Dogomania

MY toller......

Duke_3

My aunt came up last weekend. She brought four 8 week old BC puppies with her. I fell in love with all of them. NAd i had a plan on getting one..
My mother said no. Even though her and my father both loved the male. He was mostly black and extremly fluffy. I knew that she didnt want a puppy but thought i maight be able to sway her.

I failed to sway her enough to let me get my bc pup.
And i asked her why i couldnt get one and she didnt say. I asked her agin, wouldnt tell me, and agin same thing. So I eventually just said. Look mom, i want this puppy really bad, and i know you and dad both love hom to. So tell me right now why i can't get him.

She came out and said what almost killed me.

She told me it was beuase i already had a dog i dont look after. I do look after him, and i feed him and everyhitng but sometimes they have fed him befor i get the chance. And I used to bring him to agility classes 2 times a week, but its winter now so i can't. And I dont not take care of him. I do take care of him, and when agility starts up again, then im for sure inrolling him.

And I love tollers. I have for almost 2 years now. I think there amazing dogs. ANd my mom does to. ANd i asked her if mabey, if i enroled duke back into agility , and mabey took better care of him and stuff if i could get a dog, and she said if it happens ill let you have another dog, or a puppy!

So i looked and looked and looked and finanly found a good breeder. They live in cowichan, tahts 16-18 hours form where i live! which is a far way i have to say.

So im going to save my money after christmas, buy nothing buy things needed for toller, puppy food, dishes, and stuff, leash and collar will be bought as well. ANd my spring break will be spent instead of at my sisters house, or out on my beach but at home, making agility equiptment.

And i have a poll going about what to naem it.

I can't wait untill my birthday because thats when i get him Or her.

I can't belive i am actully allowed, with a little work, and a little thought and money, that im actully allowed to get one. I am sooooo happy.
I can't belive it. My birthday is going to be the second best day of my life(nothing can top july 24 2003 though...)

The point of my entire post is that i am going to get a toller at last. And im extremly happy! I mean ive wanted one forever and now after many prayers, wishes, wishbones, wishchips and stars and a shooting star.
I belived in my heart i would get one and now, i will

I just want your support!

Im so extremly happy i cant wait, this is going to rule. I am reaaalllllllly seriouse tollers are my fav and i cannopt wait this will be, so amazing.

Guest Mutts4Me

Lexie, don't take this the wrong way, but what you might want to do right away is sit down for a serious talk with your parents. You need to find out exactly why they think that you don't take care of your dog. You need to know these things so that you can work on them, and very hard.

I'm just saying this because obviously your parents have a problem with your care of Duke, enough so that they are not comfortable with bringing another dog into the house. You can't fix what you don't know is wrong.

I'm not accusing you of anything. My sister wanted to get a Chihuahua puppy a while ago. She's a good person, and she's good to the animals. But my parents wouldn't let her get the puppy because she's never home, and she doesn't care for the animals when she is. She never feeds the cats breakfast, or the dog and cats dinner. She never lets the dog outside, even if she's the only one up/home. She doesn't clean litter boxes, and she never randomly checks to make sure the water and dry-food bowls are full. Ya know, good person. Loves the animals. But she probably doesn't even realize my parents don't consider her resonsible enough to have a pet of her own, because my parents didn't tell her why she couldn't have that Chihuahua.

Yours did, so take advantage of that and work on it. And don't forget about Duke while you're preparing for the new arrival. If your parents feed him before you "get a chance," then don't give them a chance to beat you to it. Make a schedule of your time with Duke. Put all feeding times down, plus time for a walk or other exercise, play time, and whatever else. Show it to your parents. Hang it on the fridge or something. [i]And stick to it![/i] More than showing you're dedicated to your new dog, impress them with your dedication to your current dog. That's what's going to get them. Any kid can show they're excited about a new puppy, not everyone can take good care of their dog once they have it.

Good post Mutts4me :klacz:

In addition to the actual care for the dog, you also have to consider the costs... do you plan to pay for all the dog's toys, food, vet bills, etc? Do your plans for the next 10-15 yrs give allowance for a dog, or would it be left with your parents after you move out? I honestly don't like the idea of using a new pup as initiative to take care of a current dog, as often when the "new" wears off, the pup and the older dog are both sent back to the amount of care the older dog was getting before, apparently not enough for your parents. That's just my opinion though, based on experiences I've had.

A few years back, I tried to talk my parents into letting me drag home a cute little APBT pup who's owners had left her at the clinic after they decided parvo treatment was too expensive (it was my mom's fault for showing her to me :wink: ). I made lists of the expenses (most of which I could handle on my own at that point), time constraints, the whole ball of wax because I wanted so badly to be able to have the pup. In the end, they denied me the chance, said we weren't getting any more dogs (this was back when we only had Goo). Little did they know that 4 more would fall into our laps and end up stuck with us :lol: Anyway, I guess the point of my story is that while I didn't get what I wanted at the time, it actually made me throw myself a little harder into working with Goo, and we eventually aquired a horde of dogs (5 total), which I love just as much as I would have loved that pup if we'd gotten her. So I think things do have a way of working out. I'm glad now that I didn't end up with the pup, as our current dogs are a good group, and if we'd had her, we probably wouldn't have them.

Guest Anonymous

Good posts guys! :D
I've talked quite a bit with Lexie about this, and trust me, I think I'm a harder bargen then her parents :lol: :roll: :wink: I gave her a basic list of what puppy will need and how it will cost tones, and the work she'll have to put into it, and I agreed to help her train it, and Duke, although Coal comes first (which by the way, He was able to heal for about two minutes tonight! WAHOOO! OFF LEAD TOO!! :D But I'll give you an update in a seperat post if you'd like :wink: ), I agreed that I would help her out in every way I can. I told her I'd even look up all I can about a NSDTR and quiz her for all she needs to know :wink: And YAY! That's like a party for me, I get an excuse to learn about a breed! :lol: And I also told her if she needs to save up her money for the important stuff first, she can use my equipment (however it's all broken now :o ... I'm building/fixing new/old stuff this winter, so it'll be ready when Coal's ready in the Summer! YAY :D ) whenver she'd like until she gets her own.
My Studen Councler (sp?) suggested we teach both dogs as if there's an invisible fence, and their not allowed to cross it unless their leashed with us, meaning they can't go into eachother's yard's without their owner :D So, wish us luck with that! Mom doesn't want Coal hanging out with Duke, because he's a bit of a wanderer :-? and she doesn't want him teaching Coal that, and so far Coal's doing great at staying home!
So, long story short, I'm goin to have so much fun Guiding, and shaping, and molding Lexie into the perfect dog owner :D :evilbat: :wink:
Now, I'm off to give you all an update on my little Black Demon!

I know guys.

I know...trust me sharas gone on for like hours(no offence :wink: )

I know that puppys are hard to deal with the chewing, the trainingt, the money and everything. But i am willing to pay for everyhting, from food dishes to collars, to toys, to vet bills, to food. Everyhitng. And not to be, judgmental, or rude or anyhting, but you don't know my parents.

There just, uh!!!! i donoo what they are. evil :evil: My mom doesnt care about animals that much she likes animals, but hates having my dog near her because he liek i donoo, shell be watching tv hell come up to her wanting her to pet him and shell tell him to go away and she wont touch him. My dad on the other hand, pets him, lets him outside and everyhitng, but he hates animals i think...He hates puppys, he hates cats, he hates all animals untill he has one, I told him i was thinking about getting a hedgehiog and he started yelling at me all "WHY WOULD YOU WANT ONE OF THEM!! THERE STUPID, POKEY NOT CUDELY WHY!?" and now he lets it run around the house like everynight and he always pets her and talks to her.

And i can't talk to me dad, spending 2 minutes in the same room with him is enough torture. Ask shara hes an evil bas**rd he hates everyhitng, hes alwyas yellign at me, and i hate him, i really do. So i can't talk to him about anyhtign so im not even gonna think about telling him andout my toler till the week i get it.

My mom is a little easier to tlak to. If i jsut go to her alone, and tell her my plan and stuff i think she might say, ok, well you have to promise to take care of it and duke and yada ydada.
And i don't know what she means really with duke. I mean i used to have him in agility and stuff but i just dont right now. And i don't know why she spazed on me. I take more care of him than anyone else does. It's just stupid..

But anyways, yes i know i will have to trian duke hard and the pupy will be a bit of a chalenge with highschool, but i will work it out..
Just wait, in 7 1/2 months ill have a toller.
SO SHARA START PREPARING MY QUIZ!!!!!!!!

Guest Anonymous

Lexie - It's gettin dark already, and the walk from the bus to my house was really cold, so I think we'll have to set our date for Sunday, since Saturday I'm goin with Jared to PG. :wink:
And trust me babe, I know oh too well what your goin through right now, but that I'll hush hush until I know anymore news, or can at least say it MIGHT work :o :evilbat:

HEy guys,
I know tollers are a lot of work, and i know puppys are even more but i still really want one. I really do. And i understand why my parents think i don't take care of the dog i have now, and every reason they said is kinda stupid, but they think it so im going to work on it. And i will get a toller jsut ask shara she knows how much i want one..

Guest Mutts4Me

[quote name='Duke_3']but they think it so im going to work on it. [/quote]

That's good, Lexie. That's it. Work extra hard to prove your dedication. That's what life is all about. You may think you're doing good, but you'll have to prove it to some people. Even if that means swallowing your pride once in a while. You'll find that the rest of your life, not just with your parents, and not just about dogs.

No one's saying you don't know how much work the new puppy's going to be. It's just important to keep Duke in mind while you're planning for this puppy. The new puppy doesn't exist, but Duke does, and Duke is your responsibility. When you get the new puppy, you're going to have two dogs to take care of. It's just important that you realize that. If you do, then great, and I wish you luck with Duke and your future puppy. Maybe you'll have two Agility champs on your hands :)

I still can't quote...
Mutts said tahat even thought im getting a puppy there still duke. And i know that ill then have 2 dogs. So i will be more distracted, and it will be better anyways! and it will be fine, don't worry.DUke will still get lots of attention

Guest Anonymous

Yeah, and get that damn dog to stay home :evil: I was trying to train Coal today, it's a good thing Duke comes to me no matter what, I had to call YOUR dog just to get ahold of mine! :o It's too soon for Coal to be working around such a distraction, and Duke is sure a distraction! :x

Duke was inside the whole day i swear, and if e was outside, thats only becauase my dad let him out...

But anyways.
(this may be long..)

Ever since i was about 5 when i saw an english bulldog i love them, ANd i have done previouse research on them and i think there awsome.
EB were my favorite dogs. Till i saw tollers. And ii thought about getting one im august, theres not a chance ill have money by then. ANd i wont have the time for a toller. That wayyyy to much energy, and things needed.
1) I wont have the money.
2) i wont have the time to agility trainit, take it for walks 5 times a day.
3) theres no way ill be able to drive 18 hours and get one.
4) my parents wouldnt want such a high energy breed.

Tollers are..*sigh* incredible dogs. And thinkingabout them kept me up, last night, and i made a list of pros and cons, and they were pretty uch even.
Yes i love tolelrs and would KILLL to get one. I would die for one, i would do annnnnytrrhing for one yes. But i wontmave the money i tryed calculating a hundred times and everytime it was only half the money needed.

And the i thought about bulldogs, and theres lazy docil dogs, and dukes lazy so its perfect! I mena ya sure they have the energy in them, and so does duke, but duke gets tired easy, becuase hes used to being, lazy all the time And bullies are lazy dogs. there indoor, lazy, cuddly dogs. thats that.
And so its perfect for me. And besides the parents love them . (my mom even likes PUGS! :o my dad lilkes big dogs more, but he thinks bullies are pretty cool all around, and besides my dad loves animals, i eman he HATED the thougt of getting a hedgehog, and look at him now! hes playing with her every night, hes letting ehr out hes changing her water hes trying to steal her from me!

He can hate the animal all he wants but once its in his home, its like, its part of the family.

And with tollers i get this feeling, of wanting to work harder, and be athletic , and just really go!

Butwith bullies, its like, My heart just melts. I was looking at pictures this morning and i got tears in my eyes. I seriosuly did. They make me just wanna hug em all!!!

And with bullies, they fit my life style. i mean, duke is in the house alot he jsut lyes down and sleeps, NAd since sharas mom doesnt let coal have friends over, dukes really friend deprived. I mnea hazels gone. lady ahtes him, he hates babybear, tarp and scooter HATE HIM so much its funny, and theres no other dogs around he can paly with so it will be a good thing for duke if he has a friend.

And i know two dogs are a lot of work. ANd puppys are a TON of work, ive never had a puppy so i can't wait. ANd also, tollers are liek bouncing off the walls energieser digs, but bullies are docil. There just let me lay dogs. Which is a great thing.

There ive explaind my reasons, not yell away... :agrue:

Sorry k,
this site said that they were lazy, docil, dogs, sorry, i didnt know. Im not having the worlds best day today, at all, so dont come down so hard, im sorry. i never knew, and i prolly wont get a bullie anyways, my parents arnt like everyone elsees, tehy dot care how bad i want it they dont want aother dog, they dont care it seems. ANd its like they say no to make me sad sumtimes i swear they do.

Guest Anonymous

I'm sorry your havin a crappy day Lexie... but, I still firmly believe you should stick to a Toller, you know more about 'em, by what you say about the Bull Dog, sounds like you've only read a couple sites or so... and you can't believe everything you read, you need to get as many different sites, books, opinions, and talk to people, like K would be a great person to talk to if you seriously concidered getting one! And there's a few other people here I'm sure (just can't think of any names :oops: ), you really can't believe everything you read, which is why you need to get as many different opinions and information as possible. That's why when I type in "Border Collie" in Google, I can almost garantee that the first 50 sites I've already seen :o It's hard for me to find good ones now a days that i haven't already been to! :lol:
And like I said earlier, I'll lend you some of my books just about training and owning a dog in general, I've got a few really good ones, but some of them, like Paul Loeb's "Smarter Then You Think" you have to try and pick out the good from the bad. Some of his training methods are really good, some are really bad. I had to pick through it, and even mark down what things I thought would work with my dog, and modify them to how I thought it would work.
I think I've got a couple of Stanly Coren's books too, and he's really good, I really like Coren, he's a great behaviorist and trainer. I have that one book "How To Speak Dog" which is pretty good.
But if you borrow 'em then I'll have to mark it down, not because I think you'll steal it on me, it's for me because tones of people have borrowed my stuff and never gave it back because I forgot they had it :o :roll:
Just do as much research as you can possibly get your hands on first alright babe? Compare each breed you've concidered to how they would fit your lifestyle, and how you could manage to pay for, trian, and spend time with them.
Like I told you my plan for my next dog, and it's a LOOOONG plan, will take YEARS to actually happen, and in those years I have to train Coal, get a job, get my license, tones of things that I need to do for the dog I already have, and for my life before I should really even concider getting another dog. See, but I have only about a year and a half left at home, and you have about what... 5? And so if you get the dog during your five years in highschool, you have to concider that if it's a puppy, will you be getting it on Summer break? (which I suggest because... well, look what happend with Coal and I because I didn't have enough time for him :-? ) Plus you will not be home for about... 5 hours of the day with school, not including if you have a job or not, and like you said, your parents both work, and you can't leave the puppy at home that whole time.
There's a LOT you need to think about, and cover all the details at least three times :wink: Even if you DO end up having to wait until you graduate and move out to get another dog, your perfect toller :wink: It will be WELL worth the wait in the end if you get the dog at the right time in your life where you can afford it, have the knowledge, and the time for it, rather then if you don't. In the meantime, you can live your life, do school, it's really important for your future, make sure you get good grades, and work with Duke! He really needs you to just go out and train and play with him! :D He will love you for it if you just go and chase him around the yard for a while :wink:

P.S.
Duke and Coal must have talked some time, becuase right now we have a total of about three shoes, including a GUMBOOT, what looks like a peice of a hose, and other things that are unidentified laying in our yard... At least Coal's not bringing home everyone's first aid kits :lol: :lol: :wink:

Yep....
OH! and guess waht im gonna do for everyone else. Im going to not schoose for myslef im going to let my parents choose.

Plan:
I am going to write a paragraph about why I think i should get another dog, witha pros and cons list. and then im going to have a page on every breed i love. It will have a picture of the breed, stats, temperment, prices, health problems, life span EVRYTHING and then im going to let my parents decide which on they like. Then i will raise/save money for it, and buy books on the breed and study it and everyhitng good plan?

Plan B: I wait till graduation and move out get a dog then.

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='Duke_3']Yep....
OH! and guess waht im gonna do for everyone else. Im going to not schoose for myslef im going to let my parents choose. [/quote]
*slaps forehead* Okay, obviously you have not been listening to me for the pat days and my constant "you need to find a dog that fits YOUR lifestyle" so that's it, I give up! I'm just going to shut my mouth from now on, do what you want, it's your life...

[quote name='Duke_3']Plan:
I am going to write a paragraph about why I think i should get another dog, witha pros and cons list. and then im going to have a page on every breed i love. It will have a picture of the breed, stats, temperment, prices, health problems, life span EVRYTHING and then im going to let my parents decide which on they like. Then i will raise/save money for it, and buy books on the breed and study it and everyhitng good plan?

Plan B: I wait till graduation and move out get a dog then.[/quote]

Personally... I'm with Plan B... but hey, it's your life, I'm going to stop trying to talk to you about it anymore. I'm done. Vamoos, I will just stick to working with my dog from now on and not try to help anymore.

:o :o :o :o
[size=7][color=red][b]Plan B without a doubt[/b][/color][/size]

Look after the one you have at the moment
Thats the one that needs the attention
And why not spend some time helping out at a shelter :wink:

And when you are all grown up and have a place of your own
Than think about getting another dog :lol:

Agreed Kiger.. To be honest from what I have read, you need to concentrate on your own dog and be grateful for your dog that he is there. The flitting from one breed to another gives me an impression of immaturity. Sorry if that is blunt, but as a canine behaviourist, I see many dogs with boredom related problems because the kids beg compulsively and then get bored, and take no responsibility. You may or may not be like that but in the space of one week, you have gone from wanting a Border Collie to a NSDTR to the latest; English bulldog. These are all dogs that are very different. Spend some time at your local animal shelter if you are desperate to be near dogs, perhaps a dog will be meant for you there.

Guest Anonymous

:oops: Shucks Abker, thanks...

I'm really sorry Lexie, but I have to agree with everyone else too :-? Even though I lent you that STACK of books last night, and have been trying to help, I really DO think it's best you stick with Duke. I'm not saying don't read the books! Their VERY informational, and you can use them on Duke too :wink: But, it's your life, and your dissision... I hope whatever you choose works best for you, and I will try to suport you the best I can.

By the way... when I got off the bus today Duke was there, so I tried to bring him home, but Coal spotted us, and demanded he come with, he stayed in the yard pretty well, then darted at Duke, so I had to quickly call both dogs into the yard, and since I had sooo many books, I couldn't hold onto Coal and bring Duke home. So I brought both dogs in the house, then tried to call you so I could tell you I was letting Duke out and you could call him, but there was no answer (oh, no one was home by the way, otherwise I would have left Coal in the house and took Duke home, but he was so hyper he would have just distroyed anything, and i didn't want mom to come home and catch Duke in the house) so I just let him out the back, and told him to go home, I'm hoping he did as told. You REALLY need to get a way to keep that dog home, he's guna whined up on the side of the road one day from a car :( I told you I'd help teach you to teach him to stay home, and it's not like once that happens it's going to be he stays home perfect, Coal doesn't even, and we've been working on it a lot, but he's usually not out that often anyway, and as of yet not a single complaint from anyone, or he's been spotted on the road. So he is improving, and this is something I've been teaching him since he was a baby. If Duke can't learn to stay home, your going to have to figure SOMETHING out, because it's getting rediculous at how many times i've brought him home :-? Sorry babe, don't mean to rain on your parrade more, but that's how it is, and like i said last night, I'm gettin really sick and tired and am not even going to talk about this "new puppy" thing anymore, only advice I will give you anymore is on training, and that's if you listen. There's a thousand more people, even MORE qualified then me for sure who can help answer any questions you have here too, so just ask away if you have any questions, but make sure you LISTEN TO THE ANSWERS! Like the summer before last (I believe...) when I was helping teach the dogs agility, and you'd stand there staring off as I got your dog to do something, and you claimed you understood how to do it, but you weren't listening!!! :x

[quote name='Kat']Agreed Kiger.. To be honest from what I have read, you need to concentrate on your own dog and be grateful for your dog that he is there. The flitting from one breed to another gives me an impression of immaturity. Sorry if that is blunt, but as a canine behaviourist, I see many dogs with boredom related problems because the kids beg compulsively and then get bored, and take no responsibility. You may or may not be like that but in the space of one week, you have gone from wanting a Border Collie to a NSDTR to the latest; English bulldog. These are all dogs that are very different. Spend some time at your local animal shelter if you are desperate to be near dogs, perhaps a dog will be meant for you there.[/quote]

Agreed...

It sounds to me like the dog you have is not being properly cared for as is and with a cute adorable puppy around will probably be pretty much ignoted except for the ocassional pat on the head. I read that Duke loves to wander...what happens when a puppy of any of these breeds that you've listed decides to wander with Duke and is not as careful as Duke and runs out in the road or gets himself lost from Duke. Then What???

In My Own Opinion --

1) Be greatful for the dog you have. Teach him how to behave and stay in his yard. Just doing agility with him is not going to make him anymore of a well behaved dog. Teach him tricks,obedience,anything and especially teach him to stay in the yard!! It sounds like he has already made Shara mad and who knows what other neighbors!

2) Learn and study different breeds (weather your interested in them or not) Learn all you can about different breeds. Educate yourself on training dogs, dog behavior, dog breeds, dog activites, anything and everything about dogs...then when your moved out and on your own and are able to dedicate yourself totally to a dog You will know alot about dogs and will be able to decide on a breed...

3) Your parents seem like they do not much care for Duke and they only 'tolerate' him. Well what is going to happen to the puppy while your gone puppies need constant supervision I mean 24/7 ! Are your parents going to want to let him out every 2 hours...are they going to want to pay medical bills or food bills?? It sounds like NO!

I just ask that your pass on this dog thing ( I am not trying to be mean) and focus on the dog your lucky enough to have. Wait untill your on your own and financially stable... it will be a long wait but in the end it will make that moment even more worth it! Focus on Duke and look to give him the best that you can give him! He deserves it!