Dogomania

question about Bichon Frise?

courtnek

temperament?

I read up on them, a friend has one and is having issues with him. The dog snaps and growls at the two youngest daughters, but accepts the son
and dad and mom fine.

I looked them up and it said

Gentle mannered, sensitive, playful and affectionate. A cheerful attitude is the hallmark of the breed and one should settle for nothing less.

this dog isnt cutting those traits. But since I'm not familiar with the dog at all, before I go into lecture mode on dominance breaking, can anyone tell me about them? It's a lap dog, I know...but that's about ALL I know about it....

thanks!!

:D

thanks Divine....I'll wait for more info first. I prefer to know something about the dog before I make suggestions in a case like this... :D

Malamum, the girls are about 4 and 5 years younger than the son. The lady did not go into specifics (I wanted some info first) but said that the dog is just "nasty" to the girls....Dont know yet if the girls are teasing it, or what. Once I got a general overview of the dog itself, I was going to ask more specific questions. I dont like to answer questions like that without knowing something about the dog first...

I dont like to give bad advice, especially where a dog is concerned...they can bite 5 times faster than we can pull away....

Especially since I kinbow nothing about the dog. If it was a Shepherd, or Lab, or Dobe, I could ask for body language and stuff, but I know nothing about this dog, That's why I asked.

Thanks.

The Bichons I've known have been pretty good natured dogs. I have one lone Bichon client that bit his owner to the bone once. It turned out that the dog's vision and hearing are failing and he was in some pain. He's pretty old. Even this dog has always been happy and easygoing, so it was way out of character for him to bite anyone.

Court, I don't know anything about the dog your talking about in particular, but it could be just a poorly bred Bichon. As with any breed that becomes popular, temperament often takes a back seat to a quick buck, so you see a lot more dogs with the atypical (for the breed) poor temperaments.

I think it'll be important to learn a bit more before knowing which way to go with this dog. It's hard to know whether the girls have tormented the dog, or if the dog is just rotten, or what's going on. Bichons shouldn't be bad tempered, but some of them don't read the book.

I know none of this has been particularly helpful, but good luck, anyway.

actually HF it's been VERY helpful...Having a Lab mix with pratically NO normal Lab characteristics, I always check first. I know each dog is an individual, I always try to find out as much as I can before I advise. And I dont trust the AKC ratings...they all say Labs are wonderful....mine isnt.
But a general overview always helps. Some dogs are just not good with kids, genetically, some are more prone to dominance issues than others.
I realize they are all different, but I needed a place to start. Thanks. I have a place to start now, and I will go with Divine's advice on training out the dominance issue. If the dog is generally easy going, then dominance is easy to train out. If not, it can be an issue. This person is not dog saavy, and thats another reason I wanted to check the dogs general characterisitcs before advising. Thanks, everyone!!

:D

Another train of thought, small dogs can actually have more dominant traits than a large dog, simply because it gets away with behavior that we would never allow in a large dog. I tell my clients the same thing, "Don't allow your lapdog to do anything you wouldn't allow your big dog to do.". Dominance problems in small dogs can be curbed and controlled by using NILIF and obed training just like their larger bretheren :wink: .

[quote]Another train of thought, small dogs can actually have more dominant traits than a large dog, simply because it gets away with behavior that we would never allow in a large dog.[/quote]

ya got THAT right...the two Chi's next door are spoiled to the point of threatening my 60 and 70 lb. dogs,,,thru the FENCE...

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Bichons that I have come across are smart. They are actually a smart breed though I have to confess I don't have any affliction for small dogs in general really. Due to their ability to work out a situation they can be very manipulative and need a firm control. They are not a great pet for young children from what I have encountered and are more for older people who don't have too many other dogs. Preferably bichons like being top dog on their own.

Lokipups you took the words right out of my mouth :lol: :wink:

[quote]Another train of thought, small dogs can actually have more dominant traits than a large dog, simply because it gets away with behavior that we would never allow in a large dog. I tell my clients the same thing, "Don't allow your lapdog to do anything you wouldn't allow your big dog to do.". Dominance problems in small dogs can be curbed and controlled by using NILIF and obed training just like their larger bretheren [/quote].

Working with dogs 7 days a week in a boarding and grooming athmosphere I can confirm that what Lokipups said to be the main problem with our small breed dogs. We groom alot of Bichon's, some have very happy personalities and some have been allowed to get away with every thing and have become spoiled by the owner...with these dogs its hard to work with them and they become a menace at home...one Bichon had corned its owner. We have advised the owners about the NILIF program and this has worked wonders for them and their small companions. We have seen wonderful results with our clients...and the best thing is, all dogs can benefit with the NILIF...the most important training rule with the NILIF is that ALL members of the family have to participate.
Alot of times with our dogs it depends greatly in the athmosphere they grow up in. A breeder can only do so much...the rest of the developmental period depends on the new home, training etc.

[quote name='Lokipups']Another train of thought, small dogs can actually have more dominant traits than a large dog, simply because it gets away with behavior that we would never allow in a large dog. I tell my clients the same thing, "Don't allow your lapdog to do anything you wouldn't allow your big dog to do.". Dominance problems in small dogs can be curbed and controlled by using NILIF and obed training just like their larger bretheren :wink: .[/quote]

and this was generally right on the mark. It is an issue with a small dog with a big head...the older brother, dad and mom spoil him, he has moved himself up above the girls in the hiearchy....I went to see them this morning. The dog was very pleasant and friendly to me. Tried to jump into my lap, and I wouldnt let him (part of the "breaking" process) and he sulked!!! he is used to getting his own way, obviously. The girls, on the other hand, are afraid of him, because they are young (5 and 6) and since he snapped, they wont go near him, which is just increasing his feeling he
is dominant over them. I snapped him to my belt with a short leash, and ran him through a small obedience course. He is in obedience training at least. Once done, I rewarded him by letting him spend 3 minutes in my lap, then made him get off (he wont accept treats as rewards...he wants laps and petting) and went through the whole thing again. I then had the girls approach him, take his leash, and do the same thing. At first they were afraid and he was resistant, but while I stood there and corrected him
he learned that if he obeyed the girls as well, I would let him sit in my lap for a few minutes. We did this for 3 hours. At the end, he was much better (although still somewhat reisitant, but not snapping at least) and he actually reared up and licked one of the girls with his front paws in her lap.

So I'll go there again tomorrow morning, and work with them. My problem is the mom....she resists everything I do, saying "he just wants you to LOVE him, why are you being so hard?" **sigh** until I finally snapped and said BECAUSE I DONT WANT HIM TO BITE YOUR DAUGHTERS.....
AND THAT'S A REAL POSSIBILITY!!!

At that point, dad and brother stepped up and took care of mom's interference, they both agree with me (thank God). So I think in a few weeks we'll have this under control.

:agrue:

[quote]My problem is the mom....she resists everything I do, saying "he just wants you to LOVE him, why are you being so hard?"[/quote]
Training the dog is a piece of cake, it's the owners who'll give you the most grief :roll:.
And Courtnek, you'll be able to correct him a lot faster and see results immediately because you're not a pack member, he won't challenge you :) , I'd make book on it.

sorry, I'm getting behind here. I went there Sunday morning, as promised, and the dog (his name is Wyatt) was very subservient to me. He didnt ask to get in my lap, he sat and laid down on command, and the girls both approached him and petted him, no issues. Mom tried to interfere, saying I was breaking his spirit (although he'll jump into moms, dads and brothers lap at every opportunity) but he knew already he had to earn it from me. NILIF... I am very impressed with his intelligence...he is a smart cookie, no doubt...and he learns fast. I didnt even bother to do MY run with him, since he has already proved he understands MY viewpoint, but set him up immediately witht he girls, who are getting more confident now. They took his leash and ran him through his paces. He was much more docile to them. There was a couple incidents, when they told him to lay down And he wouldnt, where I stepped in, but other than that they ran the whole show...

The really FUNNY part, at the end of the day? Mom was still griping, so I handed HER the leash and said "YOU do this..." and HE WOULDNT LISTEN....

He didnt snap at her, just outright refused and laid down. I then walked her through the whole procedure, and informned her that if he got TOO far above himself, he would snap at her as well. I think she finally gets it now...

the girls were giggling in the background, and husband and son left the room, with smiles on their faces. He responds perfectly well to them.

so maybe this is a win/win....I told them to call me with issues, but the girls now realize what needs to be done and are comfortable with it.
Just a little discipline...I worry about people like that raising kids...

:lol: :lol: :lol: