Dogomania

"Leave It" Command Gone Wrong

DogPaddle

Kavik has always been pretty good with leave it but we have done extensive work on it because of Zaphod and his compulsive eating. Kavik is no very good with pretty much everything, he will not eat most things unless invited, even unattended plates of meat are pretty much safe around him. However, now Kavik must be told "Eat your dinner" when I put down his food, otherwise he looks at me like - "Is it OK?" :-? I wonder how many times I will say this in the course of his life - 2x a day, 365 days a year, at least another 11 years - that's over 8000 times. :lol:
He is such a serious, little worrier, always very eager to please and very concerned about trying to understand what I want - do think doggies suffer from stress over these things? :D

Kavik is displaying manners of a well trained and well behaved dog :wink: alot of people could only dream about having such a well mannered dog. Basically when you train the "nothing is free in life" the dog will wait to be told its ok before grabbing at items, or going out doors, or enticing play etc. As for suffering from stress over this...no, Kavik knows the boundries in his house hold...if any thing Kavik would be happy...a dog which gets stressed out is the dog which is spoiled and has no rules...they don't know how to react in situations....some times they can grab a food item and its ok, the next time the owner yells...how could a dog feel comfortable when it doesnt have any structure or rules...the dog would be very stressed and confused...then it becomes a problem...

I remember one time we were at my aunt and uncle's for Thanksgiving and we were feeding Lucky so my uncle went outside and added a few pieces of turkey to his dinner and Lucky just sat there drooling. Well my uncle thought that was weird so came in and had to ask "Whats wrong with your dog he dosen't like turkey?" And I just laughed and stuck my head out to poor Luck who now had a puddle by his paws and told him it was okay. I just thought it was normal to teach them to wait before, but my uncle who's had many dogs in the past looked amazed.

Good for you for teaching that it might come in handy some day.

[quote]she will bounce you and try to knock the food out of the bowl in an effort to get at it.[/quote]
Ah well, that would be Zaphod. He bounces and twirls and barks and nudges my arm (while I'm pouring a scoop sometimes.) :roll: I can get him to stay and leave it if I am very firm when I begin pouring and when I finish but he prances and looks from me to the bowl with a look that plainly says - you can't possibly make me wait much longer - I'm starrrrrving!

[quote]looks from me to the bowl with a look that plainly says - you can't possibly make me wait much longer - I'm starrrrrving![/quote]

:rofl:

I've seen that look. Every morning when Felix gets his breakfast. LOL He gets more frantic when Kristopher (my 5yr old) feeds.

:rofl:

Amanda

[quote]a dog which gets stressed out is the dog which is spoiled and has no rules...they don't know how to react in situations....[/quote]

this is very very true!!! The spoiled dogs are actually not as happy as the trained, well behaved ones. "Bad" dogs cause stress for their owners, which they can sense, which stresses them out and makes everyone unhappy.

And Lucky is also very correct. A dog properly trained to not eat until told will have a much lesser chance of ever being poisoned by a malicious neighbor, or eat antifreeze, etc...

Good Dog!

:D

Very good training. 8)

Mine are trained to leave it until I give the ok, but they are all like coiled springs. I certainly don't have to cajole them into eating. They sit there intent and just waiting for the slightest hint that I'm going to give the ok. Then the coiled springs just sproing into action. Actually, I could set a bowl of food down and put nearly any of them into a sit/stay and walk out of the room and trust them to leave it until I got back except Pauly. So far, he's gotten the "sit" part down, but he thinks "stay" means just until I'm not looking or I'm out of reach (to be able to snatch the bowl up). That dog always acts like he's starving right to death. I never feed him without a leash on him as I want him to be able to leave a bowl in mid gulp when I tell him and go back when I release. The leash just gives me a bit more control. He's not quite getting the idea. :-?

You should be proud of your well behaved feller.

Thanks

I wish I could say it was me but its not. Kavik is just very eager to please, sensitive and smart. He pick things up. When I took him to the dog park some guy was really impressed with his retreiving but in truth I didn't really teach him much, he just knows that the only way to get me to throw something again is to bring it back. Pretty much anyone could do well training Kavik. Zaphod on the other hand . . . he is so enthusiastic, active and unfocused he is difficult to train - still a puppy really. In part the problem is that he is so cute, enthusiastic and snuggly that its hard to be firm with him. Fortunately having Kavik around as an example helps.