Dogomania

*sigh* Another ill dogger

Horsefeathers!

Smooshie, I was kind of wondering who I p*ssed off, too. :-?

Chico is home tonight and ate a little. He still smells "sick" to me, but he seems to be feeling a little better. Perry isn't any worse than he was this morning and he's not acting like he feels bad (he was very sick before), so who knows? Maybe it was just an unrelated upset tummy. Anytime one of them so much as poots funny these days, I get all paranoid.

Thanks, guys. I'll let you know what the culture shows.

Oh, I forgot! Erin, they do all get bottled water. That initially started to help with the tear staining of a couple of my Poodles, but everyone now gets the bottled water. That was one of the first things my vet asked about. Thanks for mentioning it, though, because we are certainly open to ideas.

Kat, I mentioned to Doc about the foot washing thing and he said we would have to virtually do a surgical scrub on all their feet each time they come in for it to do any good because of all the cracks and crannies in the pads. I mentioned the dilute bleach water idea and he said, "yikes." I thought it (the foot washing) sounded like a good idea, though. I had even figured out a way (I think) to get an assembly line going with all 10 dogs. :oops:

Bleaching the yard, though, is definitely in our plans.

I'm wondering if maybe our carpet might be contaminated beyond any hope of sanitation. Some of the accidental blowouts were in the house :oops: and we've cleaned and cleaned and cleaned with enzymatic cleaners and sprayed with disinfectants, but you can't really bleach down carpet. I'm wondering if "it" might be embedded in our carpeting beyond any means of disinfecting. I mentioned that to Doc and he kind of shrugged, but he didn't think it was likely. Well, it seems as possible as anything else we can think of. Thoughts, anyone?

:o...is [i]moving[/i] an option??

I have no clue what to tell you HF.....It seems you've already explored every possibility I can think of (short of calling in a HAZMAT team :-? ).

I do hope whatever this is blows over soon though...I can't imagine how frustrating it must be for you and hubby :(

Good luck and keep us posted...

Ok heres another idea a little more practical. When we had the foot and mouth disease in the UK a few years ago everytime someone walked across our surgery door or into the dog club, the people and dogs had to walk across a shallow footbath. You could try that (we used a shallow long feed tray) or you could soak a few towels in disinfectant and put those across the door so that their feet get disinfected as they walk in. I hope that there are no more sick doggies for your sanity. You have had such a bad time of it lately *hugs* :wink:

[quote name='Smooshie']:o...is [i]moving[/i] an option?? [/quote]
Not any time in the near future. I'd be afraid that at this point we'd only be taking "it" with us, anyway. :-?

[quote]It seems you've already explored every possibility I can think of (short of calling in a HAZMAT team :-? ).

[/quote]
That actually made me perk up. HAZMAT teams are supposed to be qualified to handle anything from chemical spills to biohazards, right? Lol, it made my wheels turn for a minute.

Kat, that's kind of what I was wondering about. My vet kind of got wide eyed :o when I mentioned a dilute bleach water solution :oops: . I wonder what kind of disinfectant I can make up that might be effective and yet safe. I think I'm going to see what I can find out. At this point, when I ask questions, he's saying, "let's wait until the culture comes back."

Try Dettol maybe HF, its a little oily at full strength but works well and smells ok.

[quote]
Dettol Antiseptic Disinfectant Liquid

DETTOL Antiseptic Disinfectant Liquid is a proven safe and effective concentrated antiseptic disinfectant, that kills bacteria and provides expert protection against the germs which can cause infection and illness.

DETTOL Antiseptic Disinfectant Liquid can be used safely for gentle antiseptic wound cleansing and disinfecting. It can also be used on skin cleansing (like in the bath) and as a disinfectant in the home.

You can trust DETTOL Antiseptic Disinfectant Liquid to protect your family from germs in many uses: first aid and medical, household (nurseries, laundry, bathrooms, floors), and personal hygiene (bathing, dandruff, spots and pimples).

For first aid and personal care uses, Dettol Liquid must always be used diluted with water. Available in a wide range of sizes from 125 ml to 1 litre. DETTOL Liquid is a licensed medicine and is available in pharmacies and retail stores. Dettol Liquid contains Chloroxylenol BP.

For detailed usage instructions see back label of product. [/quote]

[url]http://www.dettol.com/sf_nursery.shtml[/url]

[quote name='courtnek']obnoxious is good when they've been sick, it will get old by tomorrow however...

[/quote]
It's getting old already. :x

Part of me wants to tell him to get somewhere and be still and the other part of me is glad to see him up and moving around. His brand of obnoxious is just being vocal. :roll:

Cautiously optimistic at this point. I'm sure we're between crises and we're still waiting for the results of that culture. :o

I'm so glad Chico is feeling much better. Now my little Peanut Poodlet has "it." :-?

She isn't acting sick and ate fine this evening, but I went to clean away what I thought was a dingleberry :oops: , and noticed blood. Now she gets to start on antibiotics. I'm just glad I noticed that before she got really sick and lethargic like the others did. :-?

Oh, good grief, puh-leeze hurry with this culture! :o