Dogomania

Winter activities

gooeydog

• 9 months later...

I guess I would have to disagree that it is'nt ideal, up to a point. Most dogs can pull, be it a sled or a skier(called ski-jouring). I've seen skiers pulled by everything from Standard poodles, Blue heelers, Setters, Goldens Labs and even a pair of Rotties. There are certain breeds tho that would have a harder time of it- those with a pre-disposition to hip problems, and those whose builds make it harder for them to pull. The GSD's I've seen lately with the radically dropped rear ends would be a problem, as would extremely heavy boned breeds or if your dog is overweight. There are tons of races all over the U.S for novice ski-jourers , most no longer that a mile or two. the best way to get a feel for it is to attend a race and meet some of the mushers-most are very willing to share what they know. There is also allot of info on the web about ski-jouring and sledding. Have fun, but beware- it's addicting!

I'd like to try ski-jouring this year. :D
If, the snow is deep enough, then just taking the dog on a walk usually will get them tired. Since they sink in the snow, they basically have to jump around to get where they want to go. :lol: :lol: For some dogs that doesn't work though, because some can walk on top of the snow. :)