Dogomania

HORROR STORYS

mouseatthebusstop

When Paddy and Gladis were young puppies they were very good and only chewed their own things. As they got older we could leave them with the whole of downstairs while we were out. They have never been left for more than 4 hours. At ten month one of them pulled the cushons off the couch and chewed a hole in it. for a few weeks the living room door was closed while we went out. Then yesterday same thing happened again with a different cushon

Guest Anonymous

Could there have maybe been a change that is suddenly making them "act up" like that? If not, I can't see why their good behavior has suddenly gone down hill :-?

Guest Anonymous

Oh, I just now read the post that said we should start a discussion on "horror Stories"... now the title of this makes sence!
Der, I should start reading ALL of the topics on here... although then I'm sure I'd be on here for AGES! LOL :lol: :roll:

One of my girls got the toothpaste tube from the bathroom sink while I was out. I usually leave the bathroom door open but put the trash basket in my room with that door closed. Luckily there was VERY little toothpaste left but both girls had toothpaste in their fur. The tube was chewed pretty badly. Guess they DO like fresh mint flavor after all.
The very next morning, I was off work. I went to the grocery store, was only gone about 35 minutes. I forgot to put the baby gate in the kitchen doorway, came home to trash all over the living room.
I've been wondering, it's been pretty cold lately, perhaps my little princess does not want to go outside so she's being destructive in the house.
I'm taking a refresher course in shutting doors, blocking kitchen, putting things away etc. :D

My mom did not like animals in particular, especially in the house. She was WAY too neat fo that. When we were kids, we kept badgering our dad to get us a dog. (Mine was immovable)..Finally he gave in and told my mom he was getting us a dog.

She told him to get a "shedless" one, poodle or terrier, something like that.

So he went to the breeder where I had worked over the summer, and came home with a 3 month old GOLDEN RETRIEVER!! (Shedless? lol)

He and the breeder had been planning this for some time, I found out later. That pup, although purebred, was neither stud nor show quality.
I had fallen in love with him and asked if I could work off his price.
He had called my dad and that's how it all got arranged.

Anywa, he pulls up in the station wagon and lets the golden out of the car, and he promptly throws up on the front yard...never did like cars, that dog...My mom just about fainted......lol

throughout his years he:

Chewed up the legs on the piano bench
Peed on the Christmas Tree
Managed to get out and wander around the neighborhood at least once a month, putting us all in a panic to find him. We'd come back and find him laying on the front porch, looking miffed that we werent there to let him in....
ate part of the carpeting (something spilled not noticed?)
sorted through the laundry, found something he liked and would sleep on it
whether it was clean or not was irrelevant....he'd pull clean clothes off the dryer, too.

Not really horror stories to me, but my mom would swear up and down she would never have another animal in her house.....

lol

I have 2 stories.

I left my female Catahoula in the car with a box of Raspberry filled Powdered donuts. Mind you I was just outside the car talking to someone. When I got back in the car, I saw "red' on the seat. I thought, "Oh GREAT, she is in heat". That was when I noticed that the donut box was EMPTY. Upon closer inspection, there was red (raspberry) and powder ALL OVER, though mostly on the dog. BOY was she proud of herself. :D

I left my 11 yo female GSD in the van with a Lemon fruit pie and a whole unopened package of Nutter Butter cookies. When I went out to get them, ALL of it was gone. I HAD to laugh though since this WAS an 11yo dog that had NEVER done anything like this before. This was (honestly) a dog that you could leave in the car with a bucket of chicken and she wouldn't eat it. I guess she figured after 11 years, she deserved one "screw up". She never did it again either.

I forgot about the time last spring when I wasn't home. My BF had turned my bulls out in the pasture and sent Diva (My GSD) after them to get them to go out in the pasture instead of hanging around up by the house. The last time he saw her she was clear out in the pasture still moving the bulls. He called her but got no response. So he jumped in the truck (the whole time thinking "OH CRAP I lost her dog". {I have had the dog for 6 months longer than I have had my BF.}) Anyway he went to look for her and couldn't find her. So he comes back home and she is laying on the porch like "What is your problem". If he hadn't told me I never would have known. :lol:

:o Too funny - but not funny when you're going through it! My niece has a beagle mix who ate their couch cushion, he suffers from separation anxiety. She works at home too, but it didn't save her couch!

We have had a chewer! Yogi would chew on anything made of wood. Let's see, he chewed 4 kitchen chairs so badly they had to be thrown away, he chewed the decorative legs of two wing backed chairs, the chewed the woodwork at the base of two separate doorways, he even chewed the front edge of a wooden step. He was adopted from a shelter and I think had not gotten enough to eat at his previous "home". He ate plenty, but had developed a taste for wood and a habit of chewing. :evil:

Ben our saint went through a "little" separation anxiety when we first adopted him. He broke through a big screen window and jumped a tall chain link fence when we went to the store to get some dog supplies (why one of us didn't stay home I just don't know...stupid, stupid, stupid). We got back and were frantic with worry. About one hour later we got a phone call from our neighbor that he stopped by to visit. What a relief! To this day, he continues to want to be where his people are. He has broken through a total of 6 screens so far. I've gotten pretty good at rescreening. We have to close windows when we are away for any length of time.

Another horror story is having a very sick saint. When our first saint went into his decline due to nerve damage in his back he couldn't keep anything down. It was truly horrific. He threw up over and over until I thought I would lose my mind. After his sudden demise I vowed never to get another saint. Of course I have Ben now, but he is a healthy guy. Wiley was a rescued dog and was unwell from the very beginning. Poor fella.. :cry:

Other than the above I've been pretty lucky!

Blitz ran away the first night we got him. We went out to get food and by the time we came back he had got out from what WAS a secure yard (he bent a steel gate and squeezed past it). He crossed the freeway, railway line, creek, and two major roads to end up at the high school playing with some kids who had responded to our LOST DOG ads we'd frantically put up. This is all in the space of 12 hours. :roll: He still likes to escape and go gallivanting about, he is a real Houdini despite our best efforts. He always comes back though (never mind giving us all heart failure) and barks at the front door to be let in.
We would often come home from school to see the contents of the garage spread across the backyard. Everything that was in there had been chewed up- books, toys, boxes... If the rubbish bin was full that'd be tipped over (and it's one of those big green council bins, about 4ft high) and sorted out. He would play with the axe ie. pick it up by its wooden handle and swing it around the backyard, and on sunny days he would drag it up onto the outside table and sunbake while chewing on the handle contentedly. Once he bailed a possum up a tree and barked and squeaked at it for hours. We had to drag him away from the tree to let the possum get away and then he went back down the yard in the pouring rain and stayed there till morning waiting for it to come back. He barks at any blimps that go past in the sky and he barks at thunderstorms, he will stay out all night barking at it until it goes away, once it does he feels as though he scared it off and goes to sleep very satisifed. I had a sleepover once and the 4 of us stayed in the loungeroom (where BK can see in from outside) and even though he'd been put to bed he stayed at the back door and whinged the whole night wanting to come in and play with us, he didn't stop until 8am when Dad got up and let him in and he promptly went to sleep IGNORING all of us that he'd been trying so hard to get to the night before.
I could go on but that's enough horror story fodder. :roll:

Guest Anonymous

This wasn't really a HORROR story... but was kina funna...
In grade 8, I was taking foods class (which I failed, I'm the WROST cook ever! :o ). I had to do my Food Review, and had almost finished it, when Hazel (who was about a year and a half at the time) decided she'd have a little snack! I came to school, approched my home ech. teacher and told her my "dog ate it" she laughed and rolled her eye (she only has one eye...) at me. I exclaimed "NO IT'S TRUE!" and had to SHOW her the remains of the shredded papper! After that she believed me, and did give me another one, but I guess since I was so bad at it, she though I was just makin up an excuse! LOL :lol:

THIS IS HILARIOUS!! I'm glad I suggested it, although it was just a thought.....

Keep the stories comin'!!

I've never met a dog owner without a "story" of something their dog did.

So, I'm changing the forum. We can still call it "horror stories" but GOOD stories are encouraged too!!

:D

I'm a natural troublemaker, y'know....

Hmmm, good stories... racking my brain... :P

In the mornings Dad used to send BK in to wake me up to go to school. He would jump on my bed, nudge me a few times and then curl up beside me. Dad would come in 10 minutes later to find both of us sound asleep. He started bringing me in a cup of coffee after that. :wink:

Peebo, one of my grandpa's dachshunds, leapt over a 2-3ft high gate (to keep him in bed in the laundry) to scare off a robber once (it worked). But he damaged his back so badly doing it, he had to be put down a few weeks later. :(

My stepdad's late German Shepherd, Greta, when my stepsiblings were young (before mum and him got together), would sit across the stairs so they couldn't fall down and hurt themselves. If they got too close she would nudge them with her nose, away from the edge. :angel:

OK since I suggested it - here's my "good story"

When Kyle (my son) was a baby, I used to put him in my room and let hin crawl on the floor while I was getting ready.

My cat (Isis) discovered early on that the door wouldnt close. the latch wouldnt kick in. One day, he opened the door and let himself in. leaving it open for Kyle to get out. I was in the bathroom, and he had never opened
it before when Kyle was in there.

Kyle crawled out, and headed for the stairs. Jarvis caught him on the edge of the stair and clamped his teeth on his "onesie" and wouldnt let go.

I heard the dog bark, and then Kyle cry, and came running out to see what had happened. Kyle was "punching" Jarvis with his little baby fists
and demanding to be let go. Jarvis held firm. I grabbed Kyle, praised Jarvis and gave him the dinner steaks as a reward.

He probably saved my sons life - it was a full set of stairs he was heading for......

I was a new mom, and never made that mistake again. We can only learn from them, I guess.......

Guest Anonymous

My Boo, an airedale terrier was about 6 months old and my husband was not too happy with all his chewing. Husband wasn't home and Boo got his favorite hat and chewed it to shreds. I jumped in the car and went shopping for a replacement hat. I didn't want him to know. I was in the Chicago area at the time. I searched store after store looking for that hat. Finally found one. Only problem they only had it in size small. I bought it anyway hoping he wouldn't notice. A few days later, husband put his hat on. He said "something is wrong, my head must be growing or something."I laughed and laughed and finally told him the truth. Lucky for us he thought it was very funny too.

When we first brought Kavik home we were keeping him in the kitchen with a baby gate when we went out. The cupboards were secure, he wasn't big enough to counter surf, all was well. Kavik grew and so did his determination. He was big enough that he probably could have climbed the gate but the thought just didn't occur to him. We were pleased.
One day we came home to find Kavik happily eating our remote (all males, no matter what species, want the remote.) Perplexed we went to examine the gate. Kavik had cleanly eaten a whole in the gate, it was very neat, all the rough edges had been trimmed away from the wood frame, no bits hanging or loose, it was directly in the corner of the gate and there was no damage to any other part of it. Even in destruction BCs are obsessive.

Guest Anonymous

Where to start?

We had only had Kenzo for a month:

1. He ate a whole bottle of prescription Immodium.
2. Got into a bag of Kit Kats (Halloween candy).
3. Found a way out of the fenced in yard MANY times...remember, Shibas are runners. Luckily, when I would call his name, he came RUNNING back as if he missed me SOOO much!
4. Left to go shopping for a few hours and felt guilty leaving him alone. Took him to my sisters so she could "baby sit" him. He pee'd on her Christmas tree.

Hmmm....in 5 days I lost three pairs of shoes...

Lost many cups, tupperware, etc.

Had to change what was our primary "front door" do to their wanting to escape...and their capability to escape. :roll:

Can not EVEN leave a garbage bag in their reach or we will come home to hell......

Just bought my husband "The Patriot" DVD...with in DAYS it was destroyed.

They are still worth it though. My babies....can't live with out them!

Lets see, when Ivan was growing up we lost several things to his teeth. The Nightmare Before Christmas, half the tape was just plain gone. Half of the couch, (hmmmm a Dalamtian Attention Deficit Disorder thing maybe?) the entire side off of the garage in one 20 minute time frame. Well it was the siding not the wall. Many food items. When he wanted to play he'd swipe at you with his paw like a cat. SO there I am grabbing a videotape from the floor and he comes up and smacks my back, oh the pain of the scratches on my back. He put himself in time out for that one. I think it might have been my scream of pain.

On the other hand he did some pretty good things too. I came home late one night, everyone else was asleep and I was kind of ummm stumbly :drinking: . Both he and Phyllis ran downstairs barking and growling, Phyllis realized after a second or two of me talking that it was me, meanwhile Ivan is still sounding like a devil dog. I had no resort but to turn on the godawful flourescent light overhead. The first thing I see is Ivan in midair, hackles raised, teeth bared and snarling like a banshee. He gets this really confused "what the heck are you doing coming home so late" look on his face and goes from kill to love in the blink of an eye. He ended up knocking me down in a flurry of happy 90 pound dog relief. I never worried about our safety if someone were to break into the house after that!

Another time my dad and I took the kids for a walk. We had parked in the lot of a bar in the middle of nowhere while a softball game was going on. I had Phyills and headed back first, because she and I were both getting tired of trying to keep with Mr. Energy Ivan. (he was probably about 10 months old at the time.) Of course since we were in the middle of nowhere, most of the people had never seen a real live Dalmatian before so people we coming up and admiring her, which she adored. And she was sitting in her usually dainty pose, one of her front paws delicately kind of lifted up. ( she was oh so feminine.) Well I was getting into a conversation with somebody and was holding onto her leash with just the circle of my forefinger and thumb. Well I felt the leash start to vibrate so I tightened my grip just as she lunged at this huge, drunk guy who was doing the whole oh baby why dont we go somewhere hehehe. The woman I had been talking to was all like " Well I wanted a Dalmatian, but not if they are viscious." Uh lady she was protecting me. Before that guy and after there must have been 30 people that came up to pet her and she was perfectly fine. A queen allowing her adoring public to greet her. A few days later on the news, I saw the guy again, he was wanted for a rape and assault that occured a few hours after I encountered him!

