Dogomania

What is the difference between a breeder and a kennel?

Daisysmom

We went out to Lancaster today and looked at puppies at a Kennel. There were a lot of different breeds. It was out in the country, but I really didn't like their dogs. They, not all, didn't look real healthy to me. So, anybody know the difference???? Was this a puppy mill?????????????? a breeder???????????? or what???????????????

Also, before we went there, we went to the Lancaster county humane society. Oh, there were so many dogs, and so many pit mixes. There was a 10 year old rottie!!! HIs name was Bear, and he was sooooo sad!!!!!!!!!! Who the he!! would drop off a ten year old dog?? :evil: It made me cry.... I left money at the counter for him, but couldn't take him. He was soooooooooo big and so old. He had cataracts and all :( Poor baby!!! That place was huge, they really have money!!! Three different wings, and bathrooms for guests, and visiting rooms for the dogs to meet with new prospects. Very nice place.

If something doesn't look or feel right, it probably isn't right. :( I agree with Mouse. I wouldn't want to buy a pup from a place that had lots of different breeds, but would prefer to buy from a breeder who specializes in a breed and knows them inside and out! And uses improvement of the breed as their standard for creating litters!

But this is a moot point for me, since I will probably always prefer to find a dog who needs a home and doesn't have one.. :) Just a personal choice....I do love to see all the pictures and hear the stories of pups out there. :wink:

Well, we rescued our last dog, and I am really obsessed with getting a yellow lab. I have searched the petfinder site and have been to two shelters, but have not found one.

I was so upset at the shelter yesterday!! People just dump their old dogs there to die :( I was very taken with Bear, the rottie. He was just too big..... and, I think rotties will be too much for me. I have really researched them.

I know labs very well, and am just a little OBSESSED!

From what I hear, there are a LOT of puppy mills in Lancaster County. It sounds like the place you visited was one. Poor dogs :(

The rottie you mentioned just breaks my heart! You wouldn't believe how many people don't seem to be bothered by dumping animals they've had for 10 or more years. I hope someone gives the poor guy a home.

I hope you can find a rescue dog that's right for you, but here's a site with info on finding a reputable breeder:

[url]http://www.frii.com/~phouka/puppy/bdr_frames.html[/url]

That may be true for larger breeds, Rosebud, but I've found that in the toy-dog world, many breeders will do two different breeds. For example, the breeder I got Macy from, who was positively top-notch, at one time raised both Maltese and Yorkies. (She retired from doing the Yorkies awhile ago, though.)

However, I would not adopt from anyone who had MORE than two breeds.

Guess we'll just have to agree to disagree! I have known several great breeders who showed both Maltese and another breed (Lhasas, Yorkies, etc.) It also may depend on their personal lives -- a person who can stay home with the dogs all day will of course have more time for these things than one who works full-time.

:-?

Sanvean, I do agree with you on two breeds, I hope you didn't misunderstand me, I was saying more than two breeds I would be leary of; if the breeder breed two breeds - I would just want a little more info from the breeder than if they just had one breed.

:angel:

In respose to the question you aked:

[quote]Who the he!! would drop off a ten year old dog???[/quote]

I volunteer at the local Humane Society twice a month. My goal is to try to find homes for the dogs that are surrendered. I spend time with prospective owners trying to help them find a dog that is right for their home.

There are MANY legitimate reasons that people have to surrender their animals. And of course there are just as many reasons that aren't so legitimate (more like excuses). What I'm saying is that you shouldn't be so angry.

Many of the older dogs like the rottweiller that you were referring to are surrendered for very legitimate reasons. Quite often the owner has taken ill and they are no longer able to provide adequate care for the dog. Sometimes the owner has died! If there's no family member that is willing or able to care for the dog (sadly, sometimes there's no one at all), they have to be surrendered. It's very sad because the dog was everything to their owner!

The last dog we had was 7 when he was passed to the dog rescue - the reason was that his owner had MS and could no longer give him the attention he deserved.

He'd been at the rescue centre for 6 weeks and had not been homed as people felt he was too old - he melted my heart from the moment I saw him and we were lucky enough to have him for 9 yrs before he had to be put to sleep at christmas.

We now have a puppy called Rufus and I know that Muttley would have loved him as much as we do already.

Mutley....I like that! :D

Most breeders will breed one, or maybe two, different breeds, usually the same type, like Toy, Or Sporting, etc...

The breeder I worked for bred both Goldens and Labs, but he had a contract with the Seeing Eye to provide top notch guide dogs, and both breeds are well recognized in that field.