Dogomania

Shopping spree! What more do I need to buy?

imported_nea

Today I went doggy shopping! :) I didn't get that much, because the two stores I went to didn't have what I wanted. What I did get was this:
[img]http://images.snapfish.com/338%3A4%3A6323232%7Ffp47%3Dot%3E2329%3D444%3D637%3DXROQDF%3E23234623%3B37%3B6ot1lsi[/img]
1 leather leash, 180 cm long.
1 pack of 50 black plastic bags, extra strong with handles
1 rope toy
1 tennis ball type bone shaped toy
1 slicker brush
1 comb with long wide spaced teeth and shorter closely spaced teeth
1 rubber thing with small knobs that is a grooming tool, not exactly sure what its called :oops:

What I know I need to get, and that I will get tomorrow hopefully, are;
1 brush, is it better with soft of hard bristles?
1 collar, I'm thinking probably nylon, leather is sort of bulky for a puppy
1 nylon leash, its easier to stuff in a pocket and doesn't way as much as the leather one.
1 Kong toy, I've heard they're good
Other toys
1 toothpaste and toothbrush kit

What else do I need? Do you have any suggestions?

Pet stain/ordour remover?
Definately get the kong toy, crate, and stainless steel dishes - maybe no tip dishes or dishes in a stand especially if your pup is like Zaphod. :roll:
Maybe discuss with the breeder what food the pup is on before you buy food, even if you are going to switch foods you'll want to do it gradually.
As for puppy on the bed: you may not be able to do this till puppy is house trained. Whether or not puppy can sleep on the bed after this depends a lot on your expectations and the puppy's dominance level. With a very dominant pup you may want to enforce your dominance but not allowing it on the bed, otherwise it may be ok as long as you don't mind dog hair on your pillow. :lol:

I have two ceramic dishes that Birk had, I was thinking of using them. Is taht ok? They're heavy, and won't tip. What is washable bedding? Is it just anything that can be washed or something special? I want to make something in crafts in school, so would fleece be ok? How about a sheep skin (real)? I think its washable.
The breeder sends a bag of food with the puppy, so I don't have to buy that yet. Odor remover is a great idea! That way I don't have to check all the normal cleaners for ammonia, or whatever it is. :)

I don't think this puppy is going to be that dominant. I don't know for sure, but he was a lot less pushy than his sister, and really loved doing what the breeder wanted him too. I don't know if I WANT to wait until he's housetrained.. :lol: Maybe I'll just get used to doing lots of washigns. Or waking up in the night.

Thanks for the help! :)

THis is what the bowls look like:
[img]http://images.snapfish.com/338%3A4%3B3523232%7Ffp3%3B%3Dot%3E2329%3D444%3D637%3DXROQDF%3E232346245%3A233ot1lsi[/img]
Do they look ok? I eventually want to get those pretty stainless steel ones with dents of dog bones and stuff, but this puppy is expensive and along with all the supplies, puppy courses and membership in the dog club, its ALOT of money. Which is ok with me, but I can't buy ALL the things I'd like to. :cry:

Right. Panicking is not good! :lol: I just want the best for my puppy, but I also want my mom not to kill me when she comes back for spending all her money! :o
I may be a bit strange, but I find special things become even [i]more[/i] special after they've had some animal ruin it a bit! :lol: Most of my shirts have a row of small holes on the righthand shoulder from Tizzy biting there. He is so smart that he does "bity shirts" as we call it when he needs to go back in his cage! :roll: I'm expecting to have have chewed things now because of a little puppy making his mark on my stuff soon too! :lol:

Totally beautiful dogs and look like smart breeders too. From what I know of training with Flatties is that they are intelligent, not the same field as their Golden counterparts as Goldens can be manipulated to do anything but Flats will invent new ways and rebel tasks. Be firm with him from day one so he knows his place, but he will provide you with hours of entertainment and fun with his antics! Get him into agility and Obed too if you can :wink:

beautiful! now, don't panic. When I brought Oscar home we didn't have anything. We knew we were going to get a pup, but we didn't think it'd be so soon.

relax, you're going to be fine. Do buy some of that enzyme cleaner stuff. I lived by it while I was housetraining. And remember, when he's jumping all over everything -- he'll get bigger. My mantra -- It won't be cute when he's grown ...

Guest Mutts4Me

[quote name='nea']
1 rubber thing with small knobs that is a grooming tool, not exactly sure what its called :oops:[/quote]

It looks like a curry comb to me. Curry combs are common horse grooming tools. They're used to remove shedding coats... off short hair... I don't know if it's necessary for your pup. I guess it can't hurt, but if you want to take it back, you probably can.

[quote]
1 brush, is it better with soft of hard bristles? [/quote]

Bristle brushes are generally for short hair, too. A brush with metal pins is good for long coats.

Lol, seeing that curry comb has me pining for horses...

Congrats on your puppy!

as far as bedding, I have two 2 1/2 inch thick foam pads (they are called mattress toppers) that I have wrapped a washable blanket around and then finished off with pillow cases covering them. They are all completey
washable (except the foam) and easy to care for, and the dogs love them.

Personally I wouldn't bother with a Nylon leash unless you want it for a "spare". They can be VERY hard on your hands, specially with a puppy that may not yet have the best on leash manners.

As far as the ceramic crock bowls. Be VERY carefull because they can break!

As far as sleeping on the bed. I would say NO, NO, NO. Not until he is older and TOTALLY house broke.

My dogs are all allowed on the bed once they are house broke. But when they are puppies, they sleep in a crate. Not much is worse than waking up to a mess either on your bed, OR on the floor of your bedroom.

[quote name='nea']Today I went doggy shopping! :) I didn't get that much, because the two stores I went to didn't have what I wanted.

1 pack of 50 black plastic bags, extra strong with handles
1 rope toy
1 slicker brush
1 rubber thing with small knobs that is a grooming tool, not exactly sure what its called :oops:

1 brush, is it better with soft of hard bristles?
1 collar, I'm thinking probably nylon, leather is sort of bulky for a puppy
1 nylon leash, its easier to stuff in a pocket and doesn't way as much as the leather one.
1 Kong toy, I've heard they're good

What else do I need? Do you have any suggestions?[/quote]

[color=darkred]Wow thats a lot of shopping hun[/color] :D

[color=darkred]There might be one or two things you mentioned that I don't bother with lol, for starters we use plastic Asda bags for the poop, cheaper and easier :lol:

Our dogs love rope toys especially the big lad.

Slicker brushes are only ok if the bristles are soft, the first slicker I used was quite hard, our Bullmastiff didn't like this touching his skin (despite how gentle he was brushed) the bristles are like needles and dig into the skin causing it to bleed no matter how careful you are, not to mention painful if you catch your fingers on the bristles :o so I changed to a softer one without any harm done which Charlie seems to like better, you can get right down to the roots with this one and even run your hands over the bristles without them digging in, it seems to last a lot longer too. I bought mine from Crufts last year.

The rubber one with nobbles you have got is an hound glove, I use one on charlie to circulate his skin.

Ceramic bowls I use for my 2 smaller dogs food, (like the ones pictured here) they prevent any germs (unlike plastic that are carriers and split easily), they are also heavy so they won't tip over. Our large dog has the steel ones which are also very good and raised off the floor on a stand.
Sizes vary.

I don't think dog tags have been mentioned but this is something to look into if ever your dog was to get lost.

I got our dog beds from Snoozzzers but the ones I prefer are the Doughnuts....you can buy these at a reasonable price from Bullmastiff Rescue, the proceedings go the Rescue of course.
They do all sizes and colours

The link to it is here.
[url]http://www.users.daelnet.co.uk/adickie/bed/beds.htm[/url]

A dog crate is always helpful with house training as well has safety, if used properly they are great[/color] :D

I'd get stainless steel bowls, or ceramic ones--ANYTHING but plastic. I beleive plastic is what causes the discoloration of the nose. the type of brush and grooming tools you need depends on the coat. the knobby thing you got is probably a zoom groom, my groomer sister says the purple or pink ones shaped like a dog work better than the one I have (the one I have looks like yours) get a flat buckle color if he's going to be on a tie out for any length of time. you probably want some vinegar for pee messes, and a stain remover for "other" messes. I have heard of people giving puppies a "comfort" item that the pup treasures his entire life--Calliope has her squeaky ice cream sandwich. you'll need FILM. you'll kick yourself the rest of your life if you don't get pictures when you get him home. (i'm speaking from experience)

Wow, thanks for all the help! :) I guess I won't let the puppy sleep on my bed yet... :( I have another "plan" though, and that is to have the bed right by my bed! Then I can put my hand down easily and have the dog right there! Some people we know are goign to lend/give me a dog bed that their flat (who died a few years ago :cry: ) had. So until I get the crate that'll be good! Sometimes also I sleep on my floor so I can be closer to my guinea pigs cage. Maybe I could do that the first few nights with the puppy too? Or would it be bad if he then expects me to [u]always[/u] sleep on the floor with him?

Foam pads are soemthing I need to look into! Maybe tomorrow I'll go down town and see if I can find some.

Film - great idea! I usually use my digital camera, and I can get prints from that, but taking some with a normal camera is good too. My mom has a good quality one. So I can try to get some GOOD shots of my puppy-dog! :D

I'm pretty sure this slicker has soft bristles. I'm not [i]sure[/i] but if the puppy protests then I'll know why.
Dog tags! I had comptely forgotten about that! I need to wait until I know what I'm goign to name the puppy, but I can always pick up the papers and fill it out the best I can so its just to send off when I know what I'm going to call him. I'll probably hardly ever call him by his name, just "puppy dog",but still :roll:

The brush I got has really stiff bristles, I hope that works well. I didn't like any of the ones with metal pins they had in teh store. I'll ahve to see if I can find a good one...

I'm [u]definatley [/u] doing both agility and obedience! :D Both seem really fun. Along with search and rescue, and tracking and freestyle, and flyball if there is any in Sweden. And if there isn't, then I can always train it anyway! :wink: I guess I'll have to wait a while until I can start agility and flyball though. There are SO many fun seeming dog sports out there! Could I maybe teach him to pull a... whats it called? it has two metal rails that slide on the ice/snow and then a chair or something attached to it? No one would be sitting in it, but I thought it might be fun to just teach him that. And maybe getting him to be a thearapy dog would be fun too! :D

I did some more shopping today, and I got a nylon collar, matching leash, a leather collar that matches the lead I bought yesterday, a thing of toothpaste and a brush. I'm thinking that I can always have the nylon leash, which is small, in my pocket so at any moment I can take it out. And if I'm going on a walk where he'll be mostly off leash, then I don't know if I want to haul the leather one along.

Oh, and the GREAT thing: ON SATURDAY I'LL BE GETTING HIM!!!!!! :) :B-fly: :D :D :angel:
So now untill then I'll have to keep busy... Tomorrow I'm off to look at foam padding. I'm wondering if I could make a friendship bracelet and let him wear it some, and me wear a matching one? That would kill a few hours! :lol:

Sorry this post is so disorganized, but I tend to jsut type as things pop into my mind. :oops: