Dogomania

Speaking of "bad" dogs...

My little Devin is miserable :oops: . For anyone who's curious (some of you already know), the reason I titled it "bad" dog is that Devin has "issues" :oops: . Geez, he was placed into five different homes by the time he was ever a year old (some of you remember where he got away from a guy once and was missing for two days while I had myself tied up in knots about it). I fostered him and placed him twice, myself, and he was the only foster failure I ever had. :-?

Devin is screwed up as a can of worms. His hips are baaaaaaaaaaad (as in NO hip sockets at all), his knees are bad, his skin is bad (he's apparently allergic to, geez, everything?), we believe he is developing back problems, there's the aforementioned temperament problems (actually, he's doing wonderfully there... we found that a lot of his rotten disposition was because he was in so much freaking pain because he is REALLY much more "cranky" when he's obviously hurting), he has stomach problems with constant bouts of diarrhea and vomiting and who knows what all else is wrong with him that we haven't even discovered yet? Devin is only 1 1/2 years old :-? .

He's having a really bad time right now. He seems to be in soooooo much pain and his skin is giving him fits. It's feast or famine with him. Some days are just better than others. We had him on cyclosporine and then Atopica for his allergies, but he stayed sick all the time at the dose that got him any relief for the itching. We had to discontinue that and he's taking Temaril instead, which I LOATHE the longterm use of, but I can't very well just let him tear himself to shreds. We tried to natural diet him, but even bland chicken and rice upset his stomach and he kept the squirts. We tried supplements, NO supplements and even when we did it despite the diarrhea (hoping it would *ahem* pass), it didn't help his itching, anyway. Once he is on a food that he tolerates, we just leave him strictly on it with no variance at all except he does get glucosamine/msm because he tolerates it well. No snacks, no nothing. What a perfectly boring existence for him, I suppose. :(

He's taking Adequan injections for his hips and it does help some. He'll have another injection tomorrow and I hope that buys him some more relief for a minute or two. They do help, but it seems to be less and less effective as I'm pretty sure his joint problems and back are probably going to get worse and worse. I'm so upset seeing him so miserable, I could just cry. I feel so helpless. He's had his itch pill for tonight and I treated for fleas even though I didn't see any (he had a Capstar AND Advantage). I don't know what else to do. All I can do is sit here and watch my boy tear himself to shreds scratching and then limp away when he's done. I knew he was feeling bad when we went to visit his best friend Fifty the other day and he wouldn't be bothered with him. That's NOT Devin. No playing, no nothing but panting, scratching and trying to catch a nap in between.

I'm not really seeking advice (though I certainly wouldn't refuse any). I reckon I just really wanted to whine. He is such a cool little dog, usually so bubbly and fun, and my heart just breaks not knowing what to do to help him. :(
[img]http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0XwCpApUer!OU2yctCMP0hPsgg90q2rZ8qQmVmwmOyPQHoitSKYPSJOYN!jqCOMrYFWhHG1KXks3NODx3VkTJknRdDHPykfw5gWZJz08qTzDe5a*2jg907KM0JTglsji1U9EMocWikIU/Devin%20aww.jpg?dc=4675446487304893809[/img]

Courtnek, I'm not going to slam you at all. I actually thought the same thing, but more of an "eventually" kind of thing. He is just so young. I don't know what all other problems are going to pop up (I know there's no way we can have discovered them all and I'm sure more things will crop up as he gets older), but I'm just not ready to consider it yet. I want to believe there's something I'm missing, or that at some time I'm going to discover just exactly what it is that's going to help, if at least for a little while. I'm already certain that he's not going to be able to enjoy the same lifespan that most other dogs would. Devin is just a dog that should never have been born. I get so upset when I think about it. I groom his littermate that was kicked out of another groom shop (was mean as mean could be, but in fairness, this other groomer is not well reknowned for her patience and handling skills), but I took him on because, well, it was Devin's brother :oops: . Anyway, this dog also has a lot of the same problems Devin has. I just want to contact the people breeding these dogs and give them an earful :x .

I'm also thinking he's going to develop a seizure problem as he gets older. Call it a funny feeling, but he already has these "episodes." I've been through that with two other dogs and in each one, it was a precursor to full blown seizures. It hasn't happened yet, but I'm expecting it.

I'm sure the day will come when we might have to consider letting him go, but at this point, we are just dealing with the good day/bad day thing. I believe there HAS to be something I can do that's going to help. I just haven't discovered it yet. Maybe my head is just stuck in the sand. :(

HF, I'm so sorry he's not doing well, it's hard to see them like that when you have put in so much time and care into a pup like Devin :( . The only thing I can suggest is to try the homeopathic route and a completely raw diet. I've done raw diets for dogs similar to Devin (skin problems, digestion problems, the whole nine yards :o ) and have had great success with 6 out of 8 of them. If you want to give raw a try, I can give you a menu to start him off on, just give me his weight.
Outside of that, I kind of have to agree with Courtnek, if his quality of life is so that he won't play or can't eat a meal without it sliding through him, it may be time :( , but only you can make that decision, and whatever that decision is, you have my unconditional support.

there are no "heads in the sand"....people know their dogs. Dogs know their people. when you decide, that will be the time. believe me, you will both know.. it only requires the choice...the dog will tell you. all you have to do is understand....

:fadein:

[quote name='Lokipups']The only thing I can suggest is to try the homeopathic route and a completely raw diet. I've done raw diets for dogs similar to Devin (skin problems, digestion problems, the whole nine yards :o ) and have had great success with 6 out of 8 of them. If you want to give raw a try, I can give you a menu to start him off on, just give me his weight.[/quote]

I'm reallllllllllllllly scared to try a raw diet again. I did it once several years ago with another allergy dog and it didn't go too well. Even taking that out of consideration, the thing that really worries me about Devin is that he is soooo easy to get sick. I've had pretty good luck giving my dogs (not solely) homecooked foods. The rest of my gang can eat pretty much anything. I took Devin off kibble completely and tried him on solely homecooked. For a while when he developed diarrhea, I took away everything and just gave him bland chicken with rice. He couldn't even keep that on his stomach. I know I sound unappreciative, or like I'm scoffing. I swear, I'm really not. It's sounds so weird to say I'll try ANYTHING that will help, but at the same time I'm scared to try ANYTHING. I never know what's going to trigger another bout of diarrhea and vomiting. I do appreciate the offer of help, though. I honestly do. I suppose before I ever reach the point of actually considering letting him go, I'll certainly try raw or anything else that might help. I do try to keep an open mind despite my previous bad experience, but sometimes it's hard. :oops:

[quote name='cheekymunkee']Snuggle him for me.[/quote]
Signed, sealed and delivered. :wink:

Devin is my little velcro dog. Along with Peanut, Devin goes with me just about everywhere I go. He really is my little love. Right now, there are still more good days than bad. It's just that the bad days are getting REALLY bad.

Thanks, all. :angel:

Guest Anonymous

HF i'm sorry to hear about little Devin. i remeber when he ran away..
it's so sad to hear about all his pain.. don't you think maybe it's time to end his suffering? i mean won't it only get worse and he's not even two yet ?? :( :( that is so sad

HF I'm so sorry. :( Poor little guy. Honestly I had the same thought as Court when I read your post, but it's your decision and you know what is best for him. Have you tried a Holistic vet? Accupuncture(sp?)? I realy don't know what to suggest. :-?

Give Devin a little hug and kiss for me.

Guest Anonymous

So sorry. Acupuncture might be an option for the pain, especially since it is coming from so many sources. I am the most skeptical person in the world, but was convinced to try acupuncture on a dog with otherwise escalating neck pain, and it seemed (of course, it could have been coincidence) to work wonders.

Who bred this poor little guy? What is his history before you got him?

primrose

I think you are tackling it the best way hun,obviously the best you can do is manage his problems,you don't even want to get me started on bad breeding,you know I've been there :(

As everyone has said you will know when the bad days outweigh the good that you have to make choices for him......it's so sad, and I wish I had an answer for you (((hug)))

What a pity that this poor little guy has had so much trauma already. However his young age does give me some hope that there might be a chance for a happy ending. I'm a newbie here, so I don't have all the history.

I'm prone to suggest a more holistic approach myself. I take my animals to a holistic pet centre where the vets are certified in alternative therapies for pets. I think any such therapy does have to be used for a certain length of time, even a raw diet, sometimes results might take 4-6 months or even a year depending on how much toxins are in the dog's system and how quickly they are capable of disposing them.

I can understand the paralysing fear of wanting to try new therapies, but worried it might cause a greater reaction. A suggestion I have is to develop a game plan. If you're going to chose alternative practices, talk to various vets, and work out how long you're willing to do so before going in. This of your goals, possible consequences, reactions, outbreaks, going off some medications, going on others etc etc. Likewise with conventional methods. At least then you can be better prepared emotionally for the possible strain or success you might have.

Anyhow, just an early morning suggestion. I'm sorry your Devin is having such a rough time. :(

:cry: HF I am sorry that Devin's quality of life seems to be declining. Only you know what is best for him and all I can say is that I support whatever route you take. :) He is such a cutie though :angel:

BYBers who may be lurking take note: Devin is a (sadly) good example of why indiscriminate breeding sucks.

actually, K's suggestion is a good one. Oatmeal is very soothing to itchy skin. that wont take care of all of it, of course, but might help the itching at least. My vet gave me a drug called Atarax (it's a people skin allergy drug too. I laughed when she prescribed it because I was on it) that worked wonders for Jarvis. He had seasonal allergies and would chew his legs to pieces. as far as food, will rice stay down? or cheese? in some cases both are "binding"....(you dont want to know how I know that - :lol: ) plain cottage cheese and cooked white rice is usually very mild on the stomach.

now please, dont everyone go ballistic, but my cat cant keep anything down but Iams. Maybe give that a try?

**big hugs for cute little Devin***

:angel:

[quote name='courtnek'] plain cottage cheese and cooked white rice is usually very mild on the stomach.

[/quote]

Ya know... you are the second person to suggest that. What's funny is that just as I was reading your reply, I had some rice simmering on the stove. Great minds, aye? 8)

Today wasn't any better for Devin. I took him to work with me and gave him a really good bath and blowdry and really examined his skin closely. It's so red and raw and hot to the touch. I doubled the dose (for now) of Temaril just to give his skin some relief until I can figure out what else to do. The medicine makes him want to sleep, but it's the only relief he got from scratching. I'm effectively keeping him sedated to keep him from scratching. :-?

He did get the Adequan injection today. I don't know yet if his hips feel any better because he's still mostly sleeping (when he's not scratching). I'll be able to tell better tomorrow. He grumbled at the vet today when he went to give him the shot... something Devin NEVER does (to the vet, anyway... he LOVES the vet, the weirdo :roll: ). He's just so miserable. Today wasn't any better than the last several days, but maybe by tomorrow he'll be feeling better.

We're a long way from giving up. I'm very optimistic that we're going to find a way to at least help keep him more comfortable. The good days still outnumber the bad, so...

Thanks for the support. 8)

did you ask the vet about Atarax? It's a antihistamine (I think) but specific for skin alleriges. Jarvis was literally chewing his feet and legs apart, hot skin, open bleeding sores....this really worked for him. it woked for me too.
I developed an allergy to my pork insulin. To this day, I cant eat pork in any form. Hives, rashes, etc. the Atarax brought me more relief than any amount of baths, benadryl and allergy shots...

best of luck for poor Devin. and please!! HF!! dont think I expected you to slam me. I didnt. But that advice is often badly taken. I was just prepared
for the backlash, if there was one.....I was accepting if you did so.

Sometimes you just gotta vent. Even against the people who care...

and I CARE!

:D