Dogomania

Oh looky a RARE breed!

Hobbit

Guest Anonymous

Very funny!!!

Very rare for a lab to point. Very rare for any dog to point, I mean, BK was just caught pointing! A dog should NOT point, so yes, this is RARE and a GREAT Christmas gift! :roll:

:o Pointing is RUDE??

Oh dear.

What shall I do?

I have been giving out treats for pointing. Especially with the middle toe, which is a DIGIT Hobbit, don't you know anything. I am a dog trainer after all. I also give an extra treat for pointing while dancing.

I do not, however, allow dogs to be dogs. I know better!!!!! :wink:

Ms. C

Amazing! There have been whippets here since the year dot :lol: I have known personally a number of show breeders, have done a bit of study of the breed when I was going for my Hound judging licence and honestly have never heard of any mention of Long Hair. Maybe it's a deep dark secret in the Whippet world :o . I'm going to do a bit of delving here in Aussie, see if there is anything hidden in the closet :roll:
Thanks Stargaze.

Hang on Stargaze, I'm not knocking your dog or any other breed, be it pure or cross. Since I have been on this forum I am always looking up breeds we have never heard of here in Australia, be they in USA or anywhere. As there has never been, to my knowledge, long haired whippets in Australia, my comment was meant as surprize that there were long hairs. So I sincerely apologise if you took it the wrong way.
I went to a site with the long hairs and thought they were lovely, I love coated dogs, where I live now it's too hot for them. I would like to see a lot of the breeds we don't have here, in the flesh.

I was about to post back after looking at the site to say how nice they looked, but you beat me to it. I think if you read my previous posts, you will see I was not knocking any dogs, but believe me I'll be VERY careful how I word things in future.

[quote name='StarGaze']Do you know I can't even course her because of her coat? Most are AKC related. They won't even let her do what they are breed to do because of her looks. There's more to it than looks, dogs need to do what they are meant to do. She can't, just because of the length of her hair and the name. [/quote]

I agree,it IS sad that your dog can't compete in what she's bred to do. It's not like you're going to show her, but coursing (that's the name, yes?) isn't something where her coat should matter, but more her ability. Stupid AKC! What sort of reasons do they give for that? I can't imagine that her coat would interfere with the other dogs, or give her an advantage...?

[quote name='StarGaze']Do you know I can't even course her because of her coat? Most are AKC related. They won't even let her do what they are breed to do because of her looks. There's more to it than looks, dogs need to do what they are meant to do. Of course, chasing a lure isn't exactly what they are meant to do, but it's the next best thing. She can't, just because of the length of her hair and the name. It's sad.

Connie[/quote]

Connie, why on earth do you and other's put up with AKC's crap? AKC is not a GOD, they are NOT the last resort. Just because a dog isn't registered with the almighty AKC, doesn't mean it's worthless.

I will not duck the fire on this one. Just do the math and you'll see how much money the AKC makes on registering dogs, on their DNA testing (because they won't allow another lab to do the analysis), their shows, etc... it's a multi-million dollar business. If there was absolutely no money in it, do you really think they'd still be in business?

I am so amazed that everyone is so neuter/spay pro-voiced, but AKC won't allow a neutered or spayed dog to compete ---- what does that tell you? If AKC was so "let's not over populate the world", then they should allow neutered and spayed dogs to compete alongside the intact ones. AND an AKC breeder/owner/shower should do whatever it took to get this rule changed. That was a little off topic.

Okay, why don't owners of the LH Whippet just ban together and tell AKC to kiss your butt and start holding your own shows, coursing trials, whatevers?

This is just opinion, but I'm sick and tired of (some) AKC owners and their smug attitudes about their "AKC-better-than-thou" dogs. And their look-down-their-nose expression at a non-AKC registered dog.

It shouldn't matter if the dog was registered. If it's a good dog and it's your pet and you love it; that is all that matters. Just by looking, without asking, a person can't tell if a dog has papers or not or what registry he/she is registered with ----- the dog doesn't care either.

[quote name='Hobbit']I am so amazed that everyone is so neuter/spay pro-voiced, but AKC won't allow a neutered or spayed dog to compete ---- what does that tell you? If AKC was so "let's not over populate the world", then they should allow neutered and spayed dogs to compete alongside the intact ones. AND an AKC breeder/owner/shower should do whatever it took to get this rule changed.[/quote]

LOVE THIS!!!! 8) That's the whole thing that annoys me about registries such as the AKC, VCA etc. Why should you not be allowed to show your dog if it's been spayed or neutered? We can do agility and obedience with neutered and crossbred dogs, but there should be some sort of showing competition set up for those of us who DON'T want to add to the overpopulated pet world. It's all about money, I know, it's very sad. :x