Dogomania

Newf rescue

imported_Cassie

We have just rescued 2 Newfoundland dogs this week :( My friend who breeds Newf's also does Newf rescue (as well as other breeds). One of the Newf's was in a sorry state, the breeder who sold this dog was warned not to sell to these people...but, sell she did :-? when the people first bought the pup money was great...after they had the pup for a few months the hubby lost his job....money was tight and the breeder fed the pup for the first 2 years at her expense. The people then stopped coming for food and the breeder lost contact with them. The breeder was unable to contact these people and assumed all was well.
Well, we got this poor dog back, he is now 8 years old and had been left chained in a back yard, malnourished, barely able to stand up on his own and had a maggot infestation. My friend who breeds Newf's took him right into the vet, my boss at the grooming shop cleaned him up and the vet took care of every thing else. He is going to live. What a sorry sight he is. His ears were also so infected you could not get near the dogs head without him screeching and ducking his head...of course he was never aggressive or showed his teeth...he just tried to move away as best he could without having to get up as he can not get up on his own. :( I have seen alot of sorry sights in my life, and I have seen some of the worst neglect cases and abuse cases...but, this really broke my heart. He is just so happy to see any one who comes to visit him and lays there thumping his tail.
My friend who breeds Newf's said to me today that this is one of the reasons she is so picky of who buys one of her pups. She requires 3 references and one must be from a Vet or a person who works with dogs and is well respected. She also will not sell to young families...she finds young children and teenagers take away the time that should be spent on her dogs. Hey, shes allowed to think this way :lol:
She has found in the past that people who sell a Newf to young families (there are many exceptions) have been shipped back a matted and neglected Newf...they don't have the time to spend on the dog and it starts taking a back burner. Of course this is not the case with all young families...just a few. She also will not sell a Newf to some one who is not prepared to spend appox. $100.00 every 6 weeks or so having it groomed by a professional...unless of course they come and learn how to groom a Newf properly from her the breeder. Many people think keeping on top of a Newf coat looks easy....its not.
I just had to share this as this really broke my heart. :( we have a good home lined up for this poor boy with a local vet tech. She is well aware of all of his health issues and where she works at a clinic will be able to afford to keep him on his meds etc.
The other Newf was given up by the owner as the Newf growled at her 3 year old child whom they allowed to play in the dogs food dish while it was eating :-? :o from what I have heard they allowed this child to crawl all over dog when it was eating or sleeping. Any way, we are going to do a temperment test on the dog...if it passes then it will be placed in a home with no children with experienced dog persons (close personal friends of the my friend) or the dog will be put to sleep. The tests they will put this Newf through will be extreme...a Newf should never ever show any sign of human aggression ever...not even if a child is crawling all over it.
Any way, my bit of bad news of the day.

Doesn't it just amaze you when dogs who have been abused and neglected will still be so loving to people? It just breaks my heart to hear about stories like this.

The rescue shetler where I adopted Maya and Jackie just had me fill out a one-page application and asked if I had ever been accused of animal abuse. I paid my fee and got my dogs the same day.

But the Golden Retriever rescue site where I'm trying to adopt an 8 year-old dog (Hogan), has to get your application and application fee, then have a home visit, then a meeting with the foster, etc. They're very thorough, which is good, but it's hard to wait when the dog I want it out there waiting for me!

I would rather have them be thorough to ensure that the dogs will be placed in their forever homes, and that they'll be taken care of and be happy and healthy.

Thank Dog for people like you who save these wonderful dogs!

[quote]but I cant see enforcing the every 6 weeks to the groomers thing is going to work [/quote]
She does not enforce a routine 6 week grooming with a professional:wink: if the new owners can look after the coat them selves then there is no need to have to go to a professional.
She likes potential owners to be prepared to fork out about $100.00 dollars every 6 weeks if they can't look after the dogs coat them selves. She does not lead new owners down a false trail. She tells them how much work the coat is and that they need to be groomed...if not by the owner than by a groomer...and she does not sugar coat how much the grooming will cost. They can also bring the dog back into her for grooming if they live close by. We have a few clients who really thought they could keep up with the coat at home...they end up coming in to us at the grooming shop as it is so much easier for them. Plus, its amazing how many people even after shown how to groom only brush the outer coat :-? we have had Newf's come in which look wonderful if you just sat back and looked at them....but, underneath the outer coat there lays one big mat of under coat...alot of people also miss the groin area, bum and arm pits. There are alot of Newf owners as well who like the dogs pants pretty well trimmed down to nothing...some female Newf's are famous for peeing on their pants when they are left full...they can get sticky and stinky daily. One of my girls is like this, I have to keep her pants down to a shorter length as she gets pretty pissy after just one day...it was murder when she was being shown and had to be left in coat :-?

My friend is keeping these 2 Newf's at her kennel at this point. The Newf which was left tied in the back yard was seized by the SPCA...I think I forgot to mention this. I am unsure if charges are pending against the owners. Lets just thank some nosey neighbors for reporting these people...although it would have been nice if they had reported them a little earlier...but, possibly they were unsure of just how bad the situation was.
One last thing, this is hitting me really hard as my friend told me that this dog which is in such bad shape is the son of my old Newf Solo (the Newf who died of bone cancer) I see so much of Solo in this poor Newf...a little bit of his personality is there. I guess this brings back all of my old feelings of feeling powerless against a situation I could not fix.
Today they are going to see if they can put the dog under and flush its ears. They are also going to do x-rays to see if he has a spinal problem or what is going on with his rear end.
It will take awhile, but, he will get better...I am sure of it. He has lots of spirit and will to live. The vet tech who will be taking him rescues other dogs as well (usually hard luck cases) so the Newf will be in capable hands. If he didn't already have a home lined up the breeder would have kept him. The vet tech had met the Newf before he came to our kennel...he had been held at a local vet clinic where the SPCA makes drop offs. The SPCA had gotten in touch with the local Newfoundland dog rescue (which is my friend) so now the dog is the responsibility of the rescue group.
My friend is pretty good at getting all kinds of support and funds into her rescue group so there is all kinds of money to look after these cases. :wink:

normally i try not to read the posts like this because it really burns me up that some people are such an utter waste of genetic material. i don't understand how any person can mistreat an animal. it totally bogles my mind and makes me want to hurt them :evil: i say do unto them what they have done unto the animal! tie them to a tree, barely feed them, no human contact, no baths/grooming. i have very wicked views of how these people who abuse animals should be handled.

thank goodness these 2 were saved!

[quote]The reason it's so expensive for a newf is because of the brushing out of the undercoat. If people don't take the time at least once a week to brush it out, it can really get out of control. It's worse during shedding season. A newf also takes longer to wash and blow dry. Since a newf's coat is so dense and built to keep the undercoat dry while the dog is in water, it takes longer to get the undercoat wet[/quote]
[b]quote by newfiemom[/b]
Exactly :wink:
There is alot more involved with grooming a Newf than grooming a Standard poodle...we put through alot of Standards in long trims which do not take all that long and are half the work. :wink:
It takes a long time to get a Newf completely dry, and you need to get them 110% dry for the undercoat to start blowing out with the high velocity dryer. When we book in a Newf we have them dropped off in the morning, we bath them, zap with a high velocity, then we put them under a big dryer in a large kennel. We then put them up on the table again and dry some more for a couple of hours...when you have 2 people drying it can cut down on the time. Then after the dog is completely dry my boss will then brush the dog completley out (we help) then we comb them completely out. Then she trims up their feet, pants, under carraige etc. You consider the groomer is paying each bath/blowdryer $10.50 an hour (at the facility I work at) and I spend about 5 solid hours on it, then she puts in a couple of hours on the dog herself...thats alot of labour.

We charge about $35.00 - $60.00 for a Standard poodle (depending on the shape and what kind of trim they want the poodle in)
Standard poodles do not have a double coat and are pretty quick (compared to a Newf) to blow out completely and put in a nice trim. :wink:
At the grooming shop I work at we charge $60.00 and up for a Newf..this depends on how much coat the dog carries, what kind of shape its in etc. If the dog is in bad shape, or has a few mats etc. then the price goes up accordingly...we give an estimate when the owner drops the dog off.

The groomer I work for learned a long time ago that you cannot just have a base price for each breed...the price needs to go up or down depending on the shape of the dog. If the owners keep the dog in good shape, or if they come in regular, my boss gives them really awesome breaks. She has a few Newfs which come in for baths where she only charges $40.00 as they are in wonderful shape. Kind of a "good" care giver/owner discount. :lol: :wink:

Just to update, the Newf which growled at the child while eating its food...the Newf is being put down tomarrow :( my friend who breeds Newfs gave the dog a chance to settle in etc. she had the dog growl at her a couple of times around food...she is not taking any chances, this is very abnormal behavior for a Newf. we all know its the fact that the dog was basically teased by the child (or mauled by the child) but, even so my friend is not taking any chances. I can't blame her for her decision. :( I would take the dog and try to work with it, but, I just have too much going on right now...and my boys may not appreciate another male (especially on as dominant as this one) to come into my home.

[quote]But the Golden Retriever rescue site where I'm trying to adopt an 8 year-old dog (Hogan), has to get your application and application fee, then have a home visit, then a meeting with the foster, etc. They're very thorough, which is good, but it's hard to wait when the dog I want it out there waiting for me!

I would rather have them be thorough to ensure that the dogs will be placed in their forever homes, and that they'll be taken care of and be happy and healthy.[/quote]
JackieMaya, I completely agree with you. I think if more adoption agencys took more time to throughly investigate the new potential owners there would be less abuse cases. Although this is some thing which would be almost impossible to do with a high volume animal shelter...
A breed rescue can put the time and trouble into placing a dog or pup into a forever home. I think its wonderful that organization you are adopting from is being complete...they sound great :wink:

[quote]Doesn't it just amaze you when dogs who have been abused and neglected will still be so loving to people? It just breaks my heart to hear about stories like this.[/quote]
It is amazing and its so unbelievable to think that after being abused they still don't lose their spirit or will to live. I have seen the worst abuse cases where dogs and puppies have been beat, tied and left for dead in the woods, clubbed over the head and left for dead etc. and these dogs are still so trusting and loving. I think they just so desperately want to be loved and to belong as they know it can happen with the right owner :wink: . The other thing which amazes me is that some of my best and most loyal dogs have been from neglectful homes. Its almost as if they always remember the day when they had a horrible life and they appreciate their new life so much more because of it :(