Dogomania

Cat litter and dogs....

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hey guys...been away enjoying our new additon to our family - hope to have pics soon (just need to develop them) :lol: ...OKAY...here's the problem...
Has anyone heard of, or HAD a dog that because there is cat litter in the house will "go" near it or at least in the same room if it has been used by a cat...Ripley (2 yr old pure golden) is fully housetrained, but sems to think that because the cat litter is in the basement it is a good place to do his thing sometimes when I am at work... At first we thought it was the scent of Jazz,but I scoured the basement and everything was fine for two days (I had also cleaned the litter out) and then BOOM come home from work to a new brown "loveseat" at the bottom of the stairs. :x
A friend suggested maybe it is the scent of the cat box that is making him think that this is where he is supposed to go when he is in the house....
Im open to comments.....oh yeah, and how do we fix this (assuming this is the problem)... :-?
EBBY

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry can't really help, never had cats :o . Maybe it is a territorial thing? I think that might be more likely than the scent of the cat box making him "go", or at least the scent is a trigger in his brain to say "hang on, that's not MY scent, I'll have to fix that!" Does he wee in there as well?

I would move the cat litter box to somewhere the dog can't get near it. Most dogs will feast on 'cat crunchies" they just love them. Has this been happening??

I think your dog is marking as he can smell the cat pee. Is your dog desexed?? if not then that is definitely what is happening I would say.
Maybe he thinks you have set up a brand new toilet facility in the room, sort of like an ensuite bathroom for him.

Guest Anonymous

No, he isnt desexed and the cat litter is already "hiding" behind a couch since our 2 yr old son thought it was a sandbox for his dump trucks!!! :-?

Not sure what else to say (or do). He is a relatively new dog to our house, so maybe he is still marking... but if he isn't...... The breeder we got him from was contacted and she said thats the ONE problem she NEVER had with him....we are also thinking maybe because his diet changed - so we are buying a bag of the food she fed him to see if that makes a difference in control......you never know...and at this point Im willing ot try anything...
OH YEAH - one other thing - this has NEVER happened when Im home - only when I am at work :mad: .....if that matters ....
EBBY

Guest Anonymous

He is alone 2 1/2 hours in the morning and 3 in the afternoon. He is fed in between my shifts and he usually only craps at night before bed.
He NEVER has a problem through the night...and this dog was on a 23 hour flight accross the country a year and a half ago and didnt mess in the crate....
Im at a loss....
EBBY

Guest Anonymous

Id rather not. There is a lot of interest in using him as a stud. And it was one of the things that attracted us to him - the fact that we could recoup some of the money we spent on him with stud fees.

[quote name='EBBY']Id rather not. There is a lot of interest in using him as a stud. And it was one of the things that attracted us to him - the fact that we could recoup some of the money we spent on him with stud fees.[/quote]

I can't help it. I wasn't going there; my lips were sealed~~~>> :o , but...

A lot of interest in studding him out? Earlier you were asking how you could generate interest and find da hos, errrrr I mean the bitches for him. If there was soooo much interest in him, you wouldn't have to come to a dog forum and ask how to find him a mate.

The thing that broke my silence is "recoup some of the money we spent on him..." Nothing p*sses me off worse than someone making a dog "earn its keep." If everyone thought like that, none of us would have our dogs spayed or neutered. No, we'd all just be breeding them to death trying to recoup some of the money we have tied up in them. My Lab recently had hip surgery. That was pretty expensive. Maybe I should have bred him to recover that. My Standard Poodle who, by the way, is descended from a Westminster BIS champion.... he's having major stomach surgery in a couple of weeks. Maybe I should have kept him intact so that I could recover some of what THAT is going to cost me and, hey, while I'm thinking about it, that adoption fee was pretty hefty. You know how those rescues are only in it for the money n' stuff. I tried to stay out of it when you DUMPED your first dog in favor of this one (justify it any way you want, but a spade is a spade) and then I saw you post on another thread about how you feel about your responsibility for your dogs and, gosh, that's a responsibility you take SERIOUSLY. I'm wondering how long it will be before you dump this dog if he doesn't stop peeing in the house. Nope, I tried to stay out of this, but you just keep throwing this trash out there and I cannot continue to sit back and be oblivious to such blatant irresponsibility. Again, justify it any way you wish, but a spade is still a spade.

