Dogomania

Lake/Beach Visit

Luka-pop

I really want to take Luka to the beach or lake or something, but how do I insure that he can run off leash? At home, he's really good at coming back when I call him. But when he gets excited, I bet it'll be a different story. How can I make sure that he can run around, while still coming when I call him. He's got way too much energy for me to run along him with the leash.

Is there anything that you KNOW he'll come running back to you for? Food, or a toy, or an open car door? If not, then why not try tying a piece of rope (20-40 ft long) to his collar the first couple times, and just letting him drag that along, so that if he takes off, you can grab him before he gets too far. It doesn't even have to be a real thick/heavy rope, just enough to guide him back to where he should be if he wanders off. You could also work on his recall while he's on the rope, so that you can be sure he'll come before you let him off.

:-?

[quote]I've heard of people practicing "offlead" recalls with fishing line tied to the dogs collar. I guess the theory is they can't see it because it is so fine. They just think that you have THAT MUCH POWER. Anyone ever tried that?[/quote]

I have been cut with fishing line, that stuff is dangerous, it will slice through you as if you were butter and that was just tieing a hook on, think about what it could do if you put 30 to 100lbs of pressure behind it. You would have to use 50lb. test or greater or it would snap if the dog took off and if the dog got his paw wrapped around it before they took off then you got one serious cut, and fishing line cuts are like paper cuts, they are deep, easily infected and take a long time to heal. I would not recommend this method to anyone, a long lead rope is much safer.

Make sure you have his favorite treat with you, act like you're going to eat it if he don't come back then run away from him. If he doesn't come to you because he thinks you're going to eat his cookie he should come to you because he thinks you're going to leave him.

The first time off lead in public is always scary. Is there anyway you could take something to mark off an area he can't easily get out of.

:angel:

My sister got cut by a fishing line cuz these two boys were running along, dragging a really long piece behind them. They whipped right by my sister (she was only 2), and she got caught and cut her leg. The rope thing is a good idea, but I tried this at home, and he kept runnning back to me and then back out, that he and I were all tangled. We looked pretty hopeless and pathetic... :oops: I think I might put some treats in a crinkling bag, so that he can hear it. Thankds for all the advice guys!

Has any of your dogs "taken off" in a public area?

Freebee takes off everytime someone leaves the gate open, but I have been doing recall training with her and the last time she came straight back....If I can get her to come back first time every time I may take her to the local dog area. It's not fenced in, so I want to make sure she will come when I call her.

I have the same worry with Maya. I don't know if it's the Husky in her, but if she gets loose, she has WAY too much fun running around to come to me. I live a block from a lake, and I took Jackie swimming there last year. She comes when I call her, but I don't think I could trust Maya to not take off. And there's a fairly busy road by the lake. Maybe I'll try the long rope method with her this summer.

Daisy runs every chance she gets at home, but when we go to the park, she is wonderful. I allow her to run ahead, but she always turns and looks to me to see if I am coming :) Isn't that cute. When it is time to leave, we just change direction and I give her the come command, and I have never had a problem. I think she is just so happy to be there and leash-free, that she is just naturally well-behaved :lol:

Good luck :wink: