Dogomania

*sigh* puppies.

luckychaos

My neighbours dog had puppies a few week ago. I was walking by her house and she offered me a puppy (they were four weeks old!) I said no, I'd rather adopt a dog in need. I told her that there's so many dogs and puppies that need good homes and she should get April (her dog) spayed.
She said that she will, she just dosen't have the time now. Then she looked over at Lucky and Chaos and said "ooh there so beautiful! are you going to let them have puppies?"
Her dog is two years old now and I think she's had at least one litter before this one :x

She'll probally give the puppies away to the first people who walk along :x. She always lets the puppies and the mother out alone in the yard. And theres a hole in the fence leading to a field. I've seen the dog out there before with the women no where in sight and its near a road!
Luckily I haven't seen the puppies in the yard unsupervised YET.

I doubt this woman would care if I showed her that story or any other story. She's too involved with her own life to care about her dog's.
I tried telling her that there were so many dogs in the shelter already and you know what she said?! "I know, last time i went there to drop off the puppies from April's last litter, there were so many dogs there" :evil:
I had to walk away before I started screaming!

Try telling her that leaving April unneatuered could very well cause ovarian and uterine cancer, which requires LOTS of time at the vet and costs a WHOLE lot more than neutering.....

Stupid woman would probably just have April put down anyway if that happened, but it's worth a shot....

Guest Anonymous

Grr...That Woman! Cruela Devil, or what!? Maybe you should try to tell her about all the trouble she could be causing and why she should get her spayed! But, UGH! That's So Nerve-Wracking! :x :evil:

:cry: I don't think anything I said would matter anyway. She probally WOULD have April put down :( and just get a new dog. Really nice dog too. Sometimes I'll find her sitting in the empty field and when I pet her she's sooooo happy. I don't think she gats much attention.

[quote name='Prairie_Gurl']Uggh!!! People like that make me sooo mad!!! I'd give u advise... but u probably want to keep on good terms with your neighbors (sp?). He he.[/quote]
What kind of advice? Actually I don't really care about being on good terms unless the people are nice. And the lady's hardly ever home anyway.

You're my kind of person, lucky!!!

Well, what I would do is when the lady's not at home take her dog (I get the impression she leaves it outside a lot) to the vet and get it neutered... if the vet'll let you. Sometimes they require permission. That always sucks. My friend makes vet appointments for the dogs, then pays half the price of the surgury... but I'm not sure how much (if any) you wanna spend on the dog.

And if you are absolutally sure that the lady ain't gonna give the puppies' to good homes than (depends on if she wants a certain amount of $$ for each pup), offer to give her like, what? $50, for the pups (or at least two) and either bring them to the humain society, a shelter, or someone who'll make sure they get good homes (like yourself *smile*)

Or, you could take her dog(s) to the pound (so she has to pay $$ to get them out) or to the shelter.

** each of my suggestions has major faults, but they're just suggestions. And I don't know what they do in your area, so yea know. Even if you can't do anything... isn't it nice to dream that you can?? ***

Prairie, I agree with you in sentiment, but there's a problem with this plan.
If Lucky takes the dog off the woman's property for any reason without permission, it's theft. If she finds April off property in the field, that's different. Then I would call the police or animal control and tell them this
dog is off property all the time, and there are puppies to consider as well.
She is not a responsible owner, obviously, and maybe the local shelter or animal control would take her away and find her a good home....

Other than that, there are no laws (unfortunately!!!) about letting your dog breed randomly.

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='Prairie_Gurl']
And if you are absolutally sure that the lady ain't gonna give the puppies' to good homes than (depends on if she wants a certain amount of $$ for each pup), offer to give her like, what? $50, for the pups (or at least two) and either bring them to the humain society, a shelter, or someone who'll make sure they get good homes (like yourself *smile*)[/quote]
She's giving the puppies away FREE and thats even more worring cause you never know who just happens to be walking along. If people don't have to pay for somthing they get pretty weird ideas. Also the closest shelter to where she lives would be animal control, and they have a very high kill rate. If I could i would take ALL the puppies home. I might be able to find GOOD people to adopt a few though. (theres only 6 out of 8 left.)
[quote name='Prairie_Gurl']
Or, you could take her dog(s) to the pound (so she has to pay $$ to get them out) or to the shelter. [/quote]
That actually might be a good idea, If I take her to the humane society which is about 45 mins away. Before even finding the owner of the animal they spay or neuter it. They dog tries to follow me anyway so I can say that I found her.

I'll tell you a story about a person( no names )who had new neighbours move in with two little maltese dog .The dogs were free to roam around because as the owner said they were settling in , well one of the neighbours were chasing these dogs home (they used to chase the livestock) and as the dog run onto the road on the way home one got hit by a car and died .Less than a week later they had a new puppy of the same breed the puppy was only 8 weeks old and it was following the older one down the road only days after having arrived , So one of the neighbours managed to catch the puppy and found a wonderful caring home for it (where it is much loved and looked after ) I can only assume the neighbours got the hint as they never saw their dogs outside the fence again 8)

That would make me insane. What a doofus. In addition, 4 weeks is way too early to be separating the puppies and the mother. I have heard at least 6 weeks. If the puppies actually survive to adult hood, they can also develop a myriad of socialization problems. Not only is is adding to the population but she is potentially adding dogs with irreparable behavioral problems to boot.

I vote to spay the neighbor. The world has enough idiots.

:x I hate to hear about this lady and I hate to say that the best action to take is to take her to the humane society you spoke about, drop her off as a stray. Let them know that if no one claims her you would like to keep her. Here's the trick. After the stitches have healed, and most hair has grown back, drop her off in front of her home. I bet this women never notices that she was ever spayed, besides sounds like she doesn't really care anything about being responsible or ethical. Dropping pups off at the pound, adopting them out to whoever, wherever at 4 weeks old. Personally I don't think she should be able to reproduce either. :angel:

Guest Anonymous

Well the first idea is ok except for the fact that if the dog is purebred and she finds out she could sue you. Why even tell the vet that it is not your dog? Just tell them it is yours. How about,Now this is a better idea Why don't you just offer to pay to have her spayed? Also it is illegal to steal a dog so if one of the other neighbors gets nosy and calls the police then away you go. Why would you say that you would rather adopt a dog in need? Don't you realize that those puppies will soon be in need and end up at the pound?

The last idea was kind of dumb. What if the shelter deems her unadoptable or they decide to euthanize her? Then she will Die! Think, think, think ok?

They spay or neuter it before finding the owner? That is Insane!!!!!! what if the dog had been a Gr.Ch. working titled OFA'd etc ..and had been stolen from the original owners home by someone who broke in and then the theif had dumped it or it had finally escaped? I would literally kill them if they did that to my dog if I didn't I would Sue the pants of off the Humane Society if the dog had had a chance at the Westminster dog show he could have won a ton of money and been a very big asset to the breed some Humane societies should be burned to the ground.

:D Happy news! I talked to the lady again about spaying her dog and she said she was so sick of the puppies she would! as soon as all the pups are gone she's gonna have her spayed. As for the puppies theres only 3 left.
I only found someone to adopt one of the puppies. One of my friends from school just lost their dog to cancer and convinced her parents to let her get one of the puppies. Only two more to go.