Dogomania

Is it me or is something really, really wrong here?

atghylin

Found this ad in a local paper today...

ENGLISH BULLDOGS 8 new champion pups every week! Pet/ show/ breeding quality, shots, dewormed, vet checked/ 1 year guaranteed, some red/ white, some brindle, $1250-$1500. Visa/MC. We make buy ing a Bulldog fun and easy. Visit our ranch by appointment or [url]www.dogvalley.com[/url]. De livery possible. **********. Se habla Espanol.

New puppies every week and major credit cards accepted. Ummm... this sounds very, very, very, very wrong to me. I will take a look at the website they have listed for more information.

I gotta tell you guys... as of right now this sounds like an ad for a puppy farm to me. :-?

Blessed Be,
Amanda

Okay, went to the website. What they are advertising is a puppy store located on a ranch outside of Ellensburg, Washington. They claim extensive medical checks on all puppies they receive. They do not breed themselves apparently. This address will take you a page they did to tell their clients about themselves.

[url]http://dogvalley.com/?page=about[/url]

But I still don't like it. Where are they getting their puppies from? And how do they know that the puppies are not from puppy farms before they purchase them?

I still stay they are running a puppy farm only without breeding themselves. They are buying and selling puppies at too large of a rate for me not to think they are in this for the simple love of the dogs. No, I think they are probably turning a very nice profit on every puppy they buy and sell.

If I'm wrong, please say so. It won't hurt my feelings none.

[quote]Q. Does DogValley put me through an "interview" process to buy an English Bulldog?

A. No, we have a "live & let live policy", and a belief that buying a dog should be a fun and easy experience. At DogValley we trust that a person who makes a sizable investment in a dog is going to value it and take proper care of it. [/quote]

In other words - we don't give a shit who takes our dogs and what they do with them as long as we get the cash. :evil: :evil:

Ooops! I forgot about Coulee. I don't here much about Coulee but then you would be the only person I know from Coulee.

Felix is my only dog and he's a Cavalier King Charles Spainel. I would love to pick up a Saint Bernard one day, though. :D Now that's a breed that would send my in-laws into a tizy. :lol: :lol: No, they would not like that at all. Too many bad feels about the last Saint Bernard in the family. I blame them for what happened to the poor thing... they lacked the knowledge and training techniques for it.

Amanda

Yatooma, you are not wrong about the amount of money decent people are willing to pay to give a dog a good home. The gods know I did the same for Felix. But the breeder I got him from interviewed me and made sure he would be going to good home before she let me have him.

The frustration here is that these people in "Dog Valley" are in the business of puppy brokering. In other words, these people don't care where the dogs are going just as long as they get their money. There is no telling where these dogs are going... they could be heading towards a fight ring, a lab, or an abusive home. (K would be able to give you more information about these places.) Those here on Dogo firmly believe that our pets are members of family and should be treated as such. It breaks our hearts to see puppies going to places like this and then to who knows where. The biggest frustration is some of us can only bring awerness of such places to others. We can't save the puppies even as our hearts are going to peices. :cry:

Amanda

Also, Yatooma, there is the welfare of the bitches to be concerned about.
Puppy Mills generally "mass produce" puppies. As soon as the bitch goes into heat, she is bred again, and again, and again. She never gets a break from the whelping process. A lot of these females age way before their time, because continual ongoing pregnancy is neither good for them, or normal.

Also, puppy-millers dont genreally look very closely in to the lines of the puppies they are creating. The dog you just paid $2000 for may have chronic ear problems, hip dysplacia, growth disorders, even neurological disorders, because the breeders are not following the AKC guidelines
for bloodlines. A good breeder will do the best he/she can to guarantee
their pups are as free from genetic disorder as possible. They will not re-breed from a dog that has thrown a litter with these problems. They
also sell the "less perfect" dogs as pet quality, not show-quality dogs, and they insist the owners neuter the dog, so it cant procreate.

What we term as puppy-millers are people who just throw two dogs together, get a litter and then sell them at outrageous prices, even though they are not up to AKC standards and may actually be ill. And the papers they sell with them? Absolutely useless. You can buy computer programs to make real-looking AKC papers, and they're completely fake.....

Does that help answser you question?

:)

Just because someone pays $2,000.00 for a dog doesn't guarantee that they will take care of it. The cost is irrelevant because the price is relative depending on the individual person. $2,000.00 might seem like an astronomical sum to one person but it may be chicken feed to another.

Also, all dogs have different needs when it comes to care. Some require lots of grooming, some require lots of exercise, some require extensive training etc.... if a breeder doesn't interview prospective owners, how will they know if the new owners even know what is involved in taking care of that particular breed.

In this case we are talking about bull dogs, you may or may not have seen in other threads K's description of what is involved in caring for a bull dog

• 7 months later...
Guest Mutts4Me

The posts on this forum do show up in Google searches. I came across this place a couple times in google searches, but they were all old threads, and I had enough forum experience to know to look at the date before replying. It wasn't until I stumbled across a current thread that I actually joined the forum. But not everyone knows to look at the dates, which is why I think we sometimes get a random thread popping up after several months by a Guest poster.