Dogomania

HELP!! NEED ADVICE !!!

nadooshkinz

Okay guys here's the doggie dilemma:
Both my friend and I want to get a dog but are having problems because our parents are taking up the "your not responsible enough" charade, but we both respectfully disagree. However being the loving kind parents who want what's best for us, they refuse to look at things from our point of view... what can we tell them to change their minds? :cry: :cry:

I agree with K, make sure that you're responsible in all your stuff, and you can prove to her that you are responsible enough to have a dog!! Clean your room, do your homework, get straight A's (although that's really easy for you :wink: ) and offer to help her with all the work, and don't bring up the dog subject for a couple of weeks until you show her how responsible you are, and when you think it's time, talk to her when she's in a good mood and isnt busy and can pay all her attention to you, and talk to her carefully about her, and if that doesn't work, make a deal with her (I don't know what kind of deal..But I think you know what I mean)

I agree with K and Deez. And IMO, Nagging is a BAD idea. Most parents will get REAL annoyed and MAD when you try this tactic. Maybe even to the point of totally "turning off" to the idea of you getting a dog as long as you live in THEIR house.

nadooshkinz. Do you or your friend have any other pets? If so, WHO takes care of them?

Have you done any research as to what breed you would get IF you could get a dog?

I'm a mom of a 16 year old boy - who is IRRESPONSIBLE to the max...

He wanted to take a Beagle puppy and bring it home. I told him only if
he would walk it, feed it, bathe it and take care of it, and his response was "cant YOU do that?" the answer to that question was a definitive NO!!!!

so...find something your mom hates doing...and offer to do it for her in
exchange for the dog...clean the bathroom, mow the lawn, dust,
anything she really hates to do. On top of that, take VERY GOOD care of
the dog..clean up after it, walk it, feed it, make it YOUR responsibility..
and DO IT>

If you can prove to her that you will be a responsible owner (and suck up by doing things she doesnt want to do) she may give in. Make it a deal
between you and her...

Here is what I think about the "make a deal with the parents".

Seems like usually the "deal" is IF the kid doesn't take TOTAL responsibility for the dog, that means the dog GOES.

IMO, that is REALLY not fair to the DOG.

IMO, if the parents aren't as excited to get a dog as the kid is, it is usually best NOT to get a dog in the first place. Who takes care of the puppy when the kid is at school? MOM or DAD. Who has take up the slack if the kid has a TON of homework, is sick, ect...?
Again Mom or Dad.

If the parents aren't excited to get a dog, HAVING to take care of it, (And that includes buying the food AND paying the vet bills. ) will cause them to resent the dog. And again the dog will probably end up looking for a new home.

my reply was based on experience...my mom didnt want a dog, fought tooth and nail against it, we convinced our dad to get us one.

Altho at first she didnt like him. he grew on her and she would never
have done anything bad to him, even when he peed on her Christmas tree
and soiled occasionally. It depends on the parent, I guess, but mine was hard core against having a dog...

[quote]Altho at first she didnt like him. he grew on her and she would never
have done anything bad to him, even when he peed on her Christmas tree
and soiled occasionally. It depends on the parent, I guess, but mine was hard core against having a dog...[/quote]

This is my experience also, it depends on the parent..... :-?

Guest Anonymous

My parents didn't want me to have a dog. After years of nagging and pleading I finally resorted to my last option. I waited until a day that my mom had made a bad mistake -- like throw away my term paper just two days before it was due or something like that -- I can't remember what she did exactly, all I know is that I was MAJORLY upset and she was REALLY sorry and she told me. So I took off and rescued a dog and brought it home. She felt so badly for what she had done that she felt she had no choice but to let me keep him.

I know it's horrible! It was only one of a handful of rebellious things I did in my youth, so sue me! :oops: Here comes the disclaimer -- do NOT try this at home kids. It was not a responsible thing for me to do! This plan could backfire and guess who will have to pay.... certainly you, but also, and more importantly, the poor dog. I was lucky in my case that my parents accepted the dog - although I got a huge responsibility lecture afterwards.

Oh, and the most important part -- when you promise that you will take care of the dog you really do have to make good on that promise.

I'm sorry, but I feel like playing devils' advocate here (and d*** silly I look, too, since I"m only 19) but how old are you? Your life will change TONS between now and twelve years from now, and your 'rents probably don't want to be left with the dog. Are you SURE this is not a passing fancy?
Research dogs for two months. Research breeds, breeding, care, toxic products, plants, and places for the dog. Research the advantages of harness versus collar, six foot leash versus four foot leash. What to do in a fight, how to break up a fight. How to be diplomatic and responsible for your dog. How to train, how to control. The advantages and disadvantages of different sizes of dog--from the toy size to the gargantuan size. Read everything you can get your hands on. different diets, pros and cons. different kinds of kibbles. different groomers, whether you need a groomer, etc. you may end up with a mixed breed, and that's GREAT, but if, after sixty days of non-stop dog info, you still haven't lost your passion for this little pup, I'd say go for it.

As for convincing the 'rents to let you have one--as you learn, share. share until they're physically sick of all that dog knowledge. And then, discuss. if this is a happening thing, every member of the family must be alright with the dog chosen. And if the dog is going to be outside all the time--morning, noon, and night--wait until you have your own place to get your own dog. a dog tied out in the yard is only canis familiaris, not man's best friend.

[quote]Oh, and the most important part -- when you promise that you will take care of the dog you really do have to make good on that promise.[/quote]

ABSOLUTELY ESSENTIAL!!

I agreed to take on ALL care for the dog, and I did it faithfully. When I moved out, I took him with me....my dad had become so attached to him by then that he actually cried, and said if I ever didnt want him I could bring him back....my mom, on the other hand, had all the carpet replaced within two weeks of his being gone......

:lol: :lol: