Dogomania

One sick puppy... Help!

boosiebutt

Peanut has what I thought was kennel cough, but it's not going away, and I just want to check to see what else it might be and what else I should do.

A couple of weeks ago, I boarded Peanut at my vet's while I went out of town for the weekend to visit my sister. I had previously gotten Peanut a bordetella vaccination (shot, not intranasal). When I picked him up after the weekend (dropped off Friday, picked up Monday), he had a cough. It was like he was working something up with deep, kind of "ahem"s, then end up with a sharper hack. He kind of crouches back, when he'd doing it. Sometimes, but not everytime it would end up with him spitting up foamy spit.

I took him back to the vet to get checked out, and they prescribed him some cough syrup, and clavamox liquid antibiotic. I proceeded to shoot the stuff out of a syringe into the general direction of his mouth. I tried to hold him still, and get it far enough into his mouth that he'd swallow, but he was pretty squiggly, so I probably got more medicine around his mouth than in it.

So, after the couple of weeks he was on that, he still had the cough. I took him back in, and the vet gave him two different kinds of pill. One is an antihistamine & steroid, and the other is clavamox pills. I give him a quarter of the first and half of the second, twice a day. I have enough pills for 10 days. He's (*I'm*) much better with the pills, especially interspersed with teeny bits of Pupperoni (my dog is a pupperoni whore :roll: :wink: :roll: )

He's been on those since Monday afternoon, and his cough doesn't seem to be getting any better. When I come home, and he gets excited, it's like he's breathing/snorting through phleghm bubbles in his chest. And also, he's started to kind of dribble this morning, instead of a proper pee.

Does anybody think that he could be getting pneumonia now, or was he misdiagnosed to begin with? Should I get him back into the vet soonsoon, or am I just freaking out more than I need to?

Also, I'm thinking of switching vets, since I've had problems with them before, like him getting a puppy shot, then when I asked about getting the bordetella shot as well, they said they thought he had it already. It turned out that there is another Peanut Brown in there files, and they had the wrong chart for Peanut. So they leave us in the exam room to get the right chart, and I'm left watching Peanut for any signs of reaction to the shot they gave him, thinking it was a different Peanut!

PS. He hasn't gone off his food or water. Snarfs them down, no prob.

[b]Edited to add:[/b]
PPS. He hasn't been acting depressed. We'll go for walks and he'll be at the end of his leash, sniffing around, and pause to ahem, ahem, ahem, hack, than get moving again.

His poos have remained solid, no diarrhea.

He is 4 months old, and had the bordetella shot 2 months ago.

This is the 'zact reason I don't waste my money on bordatella vaccines, anymore. They're useless. Without fail, a couple of my dogs would get kennel cough every freakin' year, vaccine or not, and the others NEVER get it, vaccine or not.

I think my affected dogs just got something for the coughing and we let the kennel cough run its course (no antibiotics... I think?). I'm not sure, but isn't the worst "threat" from kennel cough secondary infections brought on by a lot of coughing? DivOb? Kat? Someone?

Then again, sleep deprivation may be talking here. :oops:

Well, I took Peanut to a different vet today. I like this place much better so far. When I called to make an appointment, and mentioned it was for a cough, the receptionist let me know that I'd need to keep Peanut out in the car until a room was ready... thus not spread anything to other dogs. Already better than the other place.

So, I gave them his history and everything, and the vet tried massaging his throat to coax a cough, and nothing. She gave him some x-rays and said that his throat and lungs look clear, but he might be pre-disposed to collapsing trachea and upper-respiratory infections, because his trachea gets pretty narrow. She says that he's probably stuck in a vicious cycle of coughing causes irritated throat causes coughing... She told me to STOP giving him his pills. He'd already run the course of Clavamox, but was still taking the antihistamine-steroid, which was prednisone. Which the new vet said was not good for puppies.

So, she gave me drops of cough suppressant, to soothe his throat and allow inflammation to go away. She also taught me how to give the drops, which the other vet didn't do. She says he's not contagious, so yay! Especially since we're picking up his little sister (Pixie!) tomorrow.

She also gave me some tips on training Peanut, since he's such a wriggler. She taught me a couple of puppy holds to practice while we watch tv or sit around, where I make sure to get my hand up above his paws, so he knows who's in charge. And she gave me some tips on crate/potty training.

I think I've found my vet!

Thanks for all the advice!

• 9 months later...

[quote name='Horsefeathers!']This is the 'zact reason I don't waste my money on bordatella vaccines, anymore. They're useless. Without fail, a couple of my dogs would get kennel cough every freakin' year, vaccine or not, and the others NEVER get it, vaccine or not.

I think my affected dogs just got something for the coughing and we let the kennel cough run its course (no antibiotics... I think?). I'm not sure, but isn't the worst "threat" from kennel cough secondary infections brought on by a lot of coughing? DivOb? Kat? Someone?

Then again, sleep deprivation may be talking here. :oops:[/quote]

I know the thread is old, but FYI. here you CANT board a dog without the kennel cough shot. its required.....

Guest Anonymous

dang it.. is at there reading the whole thing.. and was thinkign to my self.. wow peanut is so much older then that. i dind't even think to look at the date *smacks head*