Dogomania

Ignorance

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I was at my local soccer last week,with my Staffie baby (not Amstaff, Staffordshire Bull Terrier) who happens to be 4 months old,when I was told by an official that "those kind of dogs werent allowed on the grounds!"
My puppy has been well sozialised,exposed to different situations,has attended puppy preschool and is currently attending obidience training. While I know the person telling me to take my baby home wouldnt have known this,the fact is she was on a lead and there was a some small fluffy dog running around freely,and he's owners werent even approached.
Just because my dogs a bully breed im targeted,part of the Staffies Breed Standard is "Highly Intelligent and affectionate,especially with children".In England their nickname is the 'nanny dog' because of their nature with children,this was one of the reasons I decided to take a Staffie into my family.
I just wish people were better informend,or thought before they opened their mouth.

I kinda understand your feelings, as people cross the road and drag their kids away from my dogs, saying they're vicious and bite.
They're lurchers (greyhound crosses) not staffies, but as many are used for hunting, they get a very bad press :(
I love staffies, they're the friendliest happiest dogs - great with kids :D

I hate it when certain breeds are singled out for exclusion! I have a Staffy Bull (and I know K does too) and he's probably the friendliest dog I've ever owned! That's with both people and other dogs! And I'm not exagerating, he wouldn't hurt a fly!

And plus a 4 month old puppy??? C'mon!!!

Guest Anonymous

Sigh. Been there, hon. I remember walking my old rottie through the local biggie pet store when I was pregnant (she has since passed--the dog, not the woman so far as I know! LOL!) and having a woman get IN MY FACE and tell me that my dog was going to maul my child to death. Well, how nice. Little did she know that Amber was a therapy dog and had already literally saved me from some thugs not long before that, AND had attempted to save some children from drowning (they were playing, not really drowning, but she hauled their raft to shore anyway!) I mean, come on people, God gave you a BRAIN so that you could produce a thought or two before you spewed it out for the rest of us to be subjected to, so at least make it a good one! Some people...

Unfortunately, that is way too common. There are pet owners out there who help give that perception though. Around where I live, there's a tall young man who owns 2 muscular black (and impressive looking) pit bulls. We walks them with a thick chainlink around their neck and lets them lead as though he were holding the reigns on a horse. Now, as he walks, OF COURSE, everybody gets out of his way -- and I mean out!!. What does the idiot do? He smiles and looks proud that people are intimidated by his dogs. He walks them in a menacing way, and I sincerely believe he enjoys how other people fear them. All his doing is ruining the reputation of a lovable breed (in the right hands).

I'm sorry you went through that with your pet. That's sad.

I'm sorry that you and your pup were the victim of that sort of prejudice. It is discouraging for your dog to be judged because of someone's preconceived notion regarding the breed. Even more so when you know that your pup would have been fine in the situation. :-?

Probably each of us with a large dog has experienced this sort of discrimination. Although the "your kind aren't welcome here" stands out as very hurtful and unjust! I have a rottie who is the best natured fellow. Recently I have had to take him to a busy vet's office (not my own vet's office) due to some surgery he had to have and each time I have gone in other customers have given him the evil eye! The last time he was in a couple of old cocker spaniels growled and barked at him as he was laying on the floor at my feet. Their owner yanked on their leads and glared at Max like he was evil personified! :-? He didn't even lift his head off the floor! That's not an attitude I would expect other dog owners to have.

Now if I were to take my saint in, the reaction would be totally different even though he is far more powerful than my rottie! Go figure! :roll:

That same day as we were leaving a young man was bringing in his lovely little pit bull for an appointment. He saw us coming and yanked his dog's lead saying, "Come on KILLER. Leave him alone!" and hustled him inside. What kind of image do you think this fellow wants to project? :-?

A similar thing happened at the vet yesterday when we were there. The place was sooooo busy and there were customers all over and waiting in line. I was waiting to pay and a young man walked in with a beautiful old pit. An older lady just stared and then said .... "is that a pit bull?" He said yes, and that was it. But, she was so scared and backed away. So, the dogomanic that I am asked if I could pet her and he said "sure, she is very friendly and loves anyone who will pet her!!!!" She was very sweet and very, very well behaved!!

We had a darling little fawn and white pit bull puppy in my rescue group awhile back. I was playing with her at one of the adoptions, and a lady came up and began petting her and asked what breed she was. I said, "She's a pit mix," and this woman snatched her arm away like she was about to have it gnawed off! The puppy was all of about 8 weeks old, by the way :D

you know what's really ironic about this Staffie?

My girl is a lab mix ("great with children" NOT! "likes everybody" NOT!)
but they would have been more than happy to let her run around loose
in the park. I mean, she's a LAB right? They NEVER hurt anybody...

NOT!!!!!!

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

I cant really blame the people, they are only going by what the media
has rammed down their throats....But the media needs a big slap upside
the head....they are destroying and warping the whole concept of the
bully breed, because it makes sensational news stories...

Guest Anonymous

:evil: :evil: Arg! This gets my panties in a twist!!!!
I HATE people who do that!! That's so mean too! What was this lady, in Elementry School?! I remember having clubs that "NO BOYS ALLOWED" or "So and So not allowed" but come on, we were little kids!!! If you ask me, descriminating (sp?) against different breeds is no differnet then human racisim. Unfortantly, that still happens too! Arg, I'm just hatting the human race more and more each day!! :drinking:
I remember with Hazel, she was a "sweet little border collie" I'd take her for walks and she'd be lunging and growling at a person/dog and the person would just smile! They wouldn't even try to move out of her way! They all figured she was just a friendly dog, trying to get to them to lick their face or something! Now that's as bad as the whole thing against bully breeds!!! People need to start opening their eyes and minds a little more is what I think. Now just because a dog is a lab or a border collie, doesn't mean it's a friendly happy go lucky dog, and just because a dog is a pit or a staffy, doesn't mean it's going to rip your arm off! Why can't people understand this?! Each dog and breed is different, and while they have some certian personality trates, not all go by it! Dogs are just like people (only not so narow minded :evil: ) they all have differnent personalities, and just like people, these personalities are shapped by how they were raised!! You can have two totally different people, one bad, one good, both of the same race, town, religion, whatever. One was raised in a bad inviroment, so therefore turned out bad, and the other, raise in a good, so therefore turned out good. So why can't you have two dogs of the same breed that might be different in the same way? Grrr! People who jump to things like that make me sick to my stomach!

oh, and by the way Daisymom - great job! Hopefully you shed a bit of light on that woman who backed away from the pit!!

Guest Anonymous

Oh, just to correct myself so that people don't jump down my throat, when I said someone who's raised in a good inviroment will turn out good, and bad = bad... that's not always the case, I was just using it as a simple example. I know of some people who were raised in pretty good places who turned out bad, and some who were raised in horrible inviroments, but still turned out good...
Anyway, just... had to point that out... carry on... :wink:

Shara,I couldn't have put it better myself!!
There is a lovely little staff called Reggie that belongs to one of the mum's at Jays school he is the smiliest little dog you have ever seen, but the other day a mum was walking past with her mum and daughter and she said "get hold of her hand mum I don't want her going near that vile dog"
Silly bitch :evil: so of course I've gone straight over to Reggie with Jay and Jay is hugging him and he's giving big bully kisses and smiling like only they can :megagrin: and I'm saying "what are they saying about you reggie roo !!!" :lol:
P.S when I get my camera next week I'll try to sneak a snap of him for you !!!