Dogomania

Americans and dog crates.

Guida

"liberal Democracy" was a term used for the US 150 years or so ago, in the time of the early presidents. When our politics broke into two parties, republican and democratic, the term was no longer used and we became
a Federal Republic. Some countries still use the term to describe their own governments. It basically means the same thing. A democracy where people are supposed to be taken as individuals, and all people entitled to the same rights, whether rich, poor, or otherwise.

As for Guida...
she apparently doesnt like us much, and has made a point of pointing that out. I no longer intend to reply to this thread. It's a waste of time. Myself and many others tried to be reasonable and answer her questions.

Here, Guida, we agree (for the most part) to diagree, and we dont bash each other when our opinions differ. And Yes, I am an American and proud of it. Our government is by no means perfect, but it's pretty damn good with all it's flaws. And we are the most giving country in the world,
something you should remember if a disaster ever strikes your country.
Who do you suppose would be the first to send the Red Cross, Government Aid and millions of dollars to bail you out????

If you want to stay here and talk, I suggest you chill out. Otherwise, there's the door.....

:evil:

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guida aside I find this threads original topic interesting, I like seeing differring methods.
SRC wrote:
[quote]I just take everything up off the bathroom floor, put the toilet paper in teh cabinet (I removed the holder), and close the linen closet door. I don't have anything sitting on the counters..so he can't get into anything...I even had glass doors installed so there was no shower curtain. The bathroom isn't large though..it's my guest bathroom. So it's not "much" larger then a crate(this is in relation to his size mind you and the florr plan of the room)...but large enough he can move around a bit. [/quote]
I can understand having a problem crating larger dogs - it must be difficult finding a large enough crate. I crate trained all mine but did use a larger crate than is usually suggested - I was quite prepared to section it off if it became nec. but it never was. I liked having them have a bit of extra room. My brother once thought he'd give Kavik more room and shut him in the bathroom while he went out. He put things up etc. but it didn't work. Kavik must have worked at the door the entire time he was out - I came home to find him quite distressed. I think it was because he wasn't in his place/den/crate and because his crate was a wire crate on the main floor where he could see everything. Every dog is different.

Guest Anonymous

[quote]Crist! Didn't you went to school?[/quote]

I'm so not touching that one... Although I laughed so hard :lol: Sorry... *crawls away to try and be nice again*

I totally regret writing my post and even posting some links... I can only pray someone who needs the info will find it :roll:

I did see one that was at least 4 1/2 feet tall and 4 feet wide and 6 feet long - more like an indoor dog run. Maybe it was for multiple dogs, it come with its own sectioning off panel - it was very spiffy but it was $339. My large one was only $90 and it would fit two grown medium-large size dogs. The massive one I have only seen once and I had to do some looking to find my large one but they are out there if you need them.

[quote]The North American political regime is called Demo Liberal [/quote]

um, hi. north america is a continent. there is no prevailing "regime" that rules over canada, the u.s., mexico and latin america. if you're going to be insulting, at least know the proper name of what you want to insult. (it's the united states, in case you didn't know)

on a seperate, but related note: i'm not entirely sure why we are still expected to respond to this posters remarks in a respectful and helpful manner. if she was simply misinformed or held a different opinion, then yes, we should be respectful. this person however, is being purposefully difficult and insulting and does not deserve courtesy.

[quote]And I don't care if they are all Pits or Rotties. Any breed can be good or bad!!![/quote]

no one is saying these breeds are bad. most pit owners however, need to take extra precautions because of their tendency for dog aggression. leaving multiple pits together unattended could easily result in an injured or even dead dog.

Guest Mutts4Me

I feel bad, because I'm not sure if this constant slamming of America is actually intentional or accidental, and I'm not sure to be angry or laugh. It's a strange feeling.

First off, I agree with Kat that everyone's being way too harsh and defensive about the Crate thing. If I had just now discovered that it was a common practice in one specific country to do something to their dogs that I'd never imagined could be done before, I'd be upset, too. Say I find that in Country X, all dogs are made to wear muzzles outside the house. So that they didn't bite anyone, provoked or not, and so they didn't get into anything they weren't supposed to, and so they didn't get into fights. I'd freak out, wouldn't you? So here's someone who's never heard of caging dogs except perhaps at the pound, vet, or stores. And she just now found out that many people in America keep their dogs in cages for several hours at a time, and she freaked out. I think she's allowed that shock.

I don't crate my dog, and I shudder at the thought of it. But I understand that if she'd been raised that way from puppyhood, it might be different. But the thought of me sticking my 7 year old dog in a cage disturbs me. I don't like dogs in cages, but I do understand their use. And I realize that if I ever get a pit bull, as I intend to do, I will have to crate train it for its own safety, and the safety of any other pets I may have. But for now, I'm very satisfied having my dog roam freely about the house, as she's accustomed to doing.

I still feel pain now and then when I remember my neighbor's house burning down in the middle of the night. They weren't home, and when I woke up and discovered the house was burning, I started wailing about Nakita, their American Eskimo dog, who I loved like my own dog (I didn't have my own dog at that time and was very attached the the neighborhood dogs, especially Nakita). My mom said they'd opened the door for her, but she hadn't come out. I was bawling and told her that Nakita was kept in a cage in the kitchen. She went out to tell the firemen, but they weren't able to save her.

All that said, I think that Guida's posts could have been a bit more tactful, so that people didn't feel attacked like that, though I do understand her shock.

But like everyone else, I don't appreciate the attack on America itself. I don't care if you want to call it a Liberal Democracy or a Federal Republic, but to blatantly say it's NOT a Democracy, and to call it a... what was it? "Demo Liberal Regime"?? ... and then call us stupid for not knowing what the heck you're talking about? That's crossing the line. I've never heard the term Demo Liberal Regime in my life, and I have a college degree with a cognant in American History. And in case you weren't aware, the term "regime" has a pretty negative connotation over here. I hear that and think fascism or something :-?

**edit. Above, I am not comparing crating your dog to forcing them to wear muzzles all the time. It was meant to be hypothetical, but I realized that it may be misunderstood**

This demo liberal regime thing reminds me of something that makes me laugh:

When I was much younger I was watching tv and there was some kids show with kids of different nationalities saying "hello (in their native language), my name is . . . ., I'm from . . . ." with a picture of the shape of their country in the background. So when they got to the Japanese kid, he said "(appropriate japanese greating), my name is . . . . , I'm from Nipon." And the kid from Germany says " . . . I'm from Deutschland (I think that was it.) etc. So here I am thinking gee kids in other countries are stupid - they don't even know the names of their own countries. My dad later explained it to me and I felt rather stupid myself but oh well - live and learn.

Ha ha! You guys crack me up! :lol:
I still can't figure out what politics have to do with crating dogs.. Oh, well... :grins:

I'm not American (I don't even understand what beeing American or not beeing American has to do with the whole thing... :hmmmm:) but I do crate my dogs. Not often, but I do. The problem is that I haven't crate trained them, so they hate beeing there wich is OK, but sometimes I have to crate them. There are times that crating is the only sollution. (or locking them up in another room, but I think crating is more kind)
For example if we get guest who are afraid of dogs, then it's more kind for both the guests and the dogs to crate them. Another example is if you are cleaning the house with stuff that are dangerous to the dogs and you can't do that with just locking the door. So, it's easier to crate the dogs.
If we're cleaning the house and taking the carpets outside (door open during this, so that it would be easy for the dogs to run out and mabye get hit by a car) it's easier and more safe for the dogs to be crated for a while. The same thing if it's really hot inside, that we have to keep the doors and windows open to cool off.
I don't do it often or unneccecarilly, but when there's no other way. And I don't think it's that horrible.
Bella sleeps in her crate, Ben doesn't because he hates it. Bella sleeps in hers no matter if the top is on or off. But she cries when the door is locked. Ben just doesn't want to be near the crate no matter what.
Still, I'd like him to get used to it, but I don't force it. There are allso times that he HAS to be crated no questions asked. One of those times are when travelling. That keeps him safe, us safe and the travelling goes ok. He's car sick, so that makes it so that the car isn't filled with vomit either and it's easy to clean.

Call me cruel, call me nasty or call me friends with Americans - I can be all of those things! :diablotin:

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='hillside']Hey Sexxie, did you read the rules to this forum at all? Here is a refresher:[url]http://forum.dogomania.com/viewtopic.php?t=4820[/url][/quote]

Hey hillside,

Pay special attention to this one:
7) No trollers - people who come here[b] just to start controversy[/b] -

Seems to me, since you have followed me to every thread I posted in and picked me out of the entire thread to try and start something with ..that you're trolling me.

...Hi pot my names kettle... :roll:

I don't know what your particular problem is with me, maybe you don't like new people (noobies) I dunno and frankly I don't really care.

I saw someone else (no names mentioned) say something about the same thing I did...aren't you going to throw a rule book at them as well? Probably not..she's been here a while. I'm sorry but when someone chastises my country...I get a little defensive about it.

Sorry for breaking a rule though..I really didn't know it was that sensitive of a subject. *note taken on that*

[quote name='Michele']geez..i've never had a problem with Hillside...or anyone else on this board for that matter.........[/quote]
Same here! In fact, Hillside is my sis! Well... ok... my "cyber sis" then. :lol:
And sexxie... I must say I agree with Hillside on the troll thing. :o

Guest Anonymous

oooh, ok so I'm a troll because she comes to every thread I have posted in and insinuates things concerning me(someone she has NO knowledge of) so that I have to defend myself?

hmmm....and don't the rules also state that you are supposed to leave arguments pertaining to another thread in that thread....why bring that mess over to this thread...it has enough going on with the crate bashing, politics discussion, and the bashing of the United States..doesn't it?

I love how me finding this site and joining to get some better insight on my type dog, and other peoples views have turned ME into a troll. :lol: I find that rather funny.

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='newfiemom']Ummm...where did Hillside refer to you as a troll? [/quote]
[quote name='Crested']And sexxie... I must say I agree with Hillside on the troll thing. [/quote]

I haven't gone through every thread to find where she said it, never said she said it..but I did reference being called one.

This arguing is getting pathetic, picking out individuals to mock at and now accusations are being thrown. That happens in my country and thats what makes my country the way it is. I come to Dogo to get away from the sh!t and hatred that leads to killings that goes on here. Lets remember that this forum is about dogs and quit this pathetic bloody fighting, before it turns into a full scale riot. :evil:

I crate my dogs only when they are recovering from surgery. They will occasionally go into the crate (door left open) of their own accord but show no particular preference for the crate.

My dogs have full access to the whole house and also to the back yard 24/7. I have never had a problem with this as the house/yard is dog proof. I do not leave dangerous items where the dogs can get them and all electrical cords are enclosed in heavy plastic tubing and disconnected from electricity when I am not home, excluding the fridge, where the plug and cord are not accessible. I do not leave things on counters. I do not leave clothes lying around the house.

I don't have a problem with crating for a reasonable amount of time but I do have a problem with people who crate for 10/12 hours per day and then again at night. That is undue confinement in my book. This certainly happens as I was roundly flamed on another site for my views and people were telling me that they take their dog out for training for a couple of hours when then get home from work. Big deal!! dogs are not meant to be caged up for most of their life IMO. I would not have a dog if I had to crate it up to 20 hours per day, I think it is unfair to the dogs.

How is a dog supposed to learn what it is allowed to do and what not to touch if it never gets free. I verbally correct my dogs if they go to something I do not want them to touch.

I do crate any rescue dogs I have here until I know they will get along with my own dogs but I let them out every hour or so for a run.