Good luck with your money maker. Good reason to breed a dog. The term backyard breeder doesn't ONLY apply to people with bitches.

Take it any way you want to.

Guest Anonymous

you are adorable!
Firstly, I posted the ad regarding how to meet people wanting to use himBEFORE the breeder informed me she already had some people lined up who were interested in him.
Secondly - you can call spades whatever you want but I had a neighbour THREATEN Jazz because of his barking and he was only rehomed for his own well being....if I hadnt rehomed him and he had been (god forbid) poisoned or something you would have been on here blaming me for his death for not thinking of him first and rehoming him when the old man threatened him harm....
THIRDLY, Jazz had accidents in our house a few times and it never occured to me to rehome him until he was threatened. So no, Rip isnt going anywhere.
AND YES if there is opportunity to make back the mega bucks this dog cost me and the MEGA BUCKS I lost in finding Jazz a good home and not SELLING him even for what he cost us when we bought him (not ignoring the ruined furniture he ate, the ruined carpet he had 'accidents' on when he wasnt feeling well, the leather jacket he used as a chew toy, the scratches he left on the side of our BRAND NEW van when he wanted to go for a car ride etc etc - the list is a lot longer if you include the kids toys they left laying around) then YES I will stud him out....for petes sake, what do you think he was doing before I bought him? With his pedigree the breeder I bought him from made much more off of him than it cost her to purchase him and fly him out here....he has a family now and he is loved and cared for...and if I want to allow a breeder to buy some of his sperm so be it....call me what you want but you dont know me or my animals.

AND this is supposed to be a forum for information right? Well, I've never thought of allowing my dogs to be used for breeding purposes before and I think I have as much right as anyone else around here to ask how to go about doing it....WITHOUT being judged for inquiring. You all complain about other forums and how they treat people....HORSEFEATHERS, perhaps you should consider going to those other forums - your attitude would fit in well there....MOST people on here have been informative and helpful. THAT is what my understanding of this forum was. And quite frankly, if you spent [b]$2000 [/b]on a dog (like we just did) and found that breeders were interested in him can you HONESTLY say you wouldnt go there? WHATEVER!!!
FYI - Jazz wasnt SOLD because of all the people inquiring about him, I felt it was worth it to HIM and the one family that I felt would give him the best home and the most attention if it wasnt a "business deal". I wasnt rehoming him for financial gain or even to make back what we had lost, I was rehoming him because I loved him and was afraid for his safety.
WE ARE NOT afraid for this ones safety for three reasons...he is an inside dog who doesnt go out without myself or my husband, he has been trained not to eat anything given him by anyone other than his owners AND he doesnt bark. Jazz on the other hand had a very thick coat, preffered the outdoors the majority of the time, ate everything in sight and barked constantly.
PLEASE dont accuse me of 'dumping' my dog. It killed me that he had to go...but I have been to where he is since (just up the road) and he is in a good home and he is very very happy. If I didnt love him as much as I do, he would still be here despite the threats. I couldve kept him on the off chance nothing was going to happen, but what if it did, WHO is responsible then? YOU HORSEFEATHERS? Would YOU take responsibility for his death or terrible illness? If this was you horsefeathers, I'd hate to see what your poor dog would go through if he was hurt because YOU had a point to prove....
It is my choice whether or not to desex my dog.

Guest Anonymous

I have to say that I have read the posts here and have gone back and read the ones reffered to herein and I find it apalling that someone in this forum can't post without being "beaten up" by another member. It sounds as though a simple question was taking way to far by a reader who felt they had the right to attack when they [b]don't[/b].
No one that cares enough for their animals to come online and inquire for their health, safety and general well being deserves to be attacked for doing something that is so obviously hard for them to do in the first place and was only done for the well being of the animal. I hope for Ebby's sake that at least some of you were supportive because they obviously found giving their dog up to be a hard thing to do. From the readings I gather that their reason for 'rehoming' their dog, as they put it, was not in favour of a new one, but out of fear for the animal's safety. I cant say I would have done any different.
And honestly, if I bought a $2000 dog I would hope to breed it as well. They arent raising the puppies, they arent selling them to pet stores. They simply want to allow breeders the opportunity to use him if they have interest - their reasons are besides the point-what is any breeders reasons? There is nothing wrong with that if they are providing a loving and caring environment for the animal. And anyone who would part with an animal they obviously love for the animal's well being - despite how much it hurts them cannot be providing an unhealthy environment for animals if you ask me. Any breeders out there do not know what happens to ALL of their puppies. Look in other sections of this forum where pictured of mutilated dogs are and tell me you are all 100% sure that has never happened to ANY of your bred animals. And isnt EVERY breeder doing what they do for profit? It is rare, NO practically unheard of, to find a breeder who is breeding simply to keep the breed going.
In my opinion Ebby is doing nothing wrong and anyone who is willing to 'beat up' another member of this post in public forum had better look after their own animals before attacking someone else who is so obviously an animal lover and caring owner.

[quote name='EBBY']you are adorable!
Firstly, I posted the ad regarding how to meet people wanting to use himBEFORE the breeder informed me she already had some people lined up who were interested in him. [b]But you STILL came here originally looking for a mate for him... which speaks volumes for your intentions.[/b]
Secondly - you can call spades whatever you want but I had a neighbour THREATEN Jazz because of his barking and he was only rehomed for his own well being....if I hadnt rehomed him and he had been (god forbid) poisoned or something you would have been on here blaming me for his death for not thinking of him first and rehoming him when the old man threatened him harm.... [b]Want to talk about barking and neighbors? My neighbors are as crappy as neighbors come, but I have EIGHT yapping, barking, obnoxious dogs that stay INSIDE when I can't monitor them.[/b]
THIRDLY, Jazz had accidents in our house a few times and it never occured to me to rehome him until he was threatened. So no, Rip isnt going anywhere.
AND YES if there is opportunity to make back the mega bucks this dog cost me and the MEGA BUCKS I lost in finding Jazz a good home and not SELLING him even for what he cost us when we bought him (not ignoring the ruined furniture he ate, the ruined carpet he had 'accidents' on when he wasnt feeling well, the leather jacket he used as a chew toy, the scratches he left on the side of our BRAND NEW van when he wanted to go for a car ride etc etc - the list is a lot longer if you include the kids toys they left laying around) then YES I will stud him out....for petes sake, what do you think he was doing before I bought him? With his pedigree the breeder I bought him from made much more off of him than it cost her to purchase him and fly him out here....he has a family now and he is loved and cared for...and if I want to allow a breeder to buy some of his sperm so be it....call me what you want but you dont know me or my animals. [b]And where were YOU when these grievances occurred that the dog was ultimately evicted for?[/b]

AND this is supposed to be a forum for information right? Well, I've never thought of allowing my dogs to be used for breeding purposes before and I think I have as much right as anyone else around here to ask how to go about doing it....WITHOUT being judged for inquiring. You all complain about other forums and how they treat people....HORSEFEATHERS, perhaps you should consider going to those other forums - your attitude would fit in well there [b]I've not said a word about other forums, first thing, and TRUST ME, from the pm's I've gotten, I'm not the only one cringing at what you are doing... I'm just the only one who SPOKE it[/b]....MOST people on here have been informative and helpful. THAT is what my understanding of this forum was. And quite frankly, if you spent [b]$2000 [/b]on a dog (like we just did) and found that breeders were interested in him can you HONESTLY say you wouldnt go there? WHATEVER!!![b]I know enough not to spend $2000 on a dog with no clue as to what to do with him once I got him, but yeah, I can say I'd certainly NOT go there. Again, one of my dogs came from a MAJOR show kennel with an awesome background and STILL ended up in a rescue.[/b]
FYI - Jazz wasnt SOLD because of all the people inquiring about him, I felt it was worth it to HIM and the one family that I felt would give him the best home and the most attention if it wasnt a "business deal". I wasnt rehoming him for financial gain or even to make back what we had lost, I was rehoming him because I loved him and was afraid for his safety.[b]Is this the dog you had one home lined up for, that didn't work out, so you let your vet's office find him a home? That was you, right?[/b]
WE ARE NOT afraid for this ones safety for three reasons...he is an inside dog who doesnt go out without myself or my husband, he has been trained not to eat anything given him by anyone other than his owners AND he doesnt bark. Jazz on the other hand had a very thick coat, preffered the outdoors the majority of the time, ate everything in sight and barked constantly [b]I have EIGHT dogs with various "issues." Almost ALL of them are rescues from people who dumped (or whatever word you prefer) them. Want to talk about barking and neighbors? Bring 'em on.[/b]
PLEASE dont accuse me of 'dumping' my dog [b]A spade is still a spade[/b]. It killed me that he had to go...but I have been to where he is since (just up the road) and he is in a good home and he is very very happy. If I didnt love him as much as I do, he would still be here despite the threats. I couldve kept him on the off chance nothing was going to happen, but what if it did, WHO is responsible then? YOU HORSEFEATHERS? Would YOU take responsibility for his death or terrible illness? [b]Actually, you're d@amn right I'm responsible. It's why I've chosen to keep them safe with me and out of trouble. With my eight obnoxious barking brats, there is nothing anyone can tell me about ONE barking dog that would make me believe it was bad enough to get rid of it if it's not what you wanted to do, anyway.[/b] If this was you horsefeathers, I'd hate to see what your poor dog would go through if he was hurt because YOU had a point to prove....[b]My poor dogs are still here with me, not thrown out, dumped, rehomed, or whatever word makes you feel all warm and fuzzy, because I as a responsible owner could not control them.[/b]
It is my choice whether or not to desex my dog. [b]You are right. It IS a choice. Unfortunately, it's the forthcoming puppies that will be the ones to suffer as a result of YOUR irresponsibility. Hopefully, they will ALL go to homes where they will be trained properly and not passed from owner to owner. Then again, once you have your stud fee, recouping your money from this expensive beast, it won't be your problem, anymore, will it? No, it'll be the problem of people like ME who have to deal with the fallout from irresponsible breeding practices. It's one thing not to know. It's another thing to know and not care. Justify it anyway you want. A spade is still a spade.[/b][/quote]

[quote name='GonetotheDOGS']I have to say that I have read the posts here and have gone back and read the ones reffered to herein and I find it apalling that someone in this forum can't post without being "beaten up" by another member. It sounds as though a simple question was taking way to far by a reader who felt they had the right to attack when they [b]don't[/b].
No one that cares enough for their animals to come online and inquire for their health, safety and general well being deserves to be attacked for doing something that is so obviously hard for them to do in the first place and was only done for the well being of the animal. I hope for Ebby's sake that at least some of you were supportive because they obviously found giving their dog up to be a hard thing to do. From the readings I gather that their reason for 'rehoming' their dog, as they put it, was not in favour of a new one, but out of fear for the animal's safety. I cant say I would have done any different.
And honestly, if I bought a $2000 dog I would hope to breed it as well [b]There went your credibility[/b]. They arent raising the puppies [b]therefore no interest?! What's the point here?![/b], they arent selling them to pet stores. They simply want to allow breeders the opportunity to use him if they have interest - their reasons are besides the point [b]no responsible breeder would EVER say such a thing... only those out to make a buck[/b]-what is any breeders reasons? There is nothing wrong with that if they are providing a loving and caring environment for the animal [b]Yoo hoo... and what about this animal's offspring?[/b]. And anyone who would part with an animal they obviously love for the animal's well being - despite how much it hurts them cannot be providing an unhealthy environment for animals if you ask me. Any breeders out there do not know what happens to ALL of their puppies. Look in other sections of this forum where pictured of mutilated dogs are and tell me you are all 100% sure that has never happened to ANY of your bred animals. And isnt EVERY breeder doing what they do for profit? [b]Absolutely NOT!! You obviously only know the millers and bybs[/b] It is rare, NO practically unheard of, to find a breeder who is breeding simply to keep the breed going. [b]This is so far off base... h*ll, I'm actually speechless that anyone could say this with a straight face.[/b]
In my opinion Ebby is doing nothing wrong and anyone who is willing to 'beat up' another member of this post in public forum had better look after their own animals before attacking someone else who is so obviously an animal lover and caring owner. [b]My own animals are JUST fine, thanks for inquiring.[/b][/quote]

Tell you what... tell me what kind of rescue work you do and how you are affiliated with the shelters? What are YOU doing to make a difference? I get to see EVERY SINGLE STINKING day the results of irresponsible breeding. My interests are not with the touchy feely emotions of the owners. My interests are with the unfortunate results of these breeders. I couldn't give a tinker's d@m if you spent $2000 or $2mil on a dog. A responsible breeder would not have to come to a dog forum looking for a mate for their dog, nor would they state that they need to "recoup" the money spent on a dog. So we have another someone who places monetary value above anything else with these animals? How sad.

Another hit and run puff 'n fluff poster. Gee golly, all that sounds nice, but is so far out in left field, it's ridiculous.

Call it attacking if you want to. A forum is used to exchange ideas and opinions and they don't always coincide. Just because I strongly disagree does not mean I do not have the right to state my opinion which, by the way, is shared by several who chose not to come forward. Again, my interests are with the resulting puppies.

$2000 is in no way a guarantee that this dog is fit to be bred. It only means that another sucker was born at that exact moment.

I have just spent over $5000.00 for a TPLO operation on my dog. She is of two show champions and has all health certificates. Would I breed her just to 'recoup' some of the money I have spent on both her purchase and her vet fees NO I would not. Would I breed her to 'recoup' some of the money I have spent on training her, again NO. If your dog was ripping up leather jackets then they should not have been where the dog could get at them. Puppies wreck things, so do young children so the answer to that problem is watch your dog.
The reason breeders do what they do is to better the breed, they rarely make a profit from it as the veterinary and health expenses eat up any money they get at sale of pups. Backyard breeders just don't care and if there are complications to the bitch and pups then 'bad luck'.
The only reason to breed is to better the breed not to recoup the price of the dog. Shame on you.

Hey, Sasha, thanks! I know I'm not the only one and I do get soooo mad at people just breeding dogs leisurely with no regard as to what happens to the offspring. I totally overlooked the notion that the one person thinks I breed my dogs. Nopers, I'm too busy raising and rehabilitating unwanted animals. You know.... the results of irresponsible breeders.

Absolutely maddening. :x

Lol, as for my computer, it's still kind of wonky. I originally typed my reply first thing this morning and it wouldn't go. Did it again this evening and it took several attempts to get it in there. This was one I just had to keep trying and trying at... :lol:

Fortunately, *whew* that's what I did this morning and then just pasted it into my reply tonight. Well, saved it to notepad, anyway. If I hadn't, I'd have been so screwed and had to retype all that over again. I finally learned. :x

Here's a nice little PM I just got from Miss Ebby. How cute and so articulate. She took the time to address me personally and tried to ever so eloquently state her position. She said simply,
"kiss my arse...you have no idea what you are talkin about ...as usual" <<< :lol:

Note to self... I think Ebby and GoneToTheDogs are one and the same....

[b]Ebby[/b], just a Q, if your Nieghbors threatened to "kill" Jazz, then why won't they "threaten to kill" your Golden?

Come on Ebb, your Golden doesn't deserve this! :o NO DOG SHOULD BE BRED! ONLY PEOPLE WHO WANNA IMPROVE THE BREED AND ARE BREEDERS!( you know that right?) :-?

Im really sad now....so I'll leave.....I just feel sorry for your Golden. NO Golden deserves this...no DOG deserves this........ :cry:

Oh yeah, you DO NOT have the right to threaten Horsefeathers off the forum as she's been here a MUCH longer time then you, and she's part of the BIG pack, and we all LOVE her!(LUV YA HORSE!) :wink:

I hope my post is not offensive(sp), but that's just my opinion about the situation.....

I just PM'd you, com'n you seem nice, I can't believe and will not believe that your BREEDING, and I hope from my post and others you will understand how horrible it is... :cry:

:o :o :o :o :o :o :o

Well well well
I turn my computer off go to bed and all hell breaks loose.

oh dear where do i start.
THIS IS A DOG FORUM, WE ALL HAVE DIFFERENT OPINIONS.
IT IS HARD SOMETIMES FOR FEELING NOT TO GET HURT.
EBBY, YOU HAVE A RIGHT TO YOUR OPINIONS.
HORSEFEATHERS YOU HAVE A RIGHT TO YOURS.
GONETOTHE DOGS aka EBBY YOU DONT NEED TO BE SOMEONE ELSE
TO TRY TO GET YOUR POINT ACCROSS :oops:
IT IS NOT RIGHT TO PM SOMEONE WITH RUDENESS JUST BECAUSE YOU
FEEL GOT AT.
EBBY, LETS FACE THE DOG YOU HAVE NOW FIRST.
OWNING A STUD DOG IS NOT A SIMPLE THING,
MANY MANY PROBLEMS CAN OCCUR DURING A MATING.
YOU ARE ALSO RESPONSILBE FOR THOSE PUPPIES, NOT KNOWING THE
BREED VERY WELL TO START WITH, HOW ARE YOU GOING TO
HAVE THE EXPERIENCE TO SAY, ONE IF THE BITCH IS GOOD ENOUGH FOR THE DOG, TWO IS THE LINES WILL MIX WELL, THREE IS ALL THE
TESTS THAT SHOULD BE DONE ON THE BITCH ARE OK AND CORRECT.
FOUR IF THE BITCH CARRIES ANY DOGGIE VD. THE LIST CAN GO ON AND ON.
I WOULD PERSONALLY IF I WERE YOU, ENJOY YOUR DOG FOR THE TIME BEING. GO TO ALL THE SHOWS, WATCH ,TALK ,LEARN, GATHER YOUR KNOWLEDGE, UNDERSTAND THE BREED, ITS FINER POINTS, UNDERSTAND BREED TYPE. LEARN LEARN LEARN.

OWNING A STUD DOG IS NOT ALL ROSES. ANYTHING THAT IS WRONG WITH ANY LITTERS SIRED HE WILL ALWAYS GET THE BLAME.
HOW WOULD YOU KNOW IF THE BITCH WAS READY, WHAT WOULD YOU DO IF THE BITCH WAS UNCO OPERATIVE, WHAT IF WHEN TIED THE BITCH ATTACKED THE DOG, HOW LONG WOULD YOU LEAVE THEM TOGETHER BEFORE GETTING A VET OUT.

HORSEFEATHERS IS A TRUE DOG LOVER, HAS RESCUED AND HELPED, FEELS NEUTERING AND SPAYING IS THE WAY TO GO. HORSEFEATHERS
WILL TELL IT TO YOU AS IT IS. OMETIMES PEOPLE NEED TO SAY THINGS AND STICK THEIR NECKS OUT FOR THE GOOD OF DOGS.
YES FEELINGS CAN GET HURT, I HAVE DONE THIS BEFORE MYSELF WHEN I FEEL SOMETHING SHOULD BE SAID. I KNOW I UPSET THE PERSON DEEPLY, BUT I GOT MY POINT ACROSS AND OTHERS WHO HAD SAID NOTHING IN THE PAST STOOD TALL TOO. MANY OF YOU READING THIS WILL KNOW WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT. BUT AT THE END OF THE DAY IT WAS ABOUT THE DOG, NOT ABOUT HURT FEELINGS. I CAN HONESTLY SAY THAT ALTHOUGH I SAID THINGS THAT UPSET SOMEONE THAT PERSON KNOWS I WILL HELP THEM HOWEVER I CAN STILL.

EBBY, SWALLOW YOUR PRIDE, RE READ WHAT HAS BEEN WRITTEN.
SIT BACK AND THINK ABOUT IT. AGREE TO DISAGREE, AND THATS ALL I HAVE TO SAY ON THE MATTER.

ROO

I have only just finished reading the forum and I am in complete agreement with Horsefeathers & Roo.
[color=red]This dog does not owe you anything ( apart from his love & loyalty) you chose to buy him not the other way round.[/color]
Has he had all his tests to be sure he has the best breed qualities to pass on to his offspring & no hereditary faults.
Do [color=red]please[/color] think very carefully before starting this enterprise as it may turn and bite you where it hurts-----[color=darkred]IN YOUR POCKET[/color] :roll:
Ickle

Horsefeathers --- great post

Anne --- well said.

Sasha, K and Roo --- add me.

I wasn't going to say a word, but starting feeling a need to just express my anal glands.....I mean my opinion.

Ebby --- the Chow mix wasn't the first dog that you've had to rehome, is it? Didn't you say in one post that the Chow mix was kept in a kennel? And that his intelligence was awsome? Does or doesn't the new dog have all his titles? Why was he *retired* from showing at such an early age? Not that you will respond, but please tell me what you know about genetics? Genetics is the foundation of a breeding program, isn't it?

Wednesday, we took Guy (the Kelpie pup) to the Orthopedic surgeon for his preliminary health exam, post-surgery that is scheduled for Tuesday. The surgeon is going to try to repair his front leg, which was broken in 2 places when he was 4 months old. Guess what the cost is? $3750.00. Does HE OWE me anything? No.....I owe HIM. [b][u]I OWE him[/u][/b], because I gave him my promise that I would always protect, love and care for him no matter what. Do I EXPECT him to repay me? No, not in a million years.

Am I breeder? No, I am a "Steward of the Kelpie breed". We strive to better the breed, to ensure the herding instinct and desire to work is nurtured, kept safe and continued.

Do I breed for profit? No, there is absolutely NO profit, whatsoever in breeding!! If you think there is, you have NO idea what you are doing. Preventative health care, maintainance, food, emergency health care, is NOT cheap.

I know where every single puppy that we have produced is located, still know their birthday, know their name, know how and what type of livestock they work ----- they are guaranteed for LIFE, with a written contract, that if for what ever reason that they can no longer be kept --- THEY COME BACK TO ME -- NO QUESTIONS ASKED.

Do we rescue? YES, we have rescued many, many dogs in the past and still take dogs in from irresponsible breeders looking to make a "profit" that DIDN'T. We took in 18 Kelpies from just that sort of individual not too long ago. The dogs were the ones that suffered. Do I expect ANY of them to repay me for that? NO.....not in a million years.

We --- including other persons on this dog forum --- do what we do because we love our dogs, we love our breed, we are passionate about what we do, and are heartbroken when someone comes along and says, "I want to recoop some of my money".........they are no better than a puppy mill, or a pet shop owner, or a back yard breeder.

Our recent rescue --- the Kelpie girl, Sissy --- lived in a very small kennel, one that was never cleaned out. She was not vaccinated, not dewormed, starved, filthy, stunk, and had her own fecal matter encrusted in her feet. She had to lay, walk, eat, sleep and smell her own excretement -- daily. She has a clean place to eat, sleep, walk, play, smell and is able to be with us everyday. She is well fed, vaccinated, on HW preventative and is LOVED. Will she be a puppy machine? NEVER! Do I expect her to pay me back? No, never in a million years. Everytime I look at her, I get angry at the person that produced her *** NOT for producing her *** but for NOT taking care of her, not checking up on her, not looking after her well being, not being there to protect her!!

If WE as human beings don't PROTECT the less fortunate....who will?