Dogomania

ONE SOLID MONTH OF RESEARCH LATER, nothing.

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

[b]
This is an indepth "what's the right breed for me?" quesiton posted in a couple of branches as I was uncertain where to post. It's going to take your time. Just warning you. If you are uncertain about anything and care to double check; [email][email protected][/email] is where you'll find me. [/b]

Hi there,
After reading several books on dog breeds and doing some intensive research on the internet, I feel lost and confused because of conflicting doggie traits. :-?
Let me tell you a little about myself so you can tell me what breed and I will be like peas and carrots.

I am a single-animated-happy go lucky-funny-young-restless-sensitive-easygoing- adjective loving fella who works from home in a small Boca Raton apartment in humid Florida. I am a patient and nurturing person overall who wants to spend many happy

Guest Mutts4Me

I'm by no means an expert at dog breeds, so I'm not going to try to pick one out for you.

But do you definitely wants a puppy? Or would a grown dog be okay, too? Just curious because most good shelters/rescues have staff members who can talk to you and help you find the best dog for you. It may be pure or mixed breed, but if it's grown, its personality will be a known factor, while a puppy's may not be so certain. You also have the possibility of getting a good dog that's been trained and/or had a good experience so far in life, but just couldn't be kept by its family for X reason. You'll also have an opportunity to save a life.

Of course, puppies are great, too. So are responsible breeders, who will be able to tell you probable temperament and health issues based on the parents and breed in general.

Best of Luck and be sure to let us know what you decide on.

Amber

:D

A Rhodesian Ridgeback if you can handle the dog being on the puppy-hyper side for the first two-years, after that you have a couch potato who needs minimal daily exercise (a brisk daily walk). They are generally quiet indoors and come to life outdoors, mine will run till they drop outside, and curl up on the couch with me inside. They always want to be by their people lounging.

They are extremely intelligent, an real obedience class is a must, but once trained are absolutely wonderful. They will drool on your every word yet can think for themselves. They can be too intelligent, one of mine has figured out that he can open the trash can with his foot therefore his head can dive right in. I have heard stories of RR's learning how to open the refrigerator, (which can become a problem since they are the king of food hounds).

Very short hair with minimal shedding if brushed occasionnally (once a week). They require very little bathing, I haven't given mine a bath in 3-4 months and they still don't smell. Brushing will eliminate the need for weekly baths and personnally I would not bath them that often as it could dry out there skin.

Some do have allergies, but researching for a reputable breeder will help to eliminate those lines. Most common problems are hip-dysplasia and dermoid sinus, but all reputable breeders screen for them and they are not usually a problem.

I would contact Ridgeback Rescue and start with an older rescue placement, and then you can move on to a puppy and since they are addictive home-ownership with acerage. There are plenty of RRCUS breeders in FL as well.

[url]http://www.rrcus.org[/url]

I am not recommending this breed solely because I own them myself, they just really fit your requirements.

:angel:

Maybe I'm biased, but I'm pretty sure that with one big exception, you just described my dog, a Shih Tzu. If you can look past the fact that it is a small breed, and the way many show dogs look (in my opinion ugly with that long, flowing hair which is absolutely not necessary for a house pet), then this is a great dog. Going down your list of requirements:

- Shih Tzus are certainly indoor dogs. They are actually recommended for people living in apartments or in cities because they don't need lots of space to excercise or room to play. A game of fetch inside tires him out very well.

- Shih Tzus are extremely quiet. Quite uncommon for such a little dog that you'd expect to be yappy; they are not. Miles only barks when he gets REALLY excited, and it's usually just one bark to let you know he's there. Never barks inside.

- This is one really calm breed. They will get energetic and playful when you want to, but they are known as a great lap dog because most of the time they just want to hang out with you. When I sit and watch TV, so does Miles. When I don't have time for him, he lays down and either quietly plays with a toy or takes a nap.

- Not only are Shih Tzus hypoallergetic, they don't shed (of course all dogs, and humans, shed somewhat, but they are known as a non-shedding breed).

- Absolutely obediant and easily trained. You may hear that they aren't intelligent, but I don't see that at all. At 4 1/2 months Miles could sit, stay, lay down, roll over, play dead, beg, walk without pulling on a leash, etc. Now at 6 months he pretty much understands what I want from him with just a look or hand signal. At the same time, he is very forward with guests or anyone (or dog) he meets on the street. Not at all timid, shy or aggressive.

- Cost is the biggest drawback. You want a well-bred Shih Tzu and they can be pretty costly. In addition, unless you want to do it yourself, you have to get them groomed approximately once a month. Otherwise their hair can get long, matted and look funky.

Anyway. . . check it out. Wonderful breed. As for the custom toilet seat thing, not with a shih tzu. I'd be interested to see that work with any dog!

Okay, I'm going to add my two cents here... maybe I'm a little bias too, but as you said cost is really not an issue, I suggest a Cavalier King Charles Spainel.

The Cavalier is considered a toy breed but it is taller then most other toy breeds. They reach about 18 inches at the shoulder and usually wiegh between 12- 18 pounds when they reach adulthood. They are also skinny, my parents keep telling me Felix needs more fat on him as they can feel his bones when ever they pet him but I can't make him eat if he's not hungry. They love human companionship and have been said to be unable to live without it. I don't know if that is true but my Felix wont go outside to use the bathroom without me standing in the doorway. Of course, Felix also thinks he's cat. :roll: As for apartment living they are as perfect for it as most other small breeds. They love to cuddle and prefer sitting in your lap. They are also said to be very loyal (i.e. Queen Mary of Scotts is said to have been beheaded with her Cavalier hidden under her skirts because the dog refused to leave her, even after her death). I agree with you on high pitched barks. Fortunately, Felix's bark is bigger then he is. By that I mean he sounds like a medium sized dog not the toy breed he is.

The biggest turn off for most people (I will be honest here) is the up front cost just purchase one. For a pet quality male you are looking at about $1200 from a breeder. A pet quality female will average about $1500. From there the price goes up. The highest price I have seen for one of these dogs is $2200.

Health wise these dogs are as hardy as any other, IF you get one from a responsible breeder.

The best part about these dogs is their expressiveness. You can see it in their eyes without looking too hard. Their thoughts are right there for the whole world to see. I often get the "But Moooooooom" look from Felix and it's the cutest thing I've ever seen. Not even the kids could top it. :lol:

On a side note, these dogs love to travel... ANYWHERE! Even if it's only to your postoffice box or down the street for a short walk. Doesn't matter, they are enthusiatic about everything and everyone.

Well that's my two cents. If you have any questions feel free to ask. Good Luck!

Blessed Be!
Amanda

I dont own one (I have a Lab and a Foxhound, both need a yard) but I have heard from quite a few people that Papillons are good apartment
dogs. They are supposed to be gentle, intelligent, quiet and easily trained. However they are small.

May I make a suggestion? Go to the local shelter or humane society and
tell them what you are looking for. Meet the dogs they have there, you may fall in love with one instantly. You can often find puppies there too, if it's a puppy you want. We all have our own favorites, and I would love to tell you to get a Lab (because they're good for first-time dog owners) but
I can guarantee they wont do real well in an apartment. They fit all the other requirements, but they need outside exercise.....

Keep in touch and let us know how you make out

:D

I've never owned this breed myself..but, I've been told a good dog for a couch pototoe is a Bull Terrier, they are easy going (although can be a little dog aggressive) and their excercise requirements are moderate...a good stroll is good...for grooming the sleek coat is easily maintained by a weekly rubdown with a bristle brush.
another breed which is very low maintenance is the Bull Dog..they can adjust to just about any environment and are a relatively low activity level...but, because of their facial structure they can be prone to snorting ,snuffing and snoring.... the Bull dog coat is low maintenance.
I also would go to my local humane society and see what they have available and tell them what you are looking for...an adult dog is usually always a good idea as Mutts4me mentioned...you could also take in an older dog which would normally not be placed due to the age factor...an older dog just looking for a rest home...
I have also seen many many many breeds so not typical of their breed standards...so, even by getting a breed which is supposed to be laid back...you could end up with a dog which is hyper and not typical....you don't know how many times I have heard this statement ( I work at a Vet clinic, Grooming & boarding facility) from so many people..gee, this breed isnt supposed to be like this?????

Guest Mutts4Me

[quote name='Cassie']I've never owned this breed myself..but, I've been told a good dog for a couch pototoe is a Bull Terrier, [/quote]

:) I was going to suggest a bull terrier or a bulldog, because from what I know, they would meet the requirements, but I didn't want to end up being wrong and someone getting offended :agrue:

I totally agree with Cassie about not every dog being typical of their breed, which is why an adult (or at least older) dog would be a good idea, that way you get to meet the dog first hand and make sure it's what you want.

And of course, I stand by my shelter/rescue counselor statement. They should be able to narrow down their residents to a small number that best fit your wants and needs, and then you can pick from those dogs. You can go to several different shelters/rescues if you have them by you, and get a larger selection of dogs that are most compatible with you. Doing it this way would let you choose from specific individuals, instead of breed generalizations.

If you do think one of the breeds mentioned (or other ones) would be a good idea, you could also look for breed specific rescues by you, and they might have several dogs of that breed to match you with, based on their individual personalities.

Again, I'm not saying anything against going to a good breeder and pciking out a healthy puppy :) That could be wonderful, I'm sure. You just seem very determined to get the perfect dog for you, and I've given you what I think is the best way to do that. Plus I'm very partial to mutts, or at least shelter animals :wink:

Guest Anonymous

To add to exellent suggestions above:

Border Terrier - I know it is a little dog but its a very doggy little dog, like a full size dog from far away. It has moderate excercise, energy and playfulness. Very easy to train. Needs weekly grooming and occaisional stripping, sheds some but not alot. They do need a daily walk and probably a daily indoor play session. They very much enjoy the out of doors but make a decent apartment choice and are amongst the most calm and biddable of the terriers. It is a bit smaller than you may like being 12 to 16 lbs but in my opinion they don't have that small dog look.
[url]http://www.akc.org/breeds/recbreeds/breeds_b.cfm[/url] click on the Border Terrier and the View option for a video

or for a larger breed and the ability to do good:

Retired Greyhound - Aside from training ability (Greyhounds have only a moderate training ability but that's not to bad) this dog may work very well for you if you can commit to its excercise needs which are not that extreme - Greyhounds are sprinters not endurance runners and therefore their excercise needs can be met by a long walk or a brisk but breif run or play session out of doors in a SAFE area - they sprint remember and are sight hounds. They are quiet, calm and extremely well-mannered indoors. Enthusiasts refer to them as the the world's fastest couch potato." The love the out of doors but like to be made comfortable indoors, they need soft bedding and cannot live out of doors all the time. The can be somewhat independent but are often eager to please. Coat is easy to care for needs occasional brushing to remove dead hair. Some may be timid but if you are adopting from a Greyhound rescue group you can ask the adopter to match you with the right dog.

or

You can also research spaniels - many smaller calmer spaniels would meet your needs admirably.

From your description though you may need to go with a smaller dog despite you preference for larger dogs. Cavalier King Charles is a nice choice as is Shitzhu or any number of others - not a Jack Russel Terrier though. Also note that small dogs can be doggy litter box trained if you want.

Guest Mutts4Me

My aunt had a retired greyhound. He was an awesome dog, took up the entire couch, and loved to play :) Just chewed on everything available, including my moms's shoe ;)

A bulldog did come to mind for me also for a brief moment, until I came across the 'low maintenence', training, low cost etc... they are good apartment dogs though!
Other things that crossed my mind were bull terriers, cocker spaniels and of course, Papillons! If you can get over their size they match everything you just asked for! :D

Guest Mutts4Me

Ah, see, I knew I would've been wrong if I'd suggested a bulldog. The bulldog description for the "Breeds" category over to the left said:

[b]Grooming[/b] Little

[b]Excercise[/b] Little

[b]Activity [/b] Low

So I thought it sounded like what I'd always assumed about them. Lol, my little sister's going to be so disappointed to hear how high maitenence they can be, as she just decided a week ago that she wants a bulldog when she and her fianc

a standard poodle is medium to large sized, doesn't shed, isn't vocal, and can be trained to do just about anything. if you buy a good, expensive set of clippers and have a groomer show you how to keep the dog neat and trim, you'll save yourself tons of money. Because of thier popularity in the show ring and those elaborate hair cuts, people don't take poodles, even the standards, seriously, but they are incredibly smart dogs.

