Dogomania

Small breed owners

gooeydog

Saw something today that made me decided to throw this out as a FYI...

There have been incidences of small dogs being injured/killed by birds of prey (hawks, eagles, etc). It's not a real common occurance, but if you live in an area where these type of birds live as well, it's something to be aware of. Especially in recently developed areas, where birds are still around and food is getting scarce, they don't know that your small dog (or cat) isn't food.

[quote name='JackieMaya']We used to love the bald eagles flying overhead at our lake home. But if my brother had his Cocker Spaniel there when the eagles were out, we made sure we kept a real close eye on him. You could tell that a few of the eagles were checking him out as a possible meal.[/quote]
I don't know much about bald eagles can they really pick up a cocker spaniel? I was sitting here thinking my dogs are safe because I don't have one under 20lbs. [img]http://www.emotipad.com/emoticons/Drop%20Gob.gif[/img]

. eagles are very strong. they have wingspans of 6-8 feet wide. They could easily take off with a small dog, skunks, raccoons, etc, but they mostly hunt fish. Of course, we have them here now, having been driven out of a lot of their natural habitat. in lieu of fish they will snatch up small animals. I saw one on the power lines near the forest preserves here, and there are no fish in those preserves. They've also been sighted by the fishing ponds in the housing develpoments, which are stocked with bass and catfish and other kinds of fish for the homeowners to fish from. The Fox river has tons of fish in it too.

I saw a hawk dive bomb into my yard a few years ago and snatch up a rabbit. I didnt even know the rabbit was there....

:o :o

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='Cairn6'][quote name='JackieMaya']We used to love the bald eagles flying overhead at our lake home. But if my brother had his Cocker Spaniel there when the eagles were out, we made sure we kept a real close eye on him. You could tell that a few of the eagles were checking him out as a possible meal.[/quote]
I don't know much about bald eagles can they really pick up a cocker spaniel? I was sitting here thinking my dogs are safe because I don't have one under 20lbs. [img]http://www.emotipad.com/emoticons/Drop%20Gob.gif[/img][/quote]

I really do not think any, not even the largest bird of prey would make an attempt at taking a Cocker Spaniel for a meal. Unless this was a mix breed Cocker Spaniel that was much smaller a bird of prey wouldn't be strong enough to carry such a large prey. A Cocker Spaniel is a medium breed dog, I think you should only be concerned with the small and extra small toy breeds.

I've got birds of prey living all around me, and beleive me, I worry!!! One of the eagles around here has been seen flying with a lamb to its nest, 2kg Montie wouldn't stand a chance!!! And then there's that fox thats been harassing the dogs, got someone to shoot it last night, thank god for that. It is often a worry living out of town, but you're not safe anywhere really, I was walking the dogs in town the other day when a guy decided to let his staffie off to go at Montie, could have killed him, the guy didn't even offer to pay vet bills, instead yelled at me when I started screaming at his dog and dragged it off poor Monn... stupid arrogant guy... I'm SOOOO annoyed, poor Montie was in so much pain, had to take pain killers for a week, tore all the muscles down his back and got numberous puncture wounds, lucky it wasn't worse :(

If I do ever see a bird of prey though, the first thing I do is pick the dogs up, no point waiting and believing it wont happen to you, because if it does then its already too late.