Dogomania

Ack . . . to much fur!

DogPaddle

I think Zaphod may be crossed with a husky or gsd or something . . . I expected bad shedding wiht a Lab cross but he's blowing his undercoat and it is unbelievable. I have been brushing him everyday for 5 days and each day I get 2/3 of a kitchen trash bag, also a bathed him 3 days ago and had to rinse a cat sized pile of hair away afterwards . . . and still I have to vacume every day! If this keeps up much longer I'm inventing a hair retaining suite for him!
Anyone have any better suggestions than brushing, bathing, brushing, vacuming, brushing, sweeping, brushing, using a roll tape to remove fur from my clothes, brushing, using a roll tape to remove fur from furniture, brushing and BRUSHING?

Errrrrrr no sorry no tips here but it does sound familiar :roll: my sister has a husky and when she visits my front room carpet (which is navy) turns white in about an hour and when she is staying I have to hoover twice a day !!
You are doing the right thing with the brushing though it will help !! :wink:

Speaking about fur! I have 4 Newfoundland dogs with way too much coat also. What I do when they are blowing their coat is I brush them out first then I go over them with a rake..this will take out the undercoat that is just not quite ready to blow out yet...then I take a comb and go over them again. Once weekly I bath them (since they are shown every weekend this time of the year) and I brush them in the tub while the shampoo is in their coat (I have a special bath brush) then after wards I blow them out with a high velocity dryer and when the coat is pretty near dry I start brushing again...it is alot of hard work and not every one has access to a high velocity dryer...so you may want to take Zaphod to a professional groomer just to get that undercoat out.

A groomer friend suggested I get a Mars Coat King....(Kaleb has not blown his coat since I got him in October of last year so his undercoat was UNBEARABLY THICK and he was HOT.) The Mars Coat King actually cuts out the undercoat while leaving the outercoat alone. I used it on Kaleb and WOW what a difference. I removed about 1/2 a kitchen trashbag of undercoat from him. He is cooler, AND baths do not take as long!

The only problem was that I got a little carried away on his rump...and he now has no undercoat two spots. :-? That was definitely a newbie thing.

I got mine from PetEdge. It was about 32.00, but it is definitely worth it!!!

Thanks all for the suggestions and support.

Kaleb - So this Mars thing actually cuts just the under coat out? That would be cool.

Carol - I have been brushing dry but I will definately switch to wet - I get enough hair in my face when Zaphod decides to sleep on the bed and spread the fuzz.

Daisymom - We have been planning to switch my dogs and my mom's dog to a raw food diet when this bag of kibble is gone but now Abbey has to be on her special diet for crystals in her urine for another week or so, so we are in a holding pattern.

Cassie - :o That sounds like a full time job. :lol:

If you can get a Coat King, it's well worth the money (I didn't realize PetEdge was carrying them now... at one time they were kind of hard to come by). They are kind of expensive, but I wouldn't want to be without my set. They come in various sizes. I would suggest a coarser one for you. They do a combination of raking out (carding) and cutting. As mentioned, don't concentrate all your effort in one spot too long, or you'll have patches.

[quote name='Horsefeathers!']As mentioned, don't concentrate all your effort in one spot too long, or you'll have patches.[/quote]

At least Kaleb doesn't care about the bald spots... :oops: :lol:

I am using the Mars Coat King on the new chow now. His fur is HORRIBLE. It is all matted particularly around his head. I am actually thinking about shaving him. :( I son't think he would mind. But so far, he tolerates grooming. I have been taking huge amounts of fur from him (using the Coat King) for the past 2 nights. I don't think that I am making any head way though. I even used an undercoat last night...with all of the tugging and pulling, he still stood perfectly still. He is such a sweety.