge. You parents make the decision about getting a dog and getting rid of one. They make the decision to bring a 3-month-old Akita mix puppy into the house probably knowing nothing about Akitas. They don't make sure she gets the attention and socialization a puppy needs. They don't consult anyone about what [i]teething[/i] is and what to do about it... a vet should've been able to help. Okay, so maybe this is not a 15-year-old's fault. You can't even drive (to the vet, for help... to a trainer... around the neighborhood looking for a new home... whatever), and your parents obviously don't care enough about the puppy to drive you for the purposes of helping the puppy.

But you know what else?

[quote name='Nae_Nae_Nookie']but there are people that surrender their pets to shelters because of behavior issues,in this case teething,which i learned wasn't even a reason why to give a dog up.but 90% of the dogs in the pounds are surrender because of behavior issues,thats the truth.[/quote]

You can be held responsible for your attitude. In the older post, you seemed very casual about the fact that you used to have this dog but had to send it to the shelter because it was teething too much. And then you toss up the fact that a vast majority of dogs in shelters are there for behavioral issues as if that [b]justifies[/b] something. Well, it doesn't. Yes, a vast majority of animals in shelters are there for so-called "behavioral issues," but you know what a vast majority of those behavioral issues really are? They're a lack of knowledge and training. They're the result of someone getting a puppy on a whim and not knowing what to do for it, then blaming it when it does stuff that a) comes natural and/or b) doesn't know not to do.

You lost your last puppy because your family wasn't able to handle the responsibility that comes with adopting a puppy. That's very sad. But now you're oh-so-excited about getting another puppy that's about the same age as the other one. You shouldn't be excited about that, you should be worried. Because if my family went through puppies like that because they couldn't handle puppies, I'd think that maybe they shouldn't have another puppy. Maybe they shouldn't even have another dog at all, or at the very least, maybe an older dog that's calm and trained already. There are tons of older dogs out there that are perfectly good dogs, but are no longer quite as cute as they used to be. Of course, then you'd have to worry about old age, illnesses, and accidents. Who knows how that would be handled, huh?

So you've got a new puppy. That's done and over with; it can't be changed now. So I wish you and Cookie the best. In a year, you'll be able to drive, and maybe you'll be able to get a job and take full responsibility for your new dog. I'm glad that you've enrolled him in classes already, and I hope you continue on that path. Also, [i]do[/i] try to think of your dog as a friend, and a family member, not a thing. I don't know if you mean anything by it or not, but constantly referring to your pet as an "it" instead of by its name or at least gender suggests some kind of detachment. I don't even call my beautiful little fishies "it"s.

Guest Mutts4Me

I also want to say how much I [b]admire[/b] all of you teenage dog-owners on Dogo. I'm so impressed with all of you. You do so much more with and for your dog(s) than I ever was able at that age. I did the best I could with the resources I had then (books), but I didn't have internet access until I was 15 or 16. How I wish I'd grown up on Dogo, getting all this valuable experience! You guys rock!

[quote name='Mutts4Me']I also want to say how much I [b]admire[/b] all of you teenage dog-owners on Dogo. I'm so impressed with all of you. You do so much more with and for your dog(s) than I ever was able at that age. I did the best I could with the resources I had then (books), but I didn't have internet access until I was 15 or 16. How I wish I'd grown up on Dogo, getting all this valuable experience! You guys rock![/quote]

Thank you :calus:

• 4 months later...

Ok 1st let me say I'm 15 and probbaly take care of my dogs just as much if not more than mom and dad do.

2nd I want to say that even though this post is from last october i just can't keep my mouth shut. When I was in 1st grade my 1st dog max died at 15 yrs old and my parents made the mistake of adopting a dog the next day cuz my mom saw a dog that was the exact same mix as her childhood dog Sam. Bichon poodle mix. We wound up adopting him only to find out a few months later that he never got puppy shots by the last owner b4 us and this meaning he became distemper +! Also he was socioly backwards. My parents just couldn't afford the treatment at the time for distemper so he went to the HS again. At the time we had no internet to post about him.