Our dogs adored people and were total attention hogs, other than those stories, I never saw them be aggressive to anyone.

Thank you Carol - he was a GOOD DOG - always! (well, except for chewing up the cabinet - lol)

The breeder I used to work for said that he thought alcohol interfered with the dogs ability to "scent" you - because the smell is so overwhelming to their delicate noses....so that may be why you werent recognized right away Hillside. He said he thought that only the "nosers" (bloodhounds and the like) could get by it naturally because of their ability to train on a scent from a shirt or hat or something, and remember only that scent while they were hunting. He also said that dogs are suspicious of people who smell
like alcohol, for that reason. They want to know WHO YOU ARE, right now!
lol

I have read other stories, too, that dogs can instinctively tell "bad" people by their scent...and will react if they feel themselves or their "pack" threatened. I dont know how true that is.

Keep the stories comin'!!!

:D

Guest Anonymous

Court! That's a GREAT story! What a smart dog!

Here's a story about my Blue Boy...
Blue, (our old Lab) use to follow us to school EVERY day for the first 11 years of his life! Of course constantly we'd be taking him home, but after a while we stopped. He would follow us (I say "us" as in my sis's and I) around the play ground, and when we were in class, he'd go and lay in front of the window for a while at each of our classes!
He was a great dog, never had ANY bear problems at the school once Blue was there, he'd keep them away. We had a lot of fun with him at school, the teachers liked him so much, he was even allowed to sit in the classroom sometimes!! Or else the teacher would open the door (in the summer time) and Blue would lay out there on the picnic table and watch us through the open door! :lol: I last visited my old Elm school about a 2 years ago, had a great time laughing because in all the school photo's there's my puggy little Black Lab! :D
Anyway, one day I was called to the office after school... Found my mom sitting there, and our principal was telling her we needed to keep Blue home from then on. He told us "Don't get me wrong, I love Blue, the kids love him, and he keeps the bears away, but we can't have him doing stuff like that again!" I was confused, so when we left the office, I asked mom what happened. She told me that the Health Inspecter came to the school that day, and since the three of us girls were in the school, Blue PINNED The Health Inspecter against the door, growling and snapping in his face! :o I say good boy because he was trying to protect us, yet it's a good thing that all the health inspecter ordered was for Blue to not be at the school anymore!!
But of course, nothing can keep a determined dog at home... and I mean NOTHING! Blue tried EVERYTHING after that to go to the school! He even chewed two brass door knobs up!! :o

BEAR problems??? where the heck Are you?? LOL

Jarvis always considered Kyle HIS problem...since he was born.

He was so overprotective it used to annoy me, until the stair incident.

Then I let his instincts take charge, and all turned out well.

There were a few moments....some old man stopped on the sidewalk and patted Kyle on the head (WHY do they do that?) and it sent Jarv into a tizzy... he leaped over the fence and charged and I had to tackle him to stop him...NOW I have a 6-foot fence to prevent that kind of thing....

He loved Kyle, and would never allow anyone to hurt him. Even the landlord came up against his wrath. Kyle was laying in a baby seat on
the couch when the landlord came by, Jarvis was on the floor beneath
him. The landlord reached over to "tickle" him (be it known I DID NOT
like this man) and found his hand up against a nasty set of snarling teeth.... I dont know if the landlord was "bad" (I would have said yes, if asked) or if Jarvis was just being his usual overprotective self....or if he felt my distrust... but the landlord pulled his hand away (Jarvis never bit..
his demeanor was enough to make people pull away) and said "you need a rope on that dog..." to which I answered "DONT touch my kid....then it WONT be an issue....."

It's funny - in every other respect he was as gentle as they come. Only Kyle could make him get that protective....

One more note on Jarvis and then I'll shut up

When Kyle got old enough to roller blade, and Jarv was getting up there in years too, he used to put Jarv on his leash and have him pull him around the block on his 'blades....It was SO FUNNY - to see the two of them screaming down the sidewalk, Jarv running and Kyle holding on the leash...

Kyle would come blading by me, throw me Jarv's leash, and then
let the momentum carry him down the sidewalk....

Jarv would sit down and wait for him to blade back - we COULD NOT go in until he returned.....

Guest Anonymous

HAHHA! I told my friend that you were like "BEAR problems??? where the heck Are you?? LOL " and she just started cracking up! LOL Cuz we live in SUCH a small town in the middle of no where! LOL even when we DO say where we live, people always reply "where?! :-? " LOL
awe! Yeah, my Aussie + use to pull me on my roller blades, it's a lot of fun! Then when I got Hazel, and took up Skateboarding, she now pulls me on my board! It's GREAT!