Dogomania

Food!

yellowlabsrule

What do you feed your dog?  

1. 1. What do you feed your dog?

How old is Winni??? Has he eaten a lot of bones before? Maybe its only because his gums weren't used to chewing through bones, or maybe the bones were too hard?
There are alot of variations to BARF, I wouldn't exactly call it a 'recipe'. My dogs aren't entirely on BARF as I can't afford it at the moment (oh, but I do start working tomorrow!!!! :D ). My dogs basically get their dry food, plus chicken necks and grated vegetables. Tessa only occasionally gets that, but Lily gets a big bowl of it every day and she's so healthy and shiney...
Before starting on BARF you do have to do alot of research though to make sure your dog doesn't get any deficiencys etc. If you want to know more I could reccomend a forum :wink:

I feed Mary Wellness Super5Mix Chicken. She also gets whatever fresh veggies I am cooking with dinner that night, and one kong filled with rollover everyday.

I have researched both sides of barf and decided against it. I am not confident I know what to give her, and the bacteria and splintering of bones makes me weary. All natural kibble is a very good alternative!

My dogs are totally BARF fed. I buy their morning meal of chicken backs by the 40# case ($20) but, as far as the bones go, they also get turkey necks, chicken necks and pork necks. Their evening meal is a "BARF meatball" that I make myself. It has ground beef, chicken and/or beef liver, beef heart, egg, ground dried eggshells, chicken gizzard/heart, veggies, supplements and anything else interesting that I feel like throwning into the mix.

• 1 month later...

My dogs get a mixture of kibble and homemade "stew" made from ground beef, diced potatoes, and chopped celery and carrots. I cook the beef, add a little water, then toss in the cut vegetables and simmer till tender. The boys like it and it has reduced flatulence! Max's coat has really improved since adding this to his diet. The cost is more than canned food would be, but the boys eat much better with the stew. I can make a week's supply at a time saved in glad bowls and put in the freezer. Then it's simple to microwave and mix with the dry food. Max would eat his meat raw, but Ben prefers it cooked. The boys also get meat scraps-not gristle or anything gross-from the table. :eating: