Dogomania

:) New Pup..Maybe :(

My little baby Techihilia, who died of parvo, died about 3 months ago. Well right after she died the breed who we got her from and that I work for offered to give us another dog but we couldnt handle going through having another puppy at the time, too much emotional stress. Well we went to her house because I will be caring for their dogs while they are gone. While about three weeks ago she walked out to check on the mother who was planing to have pups. She walks into her kennel run and realizes the mother had had them, but her eye popped out of her head when she was that they where black. A. Eskies aren't black, they're white. But she keeps all her Eskies in covered pens there is almost NO possible way for them to intermingle with other dogs and this confused me to because I know that she always keeps them seperate.
**Well we went out there today and saw the dogs, and so I could make sure no mothers where expecting while I was to be in watch of them. I saw the little black Eskies and fell in love!! They are the sweetest little things and best yet WE MIGHT GET ONE!!!!!!! I love this little one with a white tip on his tail. My mom has always been looking for a little dog because all our other dogs are big. So now we are going to show my daddy and see what happens...but I also have a problem.

I have been told that parvo can stay in a household for several months, we disefected everything with bleach after Tech died, we only was allowed in the kitchen until he was potty trained. Could Parvo still endanger a pup if we get one?

I was also wondering how many different mothers she has in kennels?
Any really good breeder would only be able to handle two females and a male. It cost so much to take care of the health of the mothers and all the pups, And to make sure that the pups are in full health before they find a new home. If she has more then two mothers then I would be very cautious on wither or not she is running a puppy mill. Don't get me wrong, I am not trying to say she is, I would just be alittle concerned.

She had no clue that the pup had parvo..it take 5 to 6 days to kick in those pups in particual where birthed and rasied in her house. We took the pup to the vet the day after getting him, he say no signs of anything wrong. Im not sure how often they are bleached but they are cleaned three times a day. She does them at 8, her husband does them at 1 and I do them at 8 at night. She only has two moms at the moment in the kennal. I would never work at a puppy mill...not after I've already tried so hard to get them stopped.

I wasn't aware that I was very preventable..I did alot of research when Techy had it, I never heard of anything saying it could be prevented. I just know that it is a mysterious illness, and is very deadly to puppys, I know alot about how it works, or how it affects the pup I should say and I talked to my vet about it.
I can ask her tonight. I know she always is taking dogs to the vet, and her husband used to be a vet. I dont see why they would neglect to do this.. :-? I can ask...

[b]Prevention[/b]
As with all infectious diseases, minimizing exposure from infected animals is the most effective means of prevention. Since infected dogs shed large amounts of virus in their stool, contamination is always a possibility. The virus is quite resistant in the environment, especially in public areas that are not disinfected. This is a good reason to keep your pup away from these areas until it is older, worm free, and had its full series of dog vaccines.

Since this disease occurs mostly in puppies, worms (internal parasites) and poor nutrition add susceptibility. Puppies should be wormed frequently until they are 3 months old.

Any dog you already have in the household before you exposed it to a parvo dog you recently brought in (whether it died or recovered from the parvo) should be current on its vaccines and should have minimal exposure, if possible, to the contaminated areas. It is rare for an adult dog that is current on its parvo vaccine (yearly boosters) to get parvo.

If you had a dog die of parvo we recommend thorough cleaning with diluted bleach (1:30 with water, or 4 ounces of Clorox in a gallon of water) and waiting 1-2 months before introducing a new dog to the area. Spray the yard as best as possible with a hose and keep new dogs away from the area for 1-2 months. Never put bleach on your dog.

Vaccines are highly effective. Ideally, we should vaccinate pups every 2 weeks starting at 6 weeks of age and lasting until 5 months of age. This is not realistic for most people though. Fortunately, parvo vaccines given at 8, 12, and 16 weeks of age are highly effective. Puppies should not be exposed to other dogs or the feces of other dogs until the vaccine series is complete.

Guest Anonymous

Did you pay for the first Eskie? If so then I would definately not take one of the black puppies to replace the first since they are obviousely somehow mixed. Also did the breeder even warn you to Bleach your entire yard and to throw away all collars /leashes etc.. that the previouse puppy used? Did she make you bleach your shoes(or step in Bleach) and disinfect your hands prior to entering the property where she has newborn unvaccinated puppies since she knows that you had parvo in your yard or did it not concern her?

The pups are in her house, and all of them are potty trained so the pup has not been around feces. I cleaned my house already when lil techy died. He wasnt allowed in the same area of the yard where the other dogs are because they play too rough. He would have been starting his shots, I know she had him started already, because we asked before we got him, poor lil guy hey was just about old enough to get his first parvo shot.

[quote name='Guest']Did you pay for the first Eskie? If so then I would definately not take one of the black puppies to replace the first since they are obviousely somehow mixed. Also did the breeder even warn you to Bleach your entire yard and to throw away all collars /leashes etc.. that the previouse puppy used? Did she make you bleach your shoes(or step in Bleach) and disinfect your hands prior to entering the property where she has newborn unvaccinated puppies since she knows that you had parvo in your yard or did it not concern her?[/quote]
We didnt step in bleach before entering her yard..although she did tell us to get rid of the collars, leashes, bedding, anything else the pup touched. We throw out our shoes, and a rug that he sleep on and bleached his outside potty pen and it hasn't been used since. We didnt pay for the first puppy because it was a gift for me for helping her for all these years. I'm the one that picked it out.

I just wanted to point out that it sorta seems like we are attacking icyshiver.... we might not be trying to but, I mean she just lost a dog. Everyone makes mistakes, and yes maybe this could have been prevented. It sounds like this breeder has good intintions, and if icyshiver has been there for several years, I would think she would have noticed if the animals were in any distress, or if the breeder didn't seem reputable. So maybe we should just back off a little? Losing a dog is a very painful excperience and I think we need to be a little kinder than we've been. Sorry I can't help u more icyshiver, I know nothing about parvo. But please don't think we are trying to attack u, obiviosly u care a lot about dogs and are only looking for some advice and maybe some guidence too.

Thank you, abker17. I know you all are a bunch of caring dog lovers(otherwise you wouldnt be here) I know you are intrested in the little pups well being as well as the others that she has. Im not feeling too personally attacked, because I know I would say the same things. Im not even sure Im going to get this puppy I just want to take all precautions before even thinking of bringing a puppy home. I loved my little techy very much and when she offered to give us another dog, which ever one we wanted, we turned it down because, well one of the parvo now in our kitchen where the pup had stayed, but she said we could pick on out anytime, and two because we could not handle having another puppy or dog so soon.
Heres some pictures of Techihila his name means "I Love you" in suoix.
[url]http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4290490771&idx=20[/url]
They where took with a web cam, that why there not to good and kinda akward
I have some videos too if anyone is interested I think they work with Window Media Player

I never said much about him in the up above posts because its still kinda hard too...the litte fluff ball wiggled his our hearts.

I didn't think we were attacking her, just questioning the breeder. Personally, I didn't know too much about parvo until very recently. We we went to the place in Lancaster, my cousin said we could have brought it back home to our dogs :o She was the one who told me about the bleaching and etc.

I think posts like this are very informative!!!!

iceyshiver21, I am sorry about your pup :cry: