Dogomania

Is my dog pregnant?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

[/b] We have two dogs in our house, One male and One female. The past few weeks, Our male dog has been very defensive of our female dog. He is never usually like this. He has been very on edge and protective he will not leave her alone in a different room...He constatly has to be near her or by her. If anyone that goes to close to her he growls, whines, nips, and sometimes bites them. Our female, on the other hand, is showing possible sighns of pregnancy. Her nipples are getting large and hard..one is quite larger than all of the others. Her vulva is also very swollen. She also has a clear discharge with a oink tint to it...Could someone tell me what's going on?

He's a quick question ....... has your female been bred?

You also should take her to vet for a sonogram or x ray. That will tell you for sure if she is pregnant.

I have to think if you are asking this question that this breeding was not planned.

A male should not act more protective of a pregnant female. Most females don't want to be bothered with the male if they are pregnant.

Guest Anonymous

thanks for the reply. No breeding was not planned...Female dog does growl alot and gets aggrivated when male dog won't leave her alone....he keeps smelling her rear...that's when she gets mad the most.

Guest Anonymous

Thanks for your reply as well. My female dog was fixed but she has gotten pregnant before AFTER we got her fixed...why I am not sure. But we did take her to the vet to get her fixed.

Guest Anonymous

thanks for your reply as well. Our female dog WAS fixed. BUT she has somehow gotten pregnant before SINCE she has been fixed...This I do not understand...

[quote]Thanks for your reply as well. My female dog was fixed but she has gotten pregnant before AFTER we got her fixed...why I am not sure. But we did take her to the vet to get her fixed.[/quote]

Then your vet took your money! There is NO way a spayed dog will get pregnant. I'd check into this if I were you and find out why your vet charged you to spay a dog that he didn't perform the surgery on! Good luck!

Debby

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='scotty_lvr']OR...she is in heat...or going into heat...and if she hasnt been fixed and isn't prego yet...then she will soon be unless you act fast!![/quote]

Exactly. It sounds like this bitch is in season. She needs to go to the vet NOW (not the same vet who lied and claimed to have spayed her, of course) and get spayed. She will be pregnant within fifteen days if she isn't already pregnant. Getting spayed now will solve the problem.

primrose

[quote name='primorse...']

Exactly. It sounds like this bitch is in season. She needs to go to the vet NOW (not the same vet who lied and claimed to have spayed her, of course) and get spayed. She will be pregnant within fifteen days if she isn't already pregnant. Getting spayed now will solve the problem.

primrose[/quote]

Dogs can be spayed and still go into heat. Sometimes a small amount of ovarian tissue is left behind. Even a small amount left behind can cause the dog to cycle like an intact bitch. But, obviously they cannot become pregnant, as they have no uterus.

a true "spay" is a complete hysterectomy. removoval of all the sexual organs. gone. surgery. I have heard of some vets giving tubal ligations instead, because it's cheaper, but it's not a true spay and the dog could still get pregnant. Happens with people too. I would find out what the vet charged you. and exactly what he did.

either you have a very incompetent vet or your bitch wasn't spayed at the right time. Spaying a bitch in season or just after they come out of/into season can produce false follicular heats or pseudo-pregnancies. Either way you need to get your vet to assess your bitch and ensure that she isn't pregnant via examination/ultra-sound. Also if your male isn't neutered then really you should have him done asap to avoid not only unwanted puppies and male behaviour, but also more serious health risks like testicular and prostate cancers.

good luck and keep us posted on how things progress :wink: