Dogomania

what about dog paws in sub zero temps?

samsmama

Hello!

I am a new dog owner, and today is the first below zero day with dangerous wind chills that I've experienced as a dog owner. My dog is pretty hardy (he's a lab/golden/shepherd mix) and doesn't seem to complain, but I was wondering if it was safe to walk him tonight. There's a wind chill advisory. :roll: What do you think??

I live in Canada and we have very cold winters....brrrrrr
I currently own 4 Newfoundland dogs, 1 Rottweiler and 1 Dobie mix; for the Newf's I insure there is no excess fur around their pads to prevent ice balls from forming.
For my Rottweiler and Dobie mix...I have never used bootie's for my dogs...they seem to adjust perfectly to the cold weather...actually last weekend I took all of my dogs for a walk along the ocean and my Rottie went into the freezing cold ocean for a swim...it did not bother her at all.
My only concerns regarding winter with my dogs, is, I avoid salted roads...the salt can really cause alot of problems with a dogs pads. I make sure the fur betweent the pads is trimmed to prevent ice balls, of course I don't have to worry about this with my Rottie and Dobie. :lol: if my dogs ever happened to start holding their paws up I would then check for cracked or dry pads (the dry air in winter can contribute to dry pads)...I check for snow between the pads...in the winter I increase the amount of omega 3 fatty acids in my dogs diets by adding sardines and flax seeds to their food....this helps them with the dry air of winter.
Of course you can try booties, but, if your dog has a chance to build up for winter time there should not be any problems...most dogs have an undercoat which keeps them warm...except of course breeds like Dobies etc. :fadein:
As long as you do not take your dog out for extended time frames, and never leave a dog out side tied etc. in cold weather...short brisk walks a couple of times a day for the dog to releive itself is fine.

I agree, also: If your just letting your pup out in your yard no worries - it'll probably do its business and ask to be let in when its getting cold. If your dog is out for longer you should be with it and you can watch for ANY favouring of paws. Start short and slowly build time, just like peope dogs benefit from time to acclimate. Until you get some idea how long your dog is comfortable with don't go to far from warmth. Once a dog has had frostbite on a paw that paw sometimes will sensitive to cold. All in all though you sound like you have a fairly cold resistant cross of breeds so your pup will probably just love playing in the snow.

It is going to be sub-zero here tonight as well. Just do as was suggested above - check paws to make sure there is no ice sticking to them, if you see him favoring a paw then check it out - ice can cut the pads and the tender interior. otherwise, they're usually pretty good at letting you know there is a problem. They might lick, or chew on a paw/pad that has been hurt. Definitely stay away from salt, that's nasty....Also, it wont hurt to put a small cottonball full of salad or olive oil on their pads before they go out.
It forms a protective barrier (oil and water dont mix) and the worst they will do is lick it off.

I've read this post last night and thought I wouldn't answer as everybody already gave great advice. And then this morning I take my doggie out--we live in an apartment, so I have to take her accross the street to a green space to do her business. And we cross the street, get to the green (snow-covered now) space, and Hippo is cowering and trying to run away... For the first few seconds I don't even understand why... well, she's a little one (40lb), and the wind gusts which I checked when we got back and they're 52km/hour, were freaking her out. I did get her to a more sheltered area, and she did go pee-pee after all, but she was scared by the wind... I guess we'll definitely not walk in open spaces today :D
So what I wanted to say is that I don't think wind would do any damage to their paws--it's the salt that's very, very bad. If anything, the wind probably makes it unconfortable to walk... and then you'll know. So the rule is: if the dog isn't shivering, isn't favouring a particular paw, and isn't cowering & freaking out, s/he's probably enjoying himself/herself.

In my experience regarding cold, dog's usually don't have a problem unless they get their paws wet. It could be -25 deg C and my boys think its great. If they happen to walk through slush and its -10 deg C, they'll start holding their paws up. Water soaks the fur between their pads and basically reduces its insulation.

Watch your dog - he/she will tell you when their feet are getting cold. If you see them stopping and holding a paw up, this is usually a sign that they are uncomfortably cold. Time to bring them in.

If you are not close to home (i.e.: out on a walk), what usually works is to hold their paw in your hand for 30 seconds to a minute. Your hands should be fairly warm (assuming you are wearing mitts/gloves) and this will temporarily help. However, you should immediately start home.

Another thing to watch is the ear tips. Dog's with erect ears (like GSD's) are more prone to frost bite.

Finally, alot depends on the breed. I have a GSD, a Lab/GSD and a beagle/Lab/??? mix. We've had our GSD and Lab/GSD mix out in - 30 Deg C weather and they didn't even notice. If you have a Lab/GSD/Golden mix you should be fine.

Our smaller beagle mix however, with his thin coat and "naked" bellya

[quote]Another thing to watch is the ear tips. Dog's with erect ears (like GSD's) are more prone to frost bite. [/quote]

Wow I didn't know that! Both my dogs have prick ears. Makes total sense now that I think about it but it's just never accured to me. :-? :roll:

[quote]Finally, alot depends on the breed. I have a GSD, a Lab/GSD and a beagle/Lab/??? mix. We've had our GSD and Lab/GSD mix out in - 30 Deg C weather and they didn't even notice. If you have a Lab/GSD/Golden mix you should be fine.[/quote]
I agree fully with this statement, my Malamute mix can stay out in the cold for hours (although I don't usually let her) and not get cold. But my BC mix gets colder quicker because she doesn't have that thick undercoat that my mal x does.