What about a Boston Terrier? They are absolutely darling, short-haired, very sweet -tempered and cute as buttons.

Here's a link to more info:

[url]http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/bostonterrier.htm[/url]

(Note: I cannot totally vouch for the accuracy of the information on dogbreedinfo.com, but it does seem to correctly reflect the Boston Terriers I personally know.)

Guest Anonymous

i would recommend a bassed hound if it has to be a bigger animal. they are the only "larger" breed i can think of that does not need a lot of exercise, which seems to be your most limiting factor.

[url]http://www.k9web.com/dog-faqs/breeds/bassets.html[/url]

definitely not a bull terrier, since they are basically energizer bunnies that will get into all kinds of things if they aren't exercised properly - and that includes a lot of playing fetch etc. a bored BT could lead to quite a bit of frustration on your end.

i do agree with the retired greyhound, provided you are willing to take it places where it can satisfy its need for running now and then - in a SAFE area, a sighthound should never be let off leash in an unfenced area because it WILL take off after anything that looks like prey. an italian greyhound is a much smaller alternative but still meets most of your requirements as far as exercise, non shedding, obedience and learning rate go. they're darling dogs, small but not yappy at all.

Peng1zrule - I also thought about a Standerd Poodle but I thought its excercise requirements and energy level might be to high. Otherwise they too would be an excellent choice as well.

Guest, along with Italian Greyhounds, Whippets might also be good and are slightly larger but both breeds again require more excercise, I have been tempted by Whippets and IGs myself, I have a BC who would love tearing about with them but they are a little fragile, especially the IG.

[quote name='poochster'][b]

The higher up on the list are the more important factors in comparison to the lower half.

- A breed that really likes it indoors. I do not have a yard. I work out in gyms and treadmills and running on concrete with my dog is not an option for my knee caps. It constantly rains here in Florida so mostly we may end up playing indoors. But I am an outdoorsy kind a guy given the chance.
- I like it sort of quiet indoors. Shrill barking from small dogs especially hurts my ears. I

Guest Anonymous

ok - here's one no one has mentioned. How about a schnauzer? They come in Miniature and Standard, although even the Miniature is not a tiny dog (15-17 inches, 20 - 25 lbs). They don't shed, but they need to be groomed every 3 months or so. (Again, easy enough to do yourself with a little practice). They are clean, loving dogs and easy to train. I would watch temperment, the ones we have had have all been very gentle and loving, and quite low energy, not at all hyper. However, I have just met a hyper one! They are a little barky, but usually just when people come to the door, then they will quickly settle. They have much more of a big dog bark, they are not yippy. I've had 5 total (since I was a little kid) and have enjoyed and loved them all. I even have relatives in Florida that had one in thier apartment.
Again - shelters or rescues are great, and if you want a puppy, get one from a reputable breeder.

Oh, way I just want to say - if trainability isn't all that important to you I think a Basenji would be IDEAL for you! They hardly shed, have no doggy odour, can't bark, are very clean and EXTREMELY intellegent, as well as being majorly cute and lovable!!! They are very independant and probably don't make the best lap dogs in the world, although they are small enough to be a lap dog. They need to be crated while you aren't at home as they can climb all over the furnature and the curtains if you aren't keeping an eye on them. I would seriously consider one if I were you, our first dog was a basenji cross and she was just fantastic :D

[quote]Oh, way I just want to say - if trainability isn't all that important to you I think a Basenji would be IDEAL for you! They hardly shed, have no doggy odour, can't bark, are very clean and EXTREMELY intellegent, as well as being majorly cute and lovable!!! They are very independant and probably don't make the best lap dogs in the world, although they are small enough to be a lap dog. They need to be crated while you aren't at home as they can climb all over the furnature and the curtains if you aren't keeping an eye on them. I would seriously consider one if I were you, our first dog was a basenji cross and she was just fantastic [/quote]

I agree with Aroura on this one. :D :D :D Basenji's are beautiful dogs! :D
Give us an update please!?!?! What do u think u're gonna go for???????

Guest Anonymous

[url]http://www.raising-canine.com/choosedog.htm[/url]

That link has a cool little "quiz" you can take to generate breeds that might be right for you..might be worht a try?

Here's a couple more...maybe you can try them all, compare notes and then decide from there?

[url]http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/search.htm[/url]

[url]http://www.funtrivia.com/dir/5369.html[/url]

[url]http://www.selectsmart.com/pets.html[/url]

:lol:

I took the quizzes, just to see how I'd rate....

They said for me, the perfect dog would be a Golden (had one) a Lab or a German Shorthair Pointer (have a mix of both)...didnt mention a Foxhound though, although most Foxhound sites say they need a Farm or lots of acreage. But Laurel is 6 years old, and seems happy with just a BIG yard (60 ft. by 80 fy) to cavort with Freebee in....

So I guess I chose well....LOL

that's a cool bunch of sites....I also read "The Pledge" and I think all dog owners should have to read it and sign it....

I pledge to make a reasonable commitment of time and effort and to effect scheduling and lifestyle changes in order to make this relationship work.

I pledge to make sure my dog is not exposed to the elements of weather without proper shelter, shade cover, dry ground, access to fresh water, and at least one hour of loving companionship and play a day. (I understand this is a minimum and will strive to keep the dog with me as much as possible and treat him or her as an important member of my family.)

I pledge to provide appropriate and timely veterinary care for the life of my dog.

I pledge to provide my dog with the proper nutrition for optimum health, and to keep my dog at the proper weight, neither obese nor emaciated.

I pledge to keep my dog indoors at night, and to include him or her in the activities of the household as much as possible while we are home.

I pledge to keep my dog groomed and free of external parasites and matting (particularly behind my dog’s ears, under his elbows, and on his tail and thighs).

I pledge to spay or neuter my dog if it has not already been done.

I pledge to give my dog ample aerobic exercise daily, and make sure that at least three times a week he gets to run and play until tired.

I pledge to provide my dog with mental stimulation in the form of daily play, interactive toys, training, or off-territory leash walks.

I pledge to provide my dog with enough training and/or behavioral management so as to enable him to be a welcome part of my community or to be managed safely.

I pledge to provide my dog ample outlets for his instincts (such as off-territory leash walks/running, opportunities to sniff and explore the natural world, agility training, trick training, fun and rewarding obedience training, play with other dogs, etc.) So that he does not feel constantly frustrated or develop behavioral problems because he is neglected or understimulated.

I pledge to provide a home in which my dog clearly knows there are certain rules that I will insist on and he can count on.

I pledge to provide my dog with enough toys to satisfy his urge to chew.

I pledge to get professional help if my dog has or develops behavior or temperament problems, and to manage my dog carefully so as not to endanger other people and pets in my community.

I pledge to do everything I can to keep my dog from becoming a nuisance in my community.

I will not allow my dog to run free/out of my control and chase cars, bicycles, children, etc.

I will keep my dog quiet or seek professional help to get my dog to be quiet when I am home and away, so as not to disturb my neighbors.

I pledge to "scoop poop" from my dog when off my property so that my dog and other dogs will always be welcome in public.

I pledge that, if I have to move residences for any reason, I am aware that finding housing that accepts pets can take longer than average, but that I will commit to moving with my dog as I would move with a member of my family.

I pledge that, if for any reason I can no longer keep this dog, I will not abandon this dog. I will return the dog to the shelter (if required) or leave ample time to find a new and appropriate home, tell the new owners truthfully all the dog’s behaviors good and bad, and follow up occasionally to make sure the dog is safe